AQA B AS English Language Watch

NihilisticMystics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Anyone else doing this exam on thursday? How you all feeling about it?

Also how are you revising for it? I only actually need a C (picked up another AS in year 13) but I'm still panicking slightly, after doing some practise exams I've realised how massively unprepared I am. :woo:
Kar09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey.. i'm doing the same spec as you..the AQA one! i'm really worried actually even though i've done quite a few essays...:/

i'm revising on the terminology and the theories (power and gender). I revise on the sheets the teacher gave us and i did revision cards as well.

GOOD LUCK! ;D
xKINGxHAZAx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What sorts of terminology are you looking at?

I'm currently looking back over all of the lexical framework to make sure it's fresh in my mind.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which question are you planning to do? Power/Gender/technology?
Elaiine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm planning to be top tip with power, with enough revision on gender so i'll have a choice with backed knowledge on what to confidently answer
bun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Me too, I can say loads about fairclough etc and other power things, and the same with Gender theorists like Lakoff and B/L and Tannen etc, but I really don't know anything about technology. (Then again, we never actually covered it in lessons)
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Me too, I can say loads about fairclough etc and other power things, and the same with Gender theorists like Lakoff and B/L and Tannen etc, but I really don't know anything about technology. (Then again, we never actually covered it in lessons)
Dyou have a sit or could you list some theorist I can look up for 'Gender' as I'm in need for some serious help
Quote me please

ooooh, and I'm just learning terminology and looking at writing as much linguistic things on paper:yep:
bun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
Dyou have a sit or could you list some theorist I can look up for 'Gender' as I'm in need for some serious help
Quote me please

ooooh, and I'm just learning terminology and looking at writing as much linguistic things on paper:yep:
The ones I like to name/use and find it easy to use are:
Robin Lakoff; William O'Barr and Bowman Atkins; Deborah Tannen; Janet Holmes; Jennifer Coates. I would imagine there are more, but these are all easy to use. Lakoff is certainly easiest to use, for example you can talk about how she reckons women hedge more because they are less confident, then you can compare that to coates, who believes it is because they want to avoid face threatening acts (which allows you to bring in brown and levinson here.) Thus you can get a load of facts in about theorists, and also you can talk about the context of the texts.
Hope this is vaguely useful?
If you want any more help, or info on any of these theorists, just ask
X44KSA
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Which question are you planning to do? Power/Gender/technology?

hey im only revisin 4 technology and power....but the problem is i dont know how to structure my answers thats wahs lacking me behind.
av u got any tips x

thnx
bun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aqsawaheed)
hey im only revisin 4 technology and power....but the problem is i dont know how to structure my answers thats wahs lacking me behind.
av u got any tips x

thnx
Well, always start off with G.R.A.S.P. "Genre, Register, Audience, Subject, People" in the intro. Then, assuming int's an advert for power, maybe mention Wareing, and what type of power it is "influential, instrumental etc." And, with any luck, it will be an advert, and then you can just have 3 paragraphs - each one based on a stage of Fairclough's theory. Then you can create some sort of basic conclusion.

As for technology, I have absolutely no idea. I haven't looked at it, or even studied it for more than 2 lessons at school.
EeE7
Report 9 years ago
Hello there...
Please can someone shed some light on what groupings would get you the higher grades? I really need an A, and have been told subtle grouings are best, for instance, use of personal pronouns. However I find it difficult to write lots about such a specific linguistic element! What do you think you will chose in the exam? Plus how many groupings do you think you will make? We have been advised 3..
Also, i'm hoping for a really good gender Q!
Cheers.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EeE7)
Hello there...
Please can someone shed some light on what groupings would get you the higher grades? I really need an A, and have been told subtle grouings are best, for instance, use of personal pronouns. However I find it difficult to write lots about such a specific linguistic element! What do you think you will chose in the exam? Plus how many groupings do you think you will make? We have been advised 3..
Also, i'm hoping for a really good gender Q!
Cheers.
Well, I generally go with fairly large groupings, for example, my last past paper, I did, "Inform, Persuade, Formal, and Audience," of the texts. I find there is alot more to say about these larger groups. They may not be as subtle as something like 'pronoun use' but I got full marks, so I'm hoping that's not just the teacher being nice (which I doubt.) So even for these larger, less subtle groups, you can still get full marks. Having said that, I tend to waffle on far too long, and not have enough time for the language/gender question.
xKINGxHAZAx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've remember a short and stupid mash of letters acronym, but it helps me.

I make a table using "PAFFL" as headings

------PURPOSE AUDIENCE FORMALITY FORMAT LANGUAGE
A
B
C
D
E
F

I then fill out the above table at see what matches, and i believe you pick up a mark for doing this aswell, so it can't hurt.

Personal Pronouns are good to comment about, but i wouldn't have a group on them. The group should maybe be texts to PERSUADE, you can then discuss how Personal Pronouns are used to create a friendly relationship with the audience which will then encourage them to buy the product or service...that sort of thing.
kuroshokora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My personal policy on revision is to make notes on everything I've done in class for the exams, and then lay that out in PowerPoint forms. If anybody wants to have a look at some of the PowerPoints I've made for terminology, they're free to, but remember that my school probably teaches the spec in a slightly different way so don't panic if you don't understand any of the stuff

Obviously Power and Gender relate directly to those areas, the rest are to help with the Grouping section and for general guidance and terminology, and you might notice that there's nothing for Technology (I'm making that PPt right now! Will post it up if I get it finished soon)

At the moment, I'm most confident with Gender so that's probably the question I'll pick for the second half.
Attached files
NihilisticMystics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by kuroshokora)
My personal policy on revision is to make notes on everything I've done in class for the exams, and then lay that out in PowerPoint forms. If anybody wants to have a look at some of the PowerPoints I've made for terminology, they're free to, but remember that my school probably teaches the spec in a slightly different way so don't panic if you don't understand any of the stuff

Obviously Power and Gender relate directly to those areas, the rest are to help with the Grouping section and for general guidance and terminology, and you might notice that there's nothing for Technology (I'm making that PPt right now! Will post it up if I get it finished soon)

At the moment, I'm most confident with Gender so that's probably the question I'll pick for the second half.
Kuroshokora, you are a beautiful, beautiful person. Thank you for sharing your powerpoints
itmightbefriday
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kuroshokora)
Yay, thankyou so much. These were really helpful.

For Language & Gender I know the following theorists and their work:

- Robin Lakoff (1975)
- Zimmerman & West (1975)
- O'Barr & Atkins (1980)
- Deborah Tannen (1990)
- Dale Spender (1960)

Are there any more key theorists that I should learn?
oh_wayne
Report 9 years ago
I totally freak out on the groupings, I have no idea where to begin at all, I mean I know you can link stuff by purpose, audience etc. but I don't know what to annotate.

I'm okay on the other part of the exam cus it seems as if there's something to actually look for, if you know what I mean, like how something goes against research on women's language or whatever; but for groupings I just sit there like :confused: WHERE DO I BEGIN?
xnatalie01x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xKINGxHAZAx)
I've remember a short and stupid mash of letters acronym, but it helps me.

I make a table using "PAFFL" as headings

------PURPOSE AUDIENCE FORMALITY FORMAT LANGUAGE
A
B
C
D
E
F

I then fill out the above table at see what matches, and i believe you pick up a mark for doing this aswell, so it can't hurt.

Personal Pronouns are good to comment about, but i wouldn't have a group on them. The group should maybe be texts to PERSUADE, you can then discuss how Personal Pronouns are used to create a friendly relationship with the audience which will then encourage them to buy the product or service...that sort of thing.
Thanks I'm going to use that
kuroshokora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And, just finished, here's a Technology PowerPoint as well, hope it comes in useful
Attached files
amyloupoo
Report 9 years ago
Hi guys I am also doing this exam tomorrow, so scared as I don't feel I know much at all!, I am alright with the frameworks etc but its just the theroists I have no idea about, I am most likely going to be doing language and power, and I know about language and stuff but its just stuff like assigned power etc!
Can anyone help me!?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%