The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Heeeeello! I've been playing piano for about 2 years now and I am grade 7/8 standard (I am self taught and haven't taken exams :wink:)) I haven't got favourites I love all classical pieces. I love Chopin and the Romantic era of piano music though and I think he is my favourite to play amongst other bits and bobs from Beethoven and Bach etc :smile:
I am in grade 3 (standard) and my favourite pieces are Divenire by Ludovico Einaudi, Nocturne by Chopin and Atlantis by Roberto Cacciapaglia. I like learning things above my level and I have taught myself to transpose music and learn songs by ear :smile:
Original post by Comp_Genius
Can't find it so I'll start one.

If you play the piano you are welcome to join, just PM me your details, grade etc.

Also introduce yourself on this thread: state your level, and 3 favourite piano pieces. (Classical only! No modern music please. We need to keep this thread clean. :rolleyes: )

The number in the bracket indicates the grade achieved in ARBSM exam or equivalent.
The word "Standard" after a number indicates an examination has not been taken for that grade but the person is at that standard.

Members:
darkenergy (8)
steerpike
ponjavic
thatguy
GengisKahn (5, doing 8)
sezmeister (8)
mikeski (4)
musicbloke (Cambridge.... :rolleyes: )
trish xx (5)
CharXlotte (8)
robs (8)
sherunsaway (7, doing 8)
wei_xin (7, doing 8)
x-Jo-x (6)
moonscape (7, doing 8)
sophieD
thebucketwoman (8)
JC87 (5, doing 7/8)
sexysax (6, doing 7)
thepublictoilet (8)
jcd (8 standard)
~MOi~
Frosty Phantom (8)
themesong
Emily-Sarah (6/7 standard)
The Canadian (doing 5)
coldfish (8)
lilsk8achic666 (8)
Kan3 (3 standard)
flipflop2
Womble548 (8, Diploma?)
what_a_shambles (10 yrs)
sabre
distortedgav (6 standard)
rofl (DipABRSM)
greeniev (>8)

Wow! I am doing my grade 1 exam next thursday after all these years. I have been playing since I was 11 but had a massive break from it. So now I am 17 and finally getting to do my exam.
So favourite pieces, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven is my number one, marche slave by Tchaikovsky and finally ooh let me see this is hard i'd hve to say rhapsody in blue by Gershwin
Reply 2703
I am 8013, who is going to take my grade 6 in Oct 2018, so I am now at G5. I like the Mozart K545 (one of my exam pieces this term), the Mozart Funeral March which I will post a recording of myself playing it on a local transport forum when a bus/plane/train model here in HK is retired from service to pay tribute to it, and the Bach Prelude BWV848.
Original post by 8013
I am 8013, who is going to take my grade 6 in Oct 2018, so I am now at G5. I like the Mozart K545 (one of my exam pieces this term), the Mozart Funeral March which I will post a recording of myself playing it on a local transport forum when a bus/plane/train model here in HK is retired from service to pay tribute to it, and the Bach Prelude BWV848.

That's cool. Good luck :smile:. Confident? I'm playing K545 for a recital in September. I have to get the middle movement memorised as now, whenever I play it, I end up sightreading.

Original post by A.Khamon
Wow! I am doing my grade 1 exam next thursday after all these years. I have been playing since I was 11 but had a massive break from it. So now I am 17 and finally getting to do my exam.
So favourite pieces, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven is my number one, marche slave by Tchaikovsky and finally ooh let me see this is hard i'd hve to say rhapsody in blue by Gershwin

Good luck with your first exam. I'm sure you'll be fine if you've been playing for some years already. How do you feel?

Original post by celineeee
I am in grade 3 (standard) and my favourite pieces are Divenire by Ludovico Einaudi, Nocturne by Chopin and Atlantis by Roberto Cacciapaglia. I like learning things above my level and I have taught myself to transpose music and learn songs by ear :smile:

That's pretty impressive. My keyboard musicianship (transposing and learning by ear) skills are pretty awful.
Which Nocturne is that? There are quite a few in different keys.

For example

Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
That's cool. Good luck :smile:. Confident? I'm playing K545 for a recital in September. I have to get the middle movement memorised as now, whenever I play it, I end up sightreading.

Good luck with your first exam. I'm sure you'll be fine if you've been playing for some years already. How do you feel?

That's pretty impressive. My keyboard musicianship (transposing and learning by ear) skills are pretty awful.
Which Nocturne is that? There are quite a few in different keys.

For example

Ah thanks.:colondollar: I felt pretty confident with my exam. I got a distinction with 136/150. And for my list A piece (la donna e mobile) i got 29/30 and she said I quote ''the verdi was a highlight today''. So those years of waiting have been worth it. Am now working towards my grade 2 in December.

Quick Reply

Latest