Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I passed my grade 8 piano exam today! SO HAPPY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    Congratulations! How come your result was so late? I got my Grade 7 result in the middle of July.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Congrats. You should be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffanycallysta)
    yeah they are. all technique and no emotion or unique interpretation. it's kinda sad because their lives were made only for music and for nothing else. LOL yeah, i don't practice that much to be honest
    lol good, maybe. but not yet concert standard i need to be more diligent to rise up to that standard
    hahaha i can't stop practicing for 5 years, i love the piano too much but you can use those 5 years to practice twice as much as i do
    haha I wish, but my school timetable just doesn't allow me enough time for it T_T
    Heh, concert standard is really when you started winning international competitions aged like, 7 though ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boggieeiggob)
    haha I wish, but my school timetable just doesn't allow me enough time for it T_T
    Heh, concert standard is really when you started winning international competitions aged like, 7 though ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol i mean play it with a quality that is appropriate for a concert. lol in my country there are almost no opportunities to win legit competitions though hahaha. i took IB for highschool i still had time lollll

ReputationRep:
    lol i mean play it with a quality that is appropriate for a concert. lol in my country there are almost no opportunities to win legit competitions though hahaha. i took IB for highschool i still had time lollll
    Haha I know I know, but I meant that nowadays kids only really start developing those skills at such a young age now :/
    Oho, I know but I've signed up for loads of activities. I have 7-day weeks as well, so I don't get weekends T_T

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I know I know, but I meant that nowadays kids only really start developing those skills at such a young age now :/
    Oho, I know but I've signed up for loads of activities. I have 7-day weeks as well, so I don't get weekends T_T

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WHAT? you have school on weekends???
    haha yeah i had 3 music lessons a week, plus orchestra, plus other activities so i was really busy as well
    well when you truly love it and cherish it as a hobby and passion, you'll find that you do have some spare time for music

ReputationRep:
    WHAT? you have school on weekends???
    haha yeah i had 3 music lessons a week, plus orchestra, plus other activities so i was really busy as well
    well when you truly love it and cherish it as a hobby and passion, you'll find that you do have some spare time for music
    Yeah I know :/
    I don't do orchestras, mainly because my school doesn't have the musicians to make one and I'm too lazy to find one outside of school
    No but seriously, I do have spare time for music but just not enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know :/
    I don't do orchestras, mainly because my school doesn't have the musicians to make one and I'm too lazy to find one outside of school
    No but seriously, I do have spare time for music but just not enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh wow .___. i feel bad for you.
    well, keep on trying! you'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    Heyyyyy guys!
    I've been playing since I was 3 but I stopped having piano lessons early this year because of academic commitments. I don't do anything musical any more including chamber groups which I greatly enjoyed being in because our school doesn't allow people who don't fit both the criteria of a) being a music scholar or b) taking piano lessons.
    Fingers are a little rusty at the moment because I don't put in much focus.
    I have to say that when I completed my Grade 8 years back, my technique and posture were pretty poor and my playing really wasn't that great. Maybe the examiner was being nice because I was young...
    Would love to play Rach's pieces but Chopin is great too. I also like Mendelssohn.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow .___. i feel bad for you.
    well, keep on trying! you'll get there!
    Hehe thanks. I'm sure I'll find a way
    But you too! You know what you need to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Heyyyyy guys!
    I've been playing since I was 3 but I stopped having piano lessons early this year because of academic commitments. I don't do anything musical any more including chamber groups which I greatly enjoyed being in because our school doesn't allow people who don't fit both the criteria of a) being a music scholar or b) taking piano lessons.
    I have to say that when I completed my Grade 8 years back, my technique and posture were pretty poor and my playing really wasn't that great. Maybe the examiner was being nice because I was young...
    Would love to play Rach's pieces but Chopin is great too. I also like Mendelssohn.
    hey! at what age did you completed your grade 8 exam?
    lol many composers are great, but you seem to favour those from the romantic era more.
    which composers' works have you played?

Hehe thanks. I'm sure I'll find a way
    But you too! You know what you need to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol yeah i hope i'll find a way to squeeze my practices in with the hectic college life thanks!

ReputationRep:
    lol many composers are great, but you seem to favour those from the romantic era more.

lol yeah i hope i'll find a way to squeeze my practices in with the hectic college life thanks!
    I was 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Oh, sorry, I skimmed through your post! Including ensembles or solo? I've played Haydn, Ravel, Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Chopin, Schubert, Debussy, Mendelssohn etc. but I haven't tackled the hardest pieces. Sucks having small hands...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Heyyyyy guys!
    whooaaaaaaaaa, since you were 3?! Wow, you must be so amazing! :clap2: D: Why did you stop having music lessons? And I don't understand why you must be having piano lessons to be part of the ensemble group O-o
    I'm sure your technique is fine, it'll resurface easily with some concentrated practice
    I'm quite sure the examiners must mark fairly, so even if you think you were bad I'm sure the examiner thought you were good [enough to pass] But don't those sort of things really refine themselves over time anyway?

ReputationRep:
    OMGWAT. I only did mine age 15

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone !
    I'm one of those people who haven't actually taken any Grade exams but my music teacher estimates my grade to be around 5/6. I've been playing piano somewhat passively for 3 years now (Since the end of Yr7) and some pieces that I've played include Chopin's Raindrop Prelude, Yiruma River Flows In You, Ludovico Einaudi - Divinire and I'm currently learning Clair de Lune. (4 pages to go :rolleyes:) Sorry at the lack of a list but I only recently got into playing classical pieces because I just started having piano lessons ( well if last September counts as 'just started' ) because I'm doing GCSE Music; before that my sister and I taught ourselves because we thought it was fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OMGWAT. I only did mine age 15
    i did mine at 11

ReputationRep:
    i did mine at 11
    I'm hoping to do mine next summer, when I'll be 19. Stop making me feel so old!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.