TSR Piano Society Watch

john-boro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
very much so. my headteacher was an LRAM, and he gave me some help getting ready for an audition for the ash music scholarships at imperial ( I didn't get one but that's beside the point :p:). He told me that at his audition he played a piece significantly easier than some of the others, but that when he played it the adjudicator stopped him and said to everyone "finally someone is playing the piece." I have a lot of experience of playing quite hard pieces not all that well, and I definitely think there is more to playing than getting the notes in the right order.
john-boro
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mikeski)
no props

I would love to play violin!!

It's popularised, and it's terrible!!
I play violin too, got grade 8 on tuesday . I think it's cool, there's loads of great music for it and it can be so expressive due to the many ways you can vary the sound. The downside is that getting a decent tone and getting perfect intonation is very difficult when you're playing hard pieces, and as a pianist I find this a bit irritating. Still, no doubt that virtuoso violin pieces are really something to watch. Still prefer piano for the independence it gives you - it really is a true solo instrument.

And that popularised **** they show on classic fm tv really pisses me off!! Great music set to crappy drum beats and with fancy looking videos, it really is a joke. Does classical music a disservice I think.

oh and does anyone know if the proms are on at the moment??
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Proms have started now yes.

Myleene Klass - she's a good pianist, but is too obsessed with looking good on the camera. I've seen 2 performances of hers recently and she never looks at the piano, it's more flicking her hair and giving stupid looks to the camera.
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by john-boro)
oh and does anyone know if the proms are on at the moment??
I have tickets to the Prom featuring Lang Lang
mikeski
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
Myleene Klass - she's a good pianist, but is too obsessed with looking good on the camera. I've seen 2 performances of hers recently and she never looks at the piano, it's more flicking her hair and giving stupid looks to the camera.
I agree. It's like all young classical musicians!! Another example would be Bond - they don't play difficult pieces and all they do is look good! It realy annoys me the way younger artists are selling their stuff based on their looks!!
john-boro
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lusus Naturae)
I have tickets to the Prom featuring Lang Lang

when is this? it'll be on tv right?

I'm off to poland touring with youth orchestra tomorrow, I hope I'm back in time.
Eternity Forever
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can you add me please?
Thank you.
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mysterious lady)
Can you add me please?
Thank you.
DarkEnergy, or what ever he calls himself now, doesnt seem to pay much attention to his Soc anymore :rolleyes:
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by darkfairy)
Anyone heard of Maksim?

Edit: http://www.abs-cbn.com/imgs-tmp/maksim.jpg
yes, I have a song called Exodus or something like that by him. He REALLY loves his chromatic scales!

His a great pianist, but I don't really like his stuff tbh...
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by darkfairy)
I remember her from ages ago :eek:. She was playing Toccata and Fugue by Bach or something along those lines.
Yes she was, and that probabily her best song... ALthough Ive heard her playing it live a few times... and shes not the best...
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've got Maksim's album. I quite like what he does.
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
he does a lot of cheesy stuff. I just don't feel his music, I find it kinda... fake or something... i dunno why :s
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is, I just think it's something different and can be quite refreshing from all this strict Bach invention stuff!:rolleyes:
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol i guess so.

how's moment musical comming along?
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm just randomly playing it at random times at the moment, not working on it seriosuly. I'm doing some grade 7 pieces from the Trinity book.
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have u decided on what pieces you want to do?
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Probably the Mendelssohn Song Without Words, Grieg's 'Puck' and Poulenc Nocturne, those first 2 I have, I need to order the Poulenc. I'm just going to work on those for now, not checked if I can do all 3, depends what groups they are in, but I'm not working for the exam just yet, just playing pieces at that standard.
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cool. I have Song Without Words, it's a good piece.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There are lots of Song Without Words!
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have the Mendelssohn Faith one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads