The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boggieeiggob
Wow nice! Very good bargain! Try looking on amazon too for second hand books, my theory teacher has found me MANY books for literally a penny (plus postage). And I don't mean little ones, I mean proper ones like Gordon Jacob's Orchestral writing technique and A History of Western music. Just a heads up for next time :smile:
As for organ society, I'm afraid I don't know but if there is it should come up if you search for it although you're wry welcome here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love book shopping in charity shops but my high street's oxfam is seriously over priced, but there are loads of others like Age Uk that are good and I LOVE Sunday boot sales, we hire out a big open park space and I love going despite having to wake up at 6 or the good stuff will be gone

Don't you just love the old music sheet editions with the smudgey printing? Probably prefer modern ones to use but I would love to start a collection of old sheet music

jojotheflower, meow, over and out
Original post by jojotheflower
I love book shopping in charity shops but my high street's oxfam is seriously over priced, but there are loads of others like Age Uk that are good and I LOVE Sunday boot sales, we hire out a big open park space and I love going despite having to wake up at 6 or the good stuff will be gone

Don't you just love the old music sheet editions with the smudgey printing? Probably prefer modern ones to use but I would love to start a collection of old sheet music

Hm, fair enough. As long as you know where to find a good bargain ;D
I'm afraid I'm not a fan of old sheet music because I can't bear to have music that's falling apart D: but I can see what you mean by collecting vintage because I love that :3 part of why I prefer clockwork to electric metronomes too to be honest :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah! That makes sense. I posted an ad on gumtree, it's quite a good place instead of eBay because they take 10% off you :P

Haha, I only browse eBay, I never buy or sell anything myself so I wouldn't know. I suppose Gumtree would be a good place but just as a tip, I'd say state specifics about it like parts and brand and stuff because so many people buy a Steinway thinking in it's a Steinway but really it's just a shell with some makeshift parts so y'know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, I only browse eBay, I never buy or sell anything myself so I wouldn't know. I suppose Gumtree would be a good place but just as a tip, I'd say state specifics about it like parts and brand and stuff because so many people buy a Steinway thinking in it's a Steinway but really it's just a shell with some makeshift parts so y'know

Posted from TSR Mobile

eBay is pretty useful actually, I love but selling is a lot of trouble. Yes I made a whole list but at first I put the picture the wrong way round so the pedals were at the top hahaha, talking of steinways, how come there aren't many with a black finish but mostly wood? (In uprights) I fell in love with one of the steinways with delicate French style ornamentations, it was so beautiful but it cost something like £13000 :P, but in what way does a Steinway sound different to, say, a Yamaha? With such a different price I would imagine a lot but it's actually very subtle when you compare them? ( I mean uprights and uprights compared of course, not uprights and grands because that wouldn't be fair)

eBay is pretty useful actually, I love but selling is a lot of trouble. Yes I made a whole list but at first I put the picture the wrong way round so the pedals were at the top hahaha, talking of steinways, how come there aren't many with a black finish but mostly wood? (In uprights) I fell in love with one of the steinways with delicate French style ornamentations, it was so beautiful but it cost something like £13000 :P, but in what way does a Steinway sound different to, say, a Yamaha? With such a different price I would imagine a lot but it's actually very subtle when you compare them? ( I mean uprights and uprights compared of course, not uprights and grands because that wouldn't be fair)

Oh I see, haha ;p I would've been quite confused before I worked out it was upside down ;D
Erm, Steinway's are mainly expensive because of their name and the time and care that goes into making one. If you sat and watched for a day in their workshop (not even a factory) you'd see how dedicated they are.
But really Steinway's are beautiful, I find their touch perfect and their sound exactly right for me. But then it's mainly personal preference really, because some people prefer the sound of a Bosendöfe and some the Yamaha but really you should try it yourself first because the sound between pianos is really something you can only hear about yourself as opposed to reading what other people say. Perhaps when you play for longer (no offence, but it just takes time, depending on the situation, to become more sensitive to things such as pianos).
As for finishes, I'm surprised to hear that there are more wood finishes than ebonised gloss (standard shiny black) finishes, because as I said, that's the standard finish for pianos. Of course there are other finishes but really most pianos I see are Ebonised Gloss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see, haha ;p I would've been quite confused before I worked out it was upside down ;D
Erm, Steinway's are mainly expensive because of their name and the time and care that goes into making one. If you sat and watched for a day in their workshop (not even a factory) you'd see how dedicated they are.
But really Steinway's are beautiful, I find their touch perfect and their sound exactly right for me. But then it's mainly personal preference really, because some people prefer the sound of a Bosendöfe and some the Yamaha but really you should try it yourself first because the sound between pianos is really something you can only hear about yourself as opposed to reading what other people say. Perhaps when you play for longer (no offence, but it just takes time, depending on the situation, to become more sensitive to things such as pianos).
As for finishes, I'm surprised to hear that there are more wood finishes than ebonised gloss (standard shiny black) finishes, because as I said, that's the standard finish for pianos. Of course there are other finishes but really most pianos I see are Ebonised Gloss

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was the one I was talking about, I was wrong about steinways being un-ebonies finish, only their Essex brand had none ebonised, I got that a bit mixed up haha :smile:
I love family piano dealers because they always put in the time and effort like you said, and they are dedicated, I guess I still need to develope that sensitivity haha even though I have been playing on and off for about 10 years, but my ears rent really sensitive and I find aural tests really hard, I lack the listening element of music but I'm slowly working on it. I love bright sounding pianos with the kind of honky tonk effect :smile:
Attachment not found

This was the one I was talking about, I was wrong about steinways being un-ebonies finish, only their Essex brand had none ebonised, I got that a bit mixed up haha :smile:
I love family piano dealers because they always put in the time and effort like you said, and they are dedicated, I guess I still need to develope that sensitivity haha even though I have been playing on and off for about 10 years, but my ears rent really sensitive and I find aural tests really hard, I lack the listening element of music but I'm slowly working on it. I love bright sounding pianos with the kind of honky tonk effect :smile:
Attachment not found

Yeah I think their Essex range is only wood finishes although I didn't look properly because I was more interested in the Steinway's ;D (picture doesn't work for me)
It's hard to describe how to choose a piano in terms of sound because it's not hugely dependant on the ears, it's just like, how you feel the difference in pianos so don't worry too much :smile:
As for aural, I'd recommend a website (non commercially of course because that's against TSR rules but still) called hoffnote (may have spelt that slightly wrong) and it's really good for aural, good value for money.
As for your preference of sound, I think generally Japanese brand/made pianos will suit you then based on the sound, I.e Toyo, Boston (designed by Steinway, made in Japan) and Yamaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, just found this thread. Currently working on my grade 7. I love to play the theme to Forrest Gump, Debussy's arabesque and, erm, not sure I could choose another one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsjustsophie
Hi, just found this thread. Currently working on my grade 7. I love to play the theme to Forrest Gump, Debussy's arabesque and, erm, not sure I could choose another one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm working on my grade 7 too! I love jazz pieces on the piano, and honky tonk styled music. And I love hedwig"a theme from Harry potter!

Reply 2129
Played on a Bosendorfer for the first time today. Truly wonderful, but I felt for the first time that a piano was out of my league. So many more nuances and possibilities on the greatest pianos, I wish I could practice on one.
Original post by itsjustsophie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! The piano is there to be played :smile: personally, I would go for Debussy's 1st Arabesque but if you prefer forest gimp than that's perfectly fine too! I would recommend doing 1 "sweetener" alongside your grades to expand your repertoire and play pieces you love. Besides, you can always learn the other later :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scherzi
Played on a Bosendorfer for the first time today. Truly wonderful, but I felt for the first time that a piano was out of my league. So many more nuances and possibilities on the greatest pianos, I wish I could practice on one.

Hehe I prefer Steinway's but if you love the Bosendöfe then good for you :smile: I'm surprised you'd think it was out of your league to be honest, so many people just try and piano and say "I LOVE IT. I WANT IT. MUST HAVE IT" (including me ;3) so kudos to your self discipline there :smile: apparantly fazioli's make a wonderful sound too so i would recommend trying those too

Posted from TSR Mobile
As for organ society, I'm afraid I don't know but if there is it should come up if you search for it although you're wry welcome here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would attempt to set one up but there would probably be more members than Lib dem supporters...

Speaking of which, has anyone ever played or considered playing organ before? I'd be interested to hear your responses :P
Original post by sliceofthepi
I would attempt to set one up but there would probably be more members than Lib dem supporters...

Speaking of which, has anyone ever played or considered playing organ before? I'd be interested to hear your responses :P

Haha awww, don't be like that~ I'm sure it'll blossom eventually :smile:

Yes, I have actually. The music department lets me play around in the school one so I just sight read simple choral music on it >_>'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have actually. The music department lets me play around in the school one so I just sight read simple choral music on it >_>'

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what's the difference between the two? I mean, obviously apart from the sound, obviously, are there differences in technique?

But what's the difference between the two? I mean, obviously apart from the sound, obviously, are there differences in technique?

Between the two what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Between the two what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Piano and organ

Piano and organ

Well I haven't had any actual lessons of sort or anything but roughly, there are stoppers which control the "voices" of the keyboards, so you can have a variable number of stoppers and keyboards depending on the size of the organ but generally you have at least 2 keyboards and 1 pedal keyboard (played by the foot). Also instead of being touch sensitive like a piano, it has a pedal (again more if it's a larger organ) which can control the volume of the organ to a certain extent.
So generally to play the organ you need to be very co ordinated and know what stoppers to use when and if with a choir, be able to sight read/play and look in the mirror at the conductor at the same time. I'm sure someone else knows more details than me. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful ><'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I had an organ at school I'd probably fail all my subjects, not gonna lie...
Well I haven't had any actual lessons of sort or anything but roughly, there are stoppers which control the "voices" of the keyboards, so you can have a variable number of stoppers and keyboards depending on the size of the organ but generally you have at least 2 keyboards and 1 pedal keyboard (played by the foot). Also instead of being touch sensitive like a piano, it has a pedal (again more if it's a larger organ) which can control the volume of the organ to a certain extent.
So generally to play the organ you need to be very co ordinated and know what stoppers to use when and if with a choir, be able to sight read/play and look in the mirror at the conductor at the same time. I'm sure someone else knows more details than me. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful ><'

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's basically it, but more summarised:

You have several manuals, the two most basic ones being the swell and the great - the swell you can change the dynamics using a swell pedal, which opens and closes a box containing the pipes. You also have a pedal keyboard which you play with your toes and heels (looooaaads of fun :lolwut: ) , and each keyboard (including the pedals) has its own set of stops, each one having a certain length depending on the octave you want (8' being concert pitch, so 16' being an octave below and 4' being an octave higher). Each stop produces its own sound, and yeah, that's basically it! :tong:

Give it a go, we need organists - it's totally AWESOME.

Apart from when you have to fork out disgusting amounts of money for French organ music. But I love Duruflé so I think it's worth it :france:

Quick Reply

Latest