Philosophy & Ethics A2 OCR Watch

megamaya17
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hii ! my exam is on the 11th of june and im really nervouse for it! i really dont understand anything on religious language and im praying that the other alternative question are answerable for me!! isit a big risk for me to miss out rel lang? :eek3:

i have 2 teachers for philosophy, 1 works 2 days a week and i see her for 2 lessons shes really good but the other 1 is so crap and shes in 5 days a week! she never makes time for any of us, whenever she says shes gona do revision sessions she backs out or she makes an excuse! ERGHH!

im fine with pretty much everything else but rel lang is a killer and i realyl dont know how 2 teach myself it ! i have 2 weeks until the exam! pleaseee advise me!
also can revelation and scripture come up? i mean my "CRAP teacher" didnt eventeach us it, she told us 2 go hme and read the chapter, so im not expecting a question on it!

can anyone help me with omni benovelent god and eternal god?
ShabzM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Revelation and holy scripture rarely comes up, that's not to say it won't come up in June.
In both the specimen paper and Jan 2010, life after death, nature of god and religious language came up. Miracles also came up in Jan. That leaves revelation and religious experience. Language comes up every year. I think something about analogy will come up which is fairly easy, or another aspect of rel language. My teacher said it is most likely to come up because it has come up without doubt every year - might be in the form of myth or symbols.
I haven't revised nature of God yet, I have a feeling it won't come up but obviously going to revise it.
These are the questions that came in Jan 2010 and the specimen:
Specimen:
1. Evaluate the claim that corporate religious experience is no more than an illusion
2. Critically assess Dawkins claim that since life is no more than DNA reproducing itself there can be no life after death.
3. 'If God knows what we are going to do he has no right to reward the good and punish the wicked' Discuss
4. Critically compare the use of symbol with the use of analogy to express human understanding of God

Jan 2010:
1. Critically assess the philosophical problems raised by the belief that God is omniscient
2. Evaluate the claim that belief in miracles leads to a belief in a God who favours some but not all of his creation.
3. Evaluate the claim that there can be no disembodied existence after death
4. Critically assess the views of Paul Tillich on religious language

Hope this was useful!
megamaya17
i really dont understand rel lang so do u think i can afford to miss it out? and what kinda questions can we get asked on revelation and scripture i mean my teacher hasnt even taught it to us...
ShabzM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by megamaya17)
i really dont understand rel lang so do u think i can afford to miss it out? and what kinda questions can we get asked on revelation and scripture i mean my teacher hasnt even taught it to us...
No, don't miss out religious language. Its quite a big topic. The key ideas are:

- verificationism (Ayer, Swinburne, Hick)
- falsification (Popper, Anthony Flew, Hare, Basil Mitchell)
- language games (this is a new topic to syllabus so could come up, Wittgenstein's idea)
- signs and symbols (Tillich)
- Via Negativa (Pseudo Dionysius, Brian Davies)
- myth
- analogy (Aquinas)
- models and qualifiers (Ian Ramsey)

If you learn these key ideas, you should be ok!
We weren't taught revelation either, if you look at the specification, its only a sub section, I think you can afford to miss that one out!
megamaya17
omg! but i dont undersand it and i cant teach myself it! ive tried using the textbook but my textbook is really crap too! im screwed man
ShabzM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by megamaya17)
omg! but i dont undersand it and i cant teach myself it! ive tried using the textbook but my textbook is really crap too! im screwed man
If you want, I can PM you my rel language notes, they are quite detailed and a little more simple than my textbook, which textbook do you have? The orange/light blue one written by the examiners?
megamaya17
yeah that would be helpful thanks

yeap thhats the 1, orange and light blue

i was just revising life after death and im so totally screwed dude
megamaya17
but i honestly do think im gona leave it out, i know its a massive risk but i just dont undeerstand it
i have friggiin two weeks until my exam and havent even covered eveything yet
megamaya17
what types of questions can you get on revelation and scripture
Slbrown92
Report 8 years ago
I did the Philo exam in January, and were told that you can afford to not revise one topic. I didn't revise Rel. Lang. As long as your confident with the other topics.
Even if religious language comes up, it can onle be 1 question out of 4, and you then have 3 to choose from. I think it's pointless to learn all topics, especially if you don't understand one that well, you're best using your time to really get a good understanding of the others.

Are you doing your Ethics exam as well is Philo this June?
megamaya17
(Original post by Slbrown92)
I did the Philo exam in January, and were told that you can afford to not revise one topic. I didn't revise Rel. Lang. As long as your confident with the other topics.
Even if religious language comes up, it can onle be 1 question out of 4, and you then have 3 to choose from. I think it's pointless to learn all topics, especially if you don't understand one that well, you're best using your time to really get a good understanding of the others.

Are you doing your Ethics exam as well is Philo this June?
nopp i did my ethics in jan and it was good !
ahh! im so glad u missed it out too, its super reassuring now
do u happen 2 have any mdoel answers on gods omnibenovelnce or holy scripture cuz my teacher is really crap and i really need help with this since im leaving out rel lang i need 2 ensure that i know the rest of the topics in side out!

the exam is next friday! im not even readyy for it..please help me out with omnibenoolvence and scripture. i always revsie by using essays so if u have anyyy omg it would be AWESOME!
im so screwed! i haevtne even started revsiing for my politics exam or sociology exam which is on the 29th and 30th of juen on top of my damn resit on the 28th of june!

im screwed :'(:'(
Slbrown92
Report 8 years ago
I don't remember doing essays on them to be honest; i don't think holy scripture would come up on it's own would it? It seems so long ago I did them!
I didn't realise there was an ethics exam in January, do you know where the past paper for it is?
sanyo
Report 8 years ago
what were the questions for the A2 June 2010 exams
redrobot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what were the questions for the A2 philosophy and ethics exam 2011 jan ????

thanks love you!
phiddy23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
THIS IS THE JUNE 2011 VERSION OF THIS FORUM: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1577038

If anyone has any info relevant to the coming - June 13th - exams (i.e. past questions from June 2010 and January 2011) post them there

Trust me, it helps. I revised only the topics that everyone said would come up for the AS and got 100% in both philosophy and ethics.
SpriteOrSevenUp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing this exam too! I used to find religious language difficult but I'm slowly getting my head around it.

I don't think it's a wise choice to completely miss out the religious language section though. I know we get a choice of four questions, but as someone previously said, it's quite a big topic!

PM me and we can try and revise it together!

Good luck
CharlieBaron10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/

guys check this website it is great for a-level RS, just click on topics on the top tab and everything is there!
Wanttobeasucess
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think there is any chance that 2 questions on the same topic will come up?!?
Because I'm only going to properly revise 4 topics out of 6 in Ethics. The worst that can happen is the 2 topics I don't revise come up and then I'll just choose the other 2 questions right!?
Need advice pleaseeee
!
ShabzM
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys, I did this exam last year and found that this website was quite useful:
http://www.rsrevision.com/Alevel/
The ethics part of it is a bit more helpful and there are posters which are quite good to print off and stick them around your room!
imtalkinboutshaq
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ShabzM)
If you want, I can PM you my rel language notes, they are quite detailed and a little more simple than my textbook, which textbook do you have? The orange/light blue one written by the examiners?

hey do you mind sending me all your notes? Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.49%
No (66)
98.51%

Watched Threads