Durham vs Edinburgh vs KCL for Marketing Watch

strike
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys,

once again a battle of Universities. :rolleyes: Hope you can help me out.

I would like to do my master in Marketing in either one of these unis. I received offers from all of them.

Personally, I look for:

- good overall reputation (note: I am not from the UK)
- good reputation in business studies
- good job prospects
- intense University experience (eg. sport, pubs, tight student community, nice girls )
- still, studying is my major focus...

What do you guys think? My favourite seems to be Durham. Great reputation, great student reviews. However, I slightly fear that there is not much going on (though I am not a club-person). Can't really tell though.

King's College London, however, is in LONDON. Best city in the world. Lots of stuff to do. However, it might be a little "too much". So much, so one can't really get the full university experience.

Edinburgh seems nice, but somehow I am not really convinced.

What do you guys reckon???

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! :cool:
Focus08
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by strike)
Hey guys,

I would like to do my master in Marketing in either one of these unis. I received offers from all of them.

Personally, I look for:

- good job prospects
- intense University experience (eg. sport, pubs, tight student community, nice girls )

What do you guys think? My favourite seems to be Durham. Great reputation, great student reviews. However, I slightly fear that there is not much going on (though I am not a club-person). Can't really tell though.

King's College London, however, is in LONDON. Best city in the world. Lots of stuff to do. However, it might be a little "too much". So much, so one can't really get the full university experience.

I would say Edinburgh, but since you are not convinced, go for Durham. Don't do kcl for masters..
equix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say KCL, seems to have a good reputation and overall ranking + its in london
strike
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks you guys for your answers. quite different opinions. any other??
cpl.fir
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi strike. Congrats on your offers. While King's has a wonderful reputation for programmes in law, dentistry, music etc, its business programmes are not yet well established.

If I am not wrong, the University of Edinburgh Business School's MSc Marketing programme is new. I'd say go for Durham and bring extra cash for weekend trips to London and the rest of Europe!

G'luck buddy!
Alex~
Report 9 years ago
All three options have their pluses and minuses. London and Edinburg are large cities, whilst Durham is a much smaller one, crowded with students and a few tourists. Strictly referring to reputation, I believe Durham has the best department out of these three.
Theological_Hattie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

King's College London, however, is in LONDON. Best city in the world.
London? Best city in the world? Not even in the top 10, IMO! Go for Durham (I'm not biased).
arif_fahim
Report 9 years ago
Hey!

I am very confused, I want to do Masters in Marketing:

have applied to,

1) Warwick
2) Edinburgh
3) Durham
4) Leeds
5) Lancaster
6) Strathclyde
7) Birmingham

Other options I had considered were,
1) Bath
2) Nottingham

I have spent a lot of time going through the course structure at Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham, Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham and Bath. I feel the MA Marketing programme at Durham has the best structured course. The course offers students, maximum choice in electives and good core modules. The collegiate system at Durham is another plus for me, I am not from the UK. Durham is a smaller city, would have limited opportunity. Durham and most others in the above list have the CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing Accreditation).

Edinburgh have started MSc Marketing this year, however the content looks impressive. Edinburgh is one of the best Universities globally, Edinburgh is a capital city, has more opportunity and life. Edinburgh course doesn't offer much choice and doesn't have the CIM accreditation. Edinburgh Business School has a very prominent advisory board.

I am doubtful about my chances to Warwick, however it won't be my first choice anyway. I like the course content, looks pretty impressive.

I don't like the course at Lancaster, again small city so limited opportunity.

Birmingham is not the best choice, doesn't have a very good rank and not many testimonials to check credibility.

Strathclyde, Leeds, Bath and Nottingham were safe options and I am not considering them anymore.

After spending long hours on the University's websites, I decided to see the course faculty and their interest background. I feel again Durham scores higher than others on the list, the teachers like what I like. :-)

I am very confused and unclear of my choice, I like Durham for sure. But, would it be a wise idea to let go off Edinburgh instead.

How important is the CIM accreditation ?

Durham and Warwick are ranked much higher than the others according to the Times Good University Guide rankings. Lancaster and Warwick Business Schools are ranked quite high globally according to the MBA rankings on FT.com. Edinburgh isn't ranked great in either; however has the best global reputation in all the above. Leeds, Birmingham, Strathclyde, Nottingham are ranked lower in FT and Times; I am guessing these would be the A- category.

I feel Durham has the best blend of University reputation and Business School rankings, the programme is also quite well equipped. Still Edinburgh VS Durham is a tough call.

What about the comparison between Lancaster, Warwick and Durham ?

Please help.

Thanks.
AlbertoS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Arif!

I'm going through the same process as you now. Looking for good Masters in Marketing in UK in order to complete my Bachelor in Business Management and Administration. So, I have been putting a lot of effort on it, searching on the Internet, speaking to my teachers, asking people everywhere....

So far, I've seen some interesting courses at Leeds, Edinburgh, Durham and at a University in London called ESCP. Apart from the latter, whose reputation is unknown to me, all of them seem to be good options. I have also in my list Bath, Lancaster, Strathclyde, Warwick, Aston... (as you can see, we have the same taste ) but I'm not sure about my chances (Warwick) and if their contents will satisfy me.

As you have done this before I was wondering if you could help me solve my doubts.
I'm sure you will give me good suggestions.

This process is really wearing me out. The more I search the more confused I get.

Thank you
Fabstone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,

Personally, I look for:

- good job prospects

Which one did you go for, after all? I am in between Durham and Edinburgh this year and I'd like the opinion of someone who's been through the same. Although Marketing now at Durham has been re-structured and it's a MSc now.
Fabstone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by arif_fahim)
Hey!

I am very confused, I want to do Masters in Marketing:

have applied to,

1) Warwick
2) Edinburgh
3) Durham
4) Leeds
5) Lancaster
6) Strathclyde
7) Birmingham

Other options I had considered were,
1) Bath
2) Nottingham

I have spent a lot of time going through the course structure at Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham, Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham and Bath. I feel the MA Marketing programme at Durham has the best structured course. The course offers students, maximum choice in electives and good core modules. The collegiate system at Durham is another plus for me, I am not from the UK. Durham is a smaller city, would have limited opportunity. Durham and most others in the above list have the CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing Accreditation).

Edinburgh have started MSc Marketing this year, however the content looks impressive. Edinburgh is one of the best Universities globally, Edinburgh is a capital city, has more opportunity and life. Edinburgh course doesn't offer much choice and doesn't have the CIM accreditation. Edinburgh Business School has a very prominent advisory board.

I am doubtful about my chances to Warwick, however it won't be my first choice anyway. I like the course content, looks pretty impressive.

I don't like the course at Lancaster, again small city so limited opportunity.

Birmingham is not the best choice, doesn't have a very good rank and not many testimonials to check credibility.

Strathclyde, Leeds, Bath and Nottingham were safe options and I am not considering them anymore.

After spending long hours on the University's websites, I decided to see the course faculty and their interest background. I feel again Durham scores higher than others on the list, the teachers like what I like. :-)

I am very confused and unclear of my choice, I like Durham for sure. But, would it be a wise idea to let go off Edinburgh instead.

How important is the CIM accreditation ?

Durham and Warwick are ranked much higher than the others according to the Times Good University Guide rankings. Lancaster and Warwick Business Schools are ranked quite high globally according to the MBA rankings on FT.com. Edinburgh isn't ranked great in either; however has the best global reputation in all the above. Leeds, Birmingham, Strathclyde, Nottingham are ranked lower in FT and Times; I am guessing these would be the A- category.

I feel Durham has the best blend of University reputation and Business School rankings, the programme is also quite well equipped. Still Edinburgh VS Durham is a tough call.

What about the comparison between Lancaster, Warwick and Durham ?

Please help.

Thanks.
Which one did you go for, after all? I am in between Durham, Strathclyde and Edinburgh this year and I'd like the opinion of someone who's been through the same. Although Marketing now at Durham has been re-structured and it's a MSc now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (120)
58.82%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
4.9%
No- I want it (58)
28.43%
No- I don't want it (16)