Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can people who have been phoned after being pooled either for another interview or with an offer please write what happened. Like what grades did you get at GCSE and A-Level.

Also when did people hear? Does anyone know that stats, do a lot of people get re-interviewed or do most not?

The reason I ask is because my exam results weren't great but I think I did ok in my interviews. I REALLY hope I get another interview so that at least I still have some involvement in the whole process and not that it is totally out of my control.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    WRT stats, the sheet I was sent said that every year there are over 14,000 applicants for about 3,450 places. In a typical year, 3,300 offers are made directly and roughly 600 through the pool.

In 2002:
    3,487 applicants were pooled
    380 applicants were re-interviewed
    225 applicants were made direct offers without further interview
    634 applicants received offers through the Pool.

With me, I was phoned this morning at about 10.30 by the Newnham admissions tutor. She said that they'd looked at my application and would like to make me an offer of AAA (for Geography), and that I'd receive written confirmation of this on 15/16th Jan. She also said that they'd send me a prospectus, suggested that I go and have a look around Newnham and gave me her phone number for any other queries (she was v nice!).

I got 9.5A*s at GCSE, 3As and probably a B (sat the final Maths module in Nov last year and have not yet been sent the result) at AS (not including General Studies) and am predicted 3As at A Level. I wasn't very impressive in interview, but my personal statement and submitted work was reasonably good.

I hope that's of some help and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You should speak to haz about Newnham, Katiyakat. Well done!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    WRT stats, the sheet I was sent said that every year there are over 14,000 applicants for about 3,450 places. In a typical year, 3,300 offers are made directly and roughly 600 through the pool.

In 2002:
    3,487 applicants were pooled
    380 applicants were re-interviewed
    225 applicants were made direct offers without further interview
    634 applicants received offers through the Pool.

With me, I was phoned this morning at about 10.30 by the Newnham admissions tutor. She said that they'd looked at my application and would like to make me an offer of AAA (for Geography), and that I'd receive written confirmation of this on 15/16th Jan. She also said that they'd send me a prospectus, suggested that I go and have a look around Newnham and gave me her phone number for any other queries (she was v nice!).

I got 9.5A*s at GCSE, 3As and probably a B (sat the final Maths module in Nov last year and have not yet been sent the result) at AS (not including General Studies) and am predicted 3As at A Level. I wasn't very impressive in interview, but my personal statement and submitted work was reasonably good.

I hope that's of some help and good luck!
    that's great news! my original college rung me this afternoon on my mobile while i was at college and made me an offer, i was really surprised!! Don't know what the grades are i have to get yet, i presume i'll be told when i receive written confirmation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    Please can people who have been phoned after being pooled either for another interview or with an offer please write what happened. Like what grades did you get at GCSE and A-Level.

Also when did people hear? Does anyone know that stats, do a lot of people get re-interviewed or do most not?

The reason I ask is because my exam results weren't great but I think I did ok in my interviews. I REALLY hope I get another interview so that at least I still have some involvement in the whole process and not that it is totally out of my control.

Thanks!
    Phoned for a second interview.

My GCSEs are failrly dodgy for an oxbridge cantidate.
    (2A* 7A 1B 1C)

AS: AAAA
    A2 Prediction: AAA

ReputationRep:
    when were u phoned, and what colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess)
    when were u phoned, and what colleges?
    Pooled by St Johns, then phoned at 9pm on Sunday by Robinson to be offered an interview on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    You should speak to haz about Newnham, Katiyakat. Well done!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Newnham is very pretty and also quite well located, for some arts subjects anyway, not sure about Geography.

ReputationRep:
    Well done musicman! Bet you're happy

I'm not sure that I'm going to take my Newnham offer (I might go to Durham instead) but will not decide either way until I've had a look around the college.

ReputationRep:
    katiyakat, which durham college have you applied to? assuming that cambridge aren't having me (heard nothing from the pool yet) i have grey at durham as my first choice - it has a cheese society! although all the colleges seem fairly similar, i went to a good selection of their bars and enjoyed every one of them (extremely cheap too).

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the castle (I know, I know, but it's a castle - what more could a girl want?!) and they've offered me AAB (yes for leeway!) I absolutely loved Durham when I went up there to have a look around. It's beautiful and I really liked the atmosphere (plus thw college rivalries sound fun!) I would have gone there very very happily if I hadn't heard anything more from Cambridge, but I did and hence it's all a bit complicated now. Agh!

ReputationRep:
    i almost applied to castle but went for grey in the end cos of the competition for places at castle and i didn't want to be put in mary's. i wish i had gone for it now, because living in a castle is just fantasy brilliant, and i got my offer really early so maybe they liked me college rivalries do look fun! the only bad thing was a friend from hild bede was showing us round the college bars and happened to be wearing her college t-shirt which was fine everywhere except for collingwood, where loads of minging rugby players started being mean... i think it would be better if there were a pack of hild beders there though, so its all fun i'm sure. ooh and if we are at different colleges we can play funny tricks on each other!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.