The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

It's not that one, I'll get the opus number tomorrow.
Has anyone done any exams on Trinity-Guildhall? Just that my friend is doing it and is reccomedning it and was wondering your opinions :p:
Reply 1182
sexysax
It's not that one, I'll get the opus number tomorrow.

kool :smile:
Aphrodite
Has anyone done any exams on Trinity-Guildhall? Just that my friend is doing it and is reccomedning it and was wondering your opinions :p:

I know a few teachers who use them. Their syllabus is good, admin can sometimes be dodgy, it just depends on local rep. I'm going to start using them for piano entries.
sexysax
I know a few teachers who use them. Their syllabus is good, admin can sometimes be dodgy, it just depends on local rep. I'm going to start using them for piano entries.

Might investigate them for grade 7 then...too late for grade 6...
Reply 1185
john-boro
when is this? it'll be on tv right?

I'm off to poland touring with youth orchestra tomorrow, I hope I'm back in time.

I do not think that it is on tv (Wed 30th of August) but it will definitely be on Radio 3.

Ives - Symphony No. 2
Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor
R. Strauss - Till Eulenspiegel
Reply 1186
darkfairy
Anyone know if I could do the Trinity syllabus after I've done grade 8 on ABRSM? I want to do both for the experience, but I'm not sure whether it would be possible. Is one usually seen as harder than the other?

I can't see any reason as to why you can't do it... I think it would be good for the experience as well. I would start from grade 5 and work my way up, to see how your marks differ in each grade with different boards. Good luck!!!
Yes you can darkfairy, it makes no difference.

Trish - I am doing grade 7 with TG:smile: .
Reply 1188
darkfairy
Hehe that would be cool. All I need to do is probably find a teacher who teaches on that board. Thanks:smile:

Do you need a teacher from the board?
Any teacher should be able to teach any exam board. It's not like each board needs a special kind of teacher. If you want to do a certain exam board then tell the teacher, they should adapt to you.
Good luck for that.

As a teacher myself, I would be open about exam boards and accomodate the pupils needs. If I had a young candidate I'd look at the syllabus and decide which board suited them, if I had an older candidate, I'd give them more leeway in deciding but give them my thoughts. I am used to doing most exams with ABRSM, but am going to use TG more now, and I don't think shying away from other exam boards on the basis that one isn't used to them isn't that much of a reason. They could easily take grade 1 or something to see what the whole system is like, and having a knowledge of more than one exam board in my opinion is more beneficial to teaching.
Reply 1191
I was looking at the piano syllabus for TG there, and i think it seems quite hard. I haven't seen the actual pieces, but I think it's harder than ABRSM...
There have been rumours it's harder and there have been many rumours saying it's easier. All rumours. Each exam board has their own mark scheme and that's what people should concentrate on. ABRSM grades and TG grades all have the same QCA accredited level stuff, so it's known that an AB grade is equivalent to a TG grade.

If you've not even seen the pieces what are you basing your judgement on?

I know quite a few people who are not jumping for joy over the new ABRSM piano syllabus. Grade 1 AB is a lot more dull than TG.
Reply 1193
sexysax
There have been rumours it's harder and there have been many rumours saying it's easier. All rumours. Each exam board has their own mark scheme and that's what people should concentrate on. ABRSM grades and TG grades all have the same QCA accredited level stuff, so it's known that an AB grade is equivalent to a TG grade.

If you've not even seen the pieces what are you basing your judgement on?

I know quite a few people who are not jumping for joy over the new ABRSM piano syllabus. Grade 1 AB is a lot more dull than TG.

The syllabus seems more challenging than the ABRSM one.

There aren't much more scales on the ABRSM syllabus than on the TG one.. unless I have read it wrong - probabily so :rolleyes: :p:

I have seen the Grade 1 pieces for ABRSM, havent seen the TG ones yet...
If you look at the higher grades, I can see quite a difference in the amount of scales. For both boards you do them in different styles, e.g. thirds, sixths, contrary motion etc, but AB want almost every scale played like that, whereas TG only ask for a few.

Aural tests are rumoured to perhaps be harder than AB's , but I think they are more beneficial. Sight reading, nobody knows until specimen books are purchased, and exams are taken.

So really TG have better scales, better aural/extra test stuff, and at many grades better pieces.
Reply 1195
Do many people take TG compared to ABRSM? Most people I know do ABRSM, as well as many schools in my Belfast...
TG are a new board - a combination of Trinity and Guildhall who used to be separate boards. ABRSM have more candidates for the popular instruments. They don't do keyboard exams though, or drum kit, so the other boards get those candidates. I would be interested to see the statistics of exam candidates from the next few years to see how many take TG exams instead of AB.

I look at it from a teachers point of view. The majority of pupils I teach loathe scales, especially for exams. The option? Take TG instead of AB and do less of them.

Many pupils do not like singing in the aural tests for AB. The option? Take TG and you don't have to sing at all.

Most of the pupils I teach will not become superstar musicians and go on to get 100% at a conservatoire, therefore when my pupils take exams I want them to do their best and do something they are comfortable with. If that means doing TG because of no singing and less scales then so be it.

The fact that some teachers and musicians do not like the fact that TG don't have many scales is quite funny. It is only an exam syllabus. Learning is not all about exams. If they think scales are THAT important then they can easily teach scales outside of exam preparation. Just because 100 scales are not on grade 1 TG doesn't mean every teacher cannot teach any other scale than is on grade 1.
Reply 1197
Many pupils do not like singing in the aural tests for AB. The option? Take TG and you don't have to sing at all.

:eek:!!!!! I never knew you didn't have to sing for the TG board!!!! That's it, im doing TG from now on!!! I HATE th singing part with a passion!!! It's completly pointless!!

For ABRSM, what grade do you stop the stupid singing at?
You sing at every grade for ABRSM

Grades 1-3 is singing back a few short phrases in strict time.

Grades 4-5 is singing back one longer phrase and sight singing.

Grades 6-8 is sight singing with random accompaniment, sometimes above your part or below, and also the examiner will play 2/3 parts of music and you have to sing the bottom part, or the top etc.

TG have no singing at all - they used to I think but not anymore.
Reply 1199
Why do pianist have to sing? What exactly is the point???

If you sing at sight, are you not supposed to have perfect pitch? Or do they give you the first note or something?

Quick Reply

Latest