Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lol I have been playing it all day - it's stuck in my head lol

Yeah I see what you mean, but get a head start on the pieces you want to play so when you get back, all your teacher will have to do is work on the aural test and fix blips in pieces/scales...

ReputationRep:
    Fair point that you don't want to get to grade 8, but what happens if a few years down the line you suddenly realise that you really love the piano and would love to do it seriously? You'll have done nothing about your technique and it might be hard and take dedication to correct.

Ah, the scales debate. I'm all for playing pieces not scales!Well not dismissing scales entirely but only a few, don't go overboard with them. But that is my opinion, and what works for me. You may well be different .

ReputationRep:
    lol

well I would suggest pieces if youdont want to go beyonde grade 5 standard... although I personally like scales. you could do them for warm ups. And don't worry about two hands as in Grade on, they get you to do them hands seperate (except C Major)

But if your not going to get lessons, get a complete beginners guide to show how to read music as well as play!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    lol I have been playing it all day - it's stuck in my head lol

Yeah I see what you mean, but get a head start on the pieces you want to play so when you get back, all your teacher will have to do is work on the aural test and fix blips in pieces/scales...
    I won't need to work on aural, I'm doing a music degree, so can work on that myself. I just don't know what pieces suit me etc, and I don't even know who will be teaching me when I go back to uni. My old teacher was a student and he's left to do post grad stuff somewhere else, so I need to find one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Fair point that you don't want to get to grade 8, but what happens if a few years down the line you suddenly realise that you really love the piano and would love to do it seriously? You'll have done nothing about your technique and it might be hard and take dedication to correct.
    Good point!

Ah, the scales debate. I'm all for playing pieces not scales!Well not dismissing scales entirely but only a few, don't go overboard with them. But that is my opinion, and what works for me. You may well be different .
    lol there could be war over scales :roleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I won't need to work on aural, I'm doing a music degree, so can work on that myself. I just don't know what pieces suit me etc, and I don't even know who will be teaching me when I go back to uni. My old teacher was a student and he's left to do post grad stuff somewhere else, so I need to find one.
    ahh I see. well I can't really give you any advice as Im not experienced with high grades but I would say play a few of the pieces and see what feels bst for you, or even get a recording and see which you enjoy the most.

Will there not be other piano teachers around uni? there is bound to be..

ReputationRep:
    Ok, war it is!!

No, seriously, I am of the opinion that scales aren't everything and have made my points clear in the Piano Lesson thread in Arts, Music, Drama forum - 4ed take a look perhaps.

I don't think it's a case of me being right or wrong, or everyone else being right or wrong, it's just based on what experience I have and what works for me.

ReputationRep:
    ahh I see. well I can't really give you any advice as Im not experienced with high grades but I would say play a few of the pieces and see what feels bst for you, or even get a recording and see which you enjoy the most.

Will there not be other piano teachers around uni? there is bound to be..

There will be loads around uni, I just need to sort out what I really want from lessons next year and decide who I want to teach me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, that's why I like scales - because they help me. It really is down to everyone's personal preference.

Actually i'm starting to see your point about not having so many... as I suppose the same rules apply for each type of scale...

o right right. your lucky you get to pick who you want!! I have to go with the crappy piano teacher who does my head in!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just think there are too many. They become a memory test not a test to see if you can play them correctly.

I agree with having them in 3rds, 6ths, contrary motion etc, but only a few, not the whole darn lot!

ReputationRep:
    Leave your teacher then!!

ReputationRep:
    I hated scales for the most part until recently. Then grade 8 came around and I found myself having to very quickly prepare lots of very strange scales, and then I appreciated the value of them. Not just for technique, but developing an instinctive knowledge of which notes go in which key etc. This is helpful not just for improvising but also for playing pieces in more difficult key signatures - you will not have to 'think' about the sharps and flats as much.

Having said that, I haven't played a piano scale for quite a while now :d

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, but just because I don't play scales doesn't mean I don't know what sharps/flats are in each key!

I could argue that if one plays more repertoire in harder keys then that also gets them used to lots of sharps/flats and won't require them to think about it :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just think there are too many. They become a memory test not a test to see if you can play them correctly.

I agree with having them in 3rds, 6ths, contrary motion etc, but only a few, not the whole darn lot!
    Yeah.

lol i wish i could leave him, but he has a good rep for distictions and is quite cheap compared to a lot of piano teachers in my area...

ReputationRep:
    lol

well I would suggest pieces if youdont want to go beyonde grade 5 standard... although I personally like scales. you could do them for warm ups. And don't worry about two hands as in Grade on, they get you to do them hands seperate (except C Major)

But if your not going to get lessons, get a complete beginners guide to show how to read music as well as play!
    lol that sounds good. I can do the C major with two hands already, but haven't really tried any other scales. My main problem is coordinating my hands to do different things - being a violinist my hands have always worked in tandem!

I don't need to learn to read music (I hope) as I'm already post grade-8 standard on the violin, although I still have to occasionally get my head round the bass clef

I'm going to play some scales as warm up - I can see how they're beneficial (but boring)! What are some good easy pieces to play? I was thinking of Einaudi's Le Onde (straight from Classic FM)...

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, but just because I don't play scales doesn't mean I don't know what sharps/flats are in each key!

I could argue that if one plays more repertoire in harder keys then that also gets them used to lots of sharps/flats and won't require them to think about it :p: .
    lol you really dont like scales do you? :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    true. there's no easy way is there! if only there weren't so many classically trained musicians around who insist on good technique :p:

ReputationRep:
    EINAUDI!!!! Yes yes!!

Le Onde is great! About grade 3/4 level I'd say, not too bad to play note wise but harder to relfect the emotion in it etc, but being a musician you should be ok with that.

mikeski - As you get better though, a good teacher who makes you feel good and you like teaching you is more important than some arrogant n00b who gets distinctions! Distinctions are not the be all and end all!!

It's not that I don't like scales, I was always fairly good at them, I just don't see the point in doing so many and believe that repertoire is just as useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    true. there's no easy way is there! if only there weren't so many classically trained musicians around who insist on good technique :p:
    I know....shame on them....haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    lol that sounds good. I can do the C major with two hands already, but haven't really tried any other scales. My main problem is coordinating my hands to do different things - being a violinist my hands have always worked in tandem!

I don't need to learn to read music (I hope) as I'm already post grade-8 standard on the violin, although I still have to occasionally get my head round the bass clef

I'm going to play some scales as warm up - I can see how they're beneficial (but boring)! What are some good easy pieces to play? I was thinking of Einaudi's Le Onde (straight from Classic FM)...
    Step away from Le Onde! It's a grade 4/5 piece (ask sexysax for a better grade stanard)

Here's some key sig stuff:

http://gc-music.com/Graphics/KeySig.gif

http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/musi...3/majscal2.gif

http://www.teoria.com/reference/scales/data/05c.gif

http://www.teoria.com/reference/scales/data/05b.gif

http://www.pnc.com.au/~beehive/Images/keys.gif

Not much good but sure :rolleyes:

Beinnger stuff is like Three Blind Mice etc...

although you can get simplified versions of pieces, e.g. fur elise...

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.