TSR Piano Society Watch

unikq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ukebert)
Try your local youth orchestra,that's where I did mine. I should add that this was years ago, and I was playing one part of one movement of the Vaughan Williams Concerto for 2 pianos :p:
if only you knew what our local youth orchestra sounded like...:no:
i was thinking more like adult amateur orchestras, who could actually have a decent stab at the piece. i'm in love with the grieg at the moment ysee, and i don't think the local youths can do a job of it. plus, i'm not a youth any more... :no:
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
i was thinking more like adult amateur orchestras, who could actually have a decent stab at the piece. i'm in love with the grieg at the moment ysee, and i don't think the local youths can do a job of it. plus, i'm not a youth any more... :no:
I don't blame you there :p: One of my all-time favourite pieces. I should probably get round to learning it sooner or later.

And I'd disagree about a diploma, I think that it can be a very posiitive experience.
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
Neither am I but I would hate to try to compete with the youth round here. Some of them are awesome.
el scorcho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just heard I got a distinction in the grade 6 exam

I hate blowing my own horn, but I'm totally stunned at that... don't know how I pulled that off
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by el scorcho)
just heard I got a distinction in the grade 6 exam

I hate blowing my own horn, but I'm totally stunned at that... don't know how I pulled that off
Well done
el scorcho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
Well done
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm sort of just over ATCL level, though that's hard to say given the broad variety of stuff on the list. I mean, I could play some stuff on the LTCL list, and I couldn't some of the stuff on the ATCL list. Whatever. I could do DipABRSM, though. However ,I don't have grade 8 *sheepish*

Anyway, I'm learning Chopin 1st Ballade (G Minor)
and Beethoven Sonata in C op. 53 'Waldstein' - still doing 1st mov atm - it's hard!
Want to learn some Rach preludes.
I play the Liszt 3rd Liebestraum, Brahms Intermezzi op. 118 nos. 1+2 - these are gorgeous
And Chopin Revolutionary, and I sort of learn op. 10/5 and 8.
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haeron)
Anyway, I'm learning Chopin 1st Ballade (G Minor)
and Beethoven Sonata in C op. 53 'Waldstein' - still doing 1st mov atm - it's hard!
Me too :woo:
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The scherzando bit in the Ballade is hard - especially when the LH plays octaves and the RH plays the very odd figures - then the arpeggios after that are great fun

The coda's blahdy hard.
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've done grade 8 now, and I'm looking at new pieces to get started on.

Can anyone suggest anything along the same lines as Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor, Brahams Rhapsody in G minor, and the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata?

I.e, minor, fastish pieces which are quite passionate?
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
I've done grade 8 now, and I'm looking at new pieces to get started on.

Can anyone suggest anything along the same lines as Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor, Brahams Rhapsody in G minor, and the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata?

I.e, minor, fastish pieces which are quite passionate?
Some Beethoven sonatas I can think of that fit your criteria:

No. 1 in F minor, Op. 2 No.1 (movt. 4)
No. 5 in C minor, Op. 5 No. 1 (movt. 1, 3)
No. 8 in C minor (Pathétique), Op. 13 (1, 3)
No. 17 in D minor (Tempest), Op. 31 No. 2 (3)
No. 23 in F minor (Appassionata), Op. 57 - this might be too difficult to tackle yet.

With Chopin, there is of course his Fantasie Impromptu. You might want to try some of his études, although some are very difficult. Perhaps Op. 10 No. 12 (Revolutionary) and Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean). All 3 are minor, fast and passionate :p: . You could have a look at his first Ballade in G minor. There are also various preludes and mazurkas but I'm afraid I don't know much about them.

Discuss with your teacher if you have one as I can't think of much more.
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
Some Beethoven sonatas I can think of that fit your criteria:

No. 1 in F minor, Op. 2 No.1 (movt. 4)
No. 5 in C minor, Op. 5 No. 1 (movt. 1, 3)
No. 8 in C minor (Pathétique), Op. 13 (1, 3)
No. 17 in D minor (Tempest), Op. 31 No. 2 (3)
No. 23 in F minor (Appassionata), Op. 57 - this might be too difficult to tackle yet.

With Chopin, there is of course his Fantasie Impromptu. You might want to try some of his études, although some are very difficult. Perhaps Op. 10 No. 12 (Revolutionary) and Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean). All 3 are minor, fast and passionate :p: . You could have a look at his first Ballade in G minor. There are also various preludes and mazurkas but I'm afraid I don't know much about them.

Discuss with your teacher if you have one as I can't think of much more.
Cheers! I've already played the second Beethoven you listed, very good!
Any other suggestions guys?
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
Cheers! I've already played the second Beethoven you listed, very good!
Any other suggestions guys?
Try some Scarlatti if you want something a bit earlier, but still "fastish and passionate"; it requires a very solid technique if you want to play it quickly but with finesse, and to get it controlled will improve your general playing just as much as 10/12 &c. I suggest you look at these ones, and pick a couple you like:

K.27 in B minor (often played quite slow, but look for Michelangeli's vid on YouTube)
K.29 in D major
K.39 in A major
K.201 in G major
K.386 in F minor
K.519 in F minor
The one in D Minor that Argerich plays.

There's loads of it, so you might find others you prefer.
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Be careful with some of the suggestions here if you've just done grade 8 - stuff like the Rach G Minor and Chopin Ballades (except 3) are LTCL repertoire - that's the second diploma from a London music school - they're hard. Also the Chopin etudes are hard :P
Brahms G Minor Ballade, op. 118 might be one to look at.
Rach C-sharp Minor prelude starts slow, but really builds up to a powerful climax.
Beethoven Sonata no. 27 op. 90 in E Minor - whole range of moods - 1st mov. is Minor, second is Major (only 2 movs.)
Da Bachtopus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also the Chopin etudes are hard :P
No sheeeeeyat. I reckon there's something to be said for looking at them and practising them even if you don't intend to bring them to performance standard for a while. I'm working on 10/1 and 10/12 right now and it's done a lot for both my hands.

I feel sick if I even think about playing 10/2.
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I play 10/12 but I need to de-sloppify it - 10/8 is a bit of a nightmare to synchronize in the middle section - also they're ALL difficult to play without tension. I FEAR 25/6.
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
God I need to play the piano. I've done virtually no serious practice since, what, March
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Grr...youtube is so useless
Thank god for Naxos
Da Bachtopus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I play 10/12 but I need to de-sloppify it - 10/8 is a bit of a nightmare to synchronize in the middle section - also they're ALL difficult to play without tension. I FEAR 25/6.
Haha, that's the only one my teacher can't play. This recording scares the **** out of me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4pXNYwQjA

She /does/ play a Bösendorfer though, so the action will be pretty light.

I can't yet decide if 10/2 or 25/6 is worst, since I'm nowhere near good enough for either. I just do my chormatic thirds each time I practise and hope one day they get a bit faster
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want a godly recording of that etude, Lhevinne :
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCj-j...eature=related

And also, just to scare you further, this is why Godowsky is a *******
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2a-M...eature=related
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.87%
No (441)
73.13%

Watched Threads