Boggieeiggob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jojotheflower)
Piano and organ

jojotheflower, meow, over and out
Well I haven't had any actual lessons of sort or anything but roughly, there are stoppers which control the "voices" of the keyboards, so you can have a variable number of stoppers and keyboards depending on the size of the organ but generally you have at least 2 keyboards and 1 pedal keyboard (played by the foot). Also instead of being touch sensitive like a piano, it has a pedal (again more if it's a larger organ) which can control the volume of the organ to a certain extent.
So generally to play the organ you need to be very co ordinated and know what stoppers to use when and if with a choir, be able to sight read/play and look in the mirror at the conductor at the same time. I'm sure someone else knows more details than me. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful ><'

Posted from TSR Mobile
sliceofthepi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boggieeiggob)
Haha awww, don't be like that~ I'm sure it'll blossom eventually

Yes, I have actually. The music department lets me play around in the school one so I just sight read simple choral music on it >_>'

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I had an organ at school I'd probably fail all my subjects, not gonna lie...
sliceofthepi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I haven't had any actual lessons of sort or anything but roughly, there are stoppers which control the "voices" of the keyboards, so you can have a variable number of stoppers and keyboards depending on the size of the organ but generally you have at least 2 keyboards and 1 pedal keyboard (played by the foot). Also instead of being touch sensitive like a piano, it has a pedal (again more if it's a larger organ) which can control the volume of the organ to a certain extent.
So generally to play the organ you need to be very co ordinated and know what stoppers to use when and if with a choir, be able to sight read/play and look in the mirror at the conductor at the same time. I'm sure someone else knows more details than me. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful ><'

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's basically it, but more summarised:

You have several manuals, the two most basic ones being the swell and the great - the swell you can change the dynamics using a swell pedal, which opens and closes a box containing the pipes. You also have a pedal keyboard which you play with your toes and heels (looooaaads of fun :lolwut: ) , and each keyboard (including the pedals) has its own set of stops, each one having a certain length depending on the octave you want (8' being concert pitch, so 16' being an octave below and 4' being an octave higher). Each stop produces its own sound, and yeah, that's basically it! :tong:

Give it a go, we need organists - it's totally AWESOME.

Apart from when you have to fork out disgusting amounts of money for French organ music. But I love Duruflé so I think it's worth it :france:
Boggieeiggob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sliceofthepi)
That's basically it, but more summarised:

You have several manuals, the two most basic ones being the swell and the great - the swell you can change the dynamics using a swell pedal, which opens and closes a box containing the pipes. You also have a pedal keyboard which you play with your toes and heels (looooaaads of fun :lolwut: ) , and each keyboard (including the pedals) has its own set of stops, each one having a certain length depending on the octave you want (8' being concert pitch, so 16' being an octave below and 4' being an octave higher). Each stop produces its own sound, and yeah, that's basically it! :tong:

Give it a go, we need organists - it's totally AWESOME.

Apart from when you have to fork out disgusting amounts of money for French organ music. But I love Duruflé so I think it's worth it :france:
Heehee, I've had fun already ;p but yeah, French music is disgustingly large and expensive >< (no offence to anyone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hehe I prefer Steinway's but if you love the Bosendöfe then good for you I'm surprised you'd think it was out of your league to be honest, so many people just try and piano and say "I LOVE IT. I WANT IT. MUST HAVE IT" (including me ;3) so kudos to your self discipline there apparantly fazioli's make a wonderful sound too so i would recommend trying those too

Posted from TSR Mobile
To my memory I've still never played a Steinway :ashamed2:. Of course, it being out of my league doesn't prevent me from wanting the Bosendorfer - though I know I can't realistically expect to have one (for now at least). Quite sad that I'd only be able to own one by becoming an investment banker or something.
Boggieeiggob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scherzi)
To my memory I've still never played a Steinway :ashamed2:. Of course, it being out of my league doesn't prevent me from wanting the Bosendorfer - though I know I can't realistically expect to have one (for now at least). Quite sad that I'd only be able to own one by becoming an investment banker or something.
Aw that's not true, you can get one as long as you or whoever's paying has the money to be honest, my parents paid most of it but I chipped in some of my savings for my uni fees for the Steinway ><' so yeah, whatever you think is worth it really. Hm, so I guess for now you can just play around with them in the shops ;D

Posted from TSR Mobile
francesf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sup, I've been offered a chance to do a music theory diploma and was wondering what it is and what I'd have to do in it?:confused:
Shmuco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by francesf)
sup, I've been offered a chance to do a music theory diploma and was wondering what it is and what I'd have to do in it?:confused:
I've only been studying it on a basic level, you basically learn how to read music, how the music is constructed on a staff etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
lantan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Steinway!....
Sigh-sigh-sigh. That would be in my dreams.
After finishing Bmus and Mmus, both in piano from RAM, and I still don't have a piano to practise on at home.
I have got to do something about it...
Boggieeiggob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shmuco)
I've only been studying it on a basic level, you basically learn how to read music, how the music is constructed on a staff etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advanced levels are much more difficult than that. Even at grade 6, orchestration and Bach chorales are introduced, let alone detailed work. I imagine that diploma will have very intricate and detailed harmony+melody work. Otherwise I really don't know what diploma could entail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boggieeiggob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lantan)
Steinway!....
After finishing Bmus and Mmus, both in piano from RAM, and I still don't have a piano to practise on at home.
Haha well if you reeeaaallly want to play on a Steinway, you could hire one of their practice rooms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daniel George
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you think its bad my dad got rid of my piano and gave it to a school? I haven't practised properly in months and Im supposed to be studying music next year at uni - there is never a day when it is not on my mind - it gets me down so much...

Posted from TSR Mobile
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Daniel George)
Do you think its bad my dad got rid of my piano and gave it to a school? I haven't practised properly in months and Im supposed to be studying music next year at uni - there is never a day when it is not on my mind - it gets me down so much...
That does sound a bit harsh but I guess when you go to uni there will be pianos there anyway?
Daniel George
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
That does sound a bit harsh but I guess when you go to uni there will be pianos there anyway?
Hmm! It shows how much music is apart of my life anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
mel c:)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm new to this forum and tried sending Comp_Genius details but the message didn't get through. I've done grade 8, am taking my ATCL performance diploma July 11th and am on a piano scholarship with concert pianist Richard Meyrick, and in September will be studying 25% music performance in September at the university of Surrey.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lantan)
Steinway!....
Hi, I'd like to know how tough auditions were for RAM MMus? I want to apply for that as one postgrad option after my degree-although only a small percentage of my degree is music, I'm preparing to take part in lots of competitions-building up experience and also others on my scholarship are doing BBC Young Musician but I'm too old. So far I want to do the Norah Sande Award competition and Dudley concerto competition, and my current repertoire and pieces which I'm working on include Beethoven's sonata no.28, Saint-Saens' 2nd piano concerto, Liszt's Deux etudes and Ravel's Ondine from Gaspad de la Nuit.
gman10
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Currently Grade 8 and learning La Campanella

Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I forgot a proper introduction: I'm absolutely obsessed with classical music, and would like to be as skilled as possible with performance of music from any era. I like baroque, classical and romantic music equally, and my interest in twentieth century music is definitely growing, although I still don't like Schoenberg much, definitely not Stockhausen, Messiaen or Ligeti! However I'd like to learn Boulez' Douze Notations, have spent some time on the first two but really need more time for it . I also like music by Lutoslawski and Szymanowski. So three favourite pieces, that's difficult...I'd have to say Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit, Lutoslawski Variations on a theme of Paganini for two pianos and Prokofiev 1st Piano Concerto, although that's more because they're the best pieces I've had reason to listen to obsessively recently! And one of my future goals with piano is to record the whole of Gaspard, and also Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux, of which I currently play no.4.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hehe I prefer Steinway's but if you love the Bosendöfe then good for you I'm surprised you'd think it was out of your league to be honest, so many people just try and piano and say "I LOVE IT. I WANT IT. MUST HAVE IT" (including me ;3) so kudos to your self discipline there apparantly fazioli's make a wonderful sound too so i would recommend trying those too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having played on both Steinway and Fazioli concert grands, I say any of them are worth hunting for, trying out and BUYING! A piano like that is a dream! I think when tried the Fazioli most of my friends preferred it to the Steinway, however then we were practising and never used it for concert except(I think) for ensemble pieces. Steinway have such a good name because they really do fill the hall and create amazing acoustics on the day of the performance. I think it's partly because they have a much clearer, more precise sound, so you can take them into a hall where you get a bit of a bathroom effect and the piano will still sound great, as its sound is so clear in the first place. However I currently have a Bluthner grand borrowed from another family and my teacher's sponsored by Bluthner, so I feel obligated to say: BLUTHNER'S GREAT!!!!
jojotheflower
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys

Recently I've been thinking about my piano levels and where I am at right now. And I realise that during my whole 10 year piano learning stage I have never, ever had a piano performance/recital or took part in a competition or have won any awards. I would really love do get more involved with the piano society and etc. I would like to take part in some recitals or have some performances. But I'm not really sure how to go about that! I see videos on YouTube of people performing in halls and I'm not sure what the performances are ( as in what they're for, what occasion etc.) I would really appreciate any tips or advice on how to get performances or take prt in competitions!

Thanks in advance

jojotheflower, meow, over and out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No (203)
72.76%

Watched Threads