are uni's strict on grades Watch

This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
im bothered about this coz i need 3 B's to get on a physio course but i doubt will get the grades. im taking a gap year though and am getting experience in healthcare. would they allow 2 c's and a B do u think or something like that or are they strict
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
im bothered about this coz i need 3 B's to get on a physio course but i doubt will get the grades. im taking a gap year though and am getting experience in healthcare. would they allow 2 c's and a B do u think or something like that or are they strict
It depends upon the individual institution I think, but there are standards to be maintained. The lifeline of a university is the quality of the students it can turn out. Or allows itself to graduate.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
It depends on the amount of people they have given offers to. This usually exceeds the number of places they have, so if everyone gets BBB and you don't, they probably would be strict.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, it all depends on the course and the university. It's simple supply and demand, if they don't have enough applicants they can't afford to be too picky.

BCC may be pushing it, which subjects are you doing? Usually if the universities are nice they'd let you drop one grade BBC and let you have the place. The other alternative is to try and work harder and ensure you get the results. Good luck.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
You may get taken if you miss the offer. I know that it happens frequently if you slip just one grade, but I am not sure about missing by two. If you miss an offer, whether you are taken will depend upon how good the rest of your app is... your experience in healthcare may help there. It also depends on what subjects you miss the grades in; i am not sure about a pysio course but in maths for example, if you missed the grade in maths they would be less likely to take you than if you missed the grade in history.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Physio is quite a competitive course and I doubt they will let you in with BCC, maybe BBC though. I have a friend who achieved AAAB at AS level and was rejected from all the uni's she applied to for physio except Kings, so I think they are quite picky.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It depends on the person as well as the grades my mate got turned down on my course as they said they didn't think he showed enough interest in the subject to be able to cope. I know they have taken people in with less than the 220 entry points though.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it depends on the uni but generally yes because of the competition.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree with all that has been, it depends on you, your course and the uni, among others.

However, what might be worth doing is to find the average alevel score for your course at the uni you want to go to - it will be in the times subjects league tables. If its average alevel score is BBB then it means you'll probably need it. But sometimes unis give "standard offers" which are higher than the results most people get, so although they might offer you BBB most people might get BBC. If this is the case they might me more inclined to take you.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What if your subject is not listed in the times? Like mine for example Multimedia and Internet Technology. Its in the school of computing so does it come under computer science?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What if your subject is not listed in the times? Like mine for example Multimedia and Internet Technology. Its in the school of computing so does it come under computer science?
What's the UCAS code?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'll find out.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's ok found it - H620 - as an H6 it's classed as electronic engineering by HESA and UCAS - which means it comes in the Times league tables under Electrical and Electronic Engineering
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

A lot of subjects wont appear in the times tables as only a few unis do them, in this case it will probably be included in the nearest subject grouping I suppose. So your degree would probably be computer science, unless theres anything that matchs it closer.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh sorry didnt read other post...there you go
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
H620
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It's ok found it - H620 - as an H6 it's classed as electronic engineering by HESA and UCAS - which means it comes in the Times league tables under Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Thats what my old school was called but its changed to the School of Sciences now so I guess thats how it got its subject area. I assume next year it will just change to computer science or somthing. There is very little electronics in the course.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
H620
Oh and btw I'm disgusted that you don't know your course code by heart (eg I applied in 1997 for F630 and F631 did a year of F631 before transferring to F6G5 and did a semester of that before dropping the CS and switching to straight F600 :eek: )
Missy8000
Report 15 years ago
Your gap year will help; but try and really focus on your exams.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thats what my old school was called but its changed to the School of Sciences now so I guess thats how it got its subject area. I assume next year it will just change to computer science or somthing. There is very little electronics in the course.
Course codes are supposed to be carefully thought out - in fact they're just a bit arbitrary (I'm having to contact the Times as we speak because our accounting course got switched to a NN code instead of an N4 code and so our (well qualified and well employed) accountants were being excluded from the business studies stats in the league tables :rolleyes: )
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise