TSR Piano Society Watch

Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd agree that if you don't need Gd 8 for Uni, concentrate on your As. I hope you have the will to come back to it later tho' - I did the same and never actually got round to doing the Gd 8
hannahhi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
If you don't specifically need to do Grade 8, I guess it'd be a better option to just leave it so as not to potentially compromise performance in your exams. I've been leaving mine off for a while now; it doesn't make much difference to me. If you really want to do it, you (or perhaps your teacher) would know best whether or not you could. Are you confident in learning 3 pieces in 4/5 months?
If I were you, I'd just leave it. All the best
Thanks for the reply No- I don't need it, I'd just like to have it. I have a piano lesson on Thursday, I'm going to talk it through with her then, but at the minute I think my decision is to leave it and hopefully come back to it in a few years.
Languagesfreak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm playing Weber's Perpetuum Mobile at a concert in 2 weeks :O So scary haha
Instincts_2012
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, I'm going to take my grade 1 piano exam, how does it work?

How many pieces will you be given to play and how long do they let you revise for?

Can you please explain the details of the surroundings? is it just one room and you go in 1 by 1 or is it a massive all with everyone playing at the same time?

I live in London, NW6. Thanks.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, can anyone recommend me a link full of grade 1 piano examination pieces please? ( or is this copyright-illegal)?
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Instincts_2012)
Also, can anyone recommend me a link full of grade 1 piano examination pieces please? ( or is this copyright-illegal)?
I don't think you'll find internet copies, examination pieces aren't that famous. You'll have to buy the book in a music shop
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, I'm going to take my grade 1 piano exam, how does it work?

How many pieces will you be given to play and how long do they let you revise for?

Can you please explain the details of the surroundings? is it just one room and you go in 1 by 1 or is it a massive all with everyone playing at the same time?

I live in London, NW6. Thanks.
3 pieces as far as I know, and generally it's a year- but depends how quickly you pick up the pieces- could take longer or happen sooner.

One room and you go in 1 by 1 and play for the examiner etc.

Well that's how it generally works
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And I'm now doing my Grade 8 in December, feel more comfortable with that.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hannahhi)
And I'm now doing my Grade 8 in December, feel more comfortable with that.
What pieces are you doing?
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Languagesfreak)
What pieces are you doing?
Fugue no 5 in D major- Bach
Sonata in D- Mozart
Consolation no 3 in D flat major- Liszt
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
3 pieces as far as I know, and generally it's a year

Well that's how it generally works
Ummm... I don't quite understand, do they send you the pieces that you will be examined on and expect you to play them fluently within a year?
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ummm... I don't quite understand, do they send you the pieces that you will be examined on and expect you to play them fluently within a year?
Do you have a piano teacher?
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you have a piano teacher?
Yes.
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.
They should be able to guide you through it. But basically there's a set syllabus of pieces you choose 3 from and then you practice them until you're ready to do the exam. You'll have to buy a book.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They should be able to guide you through it. But basically there's a set syllabus of pieces you choose 3 from and then you practice them until you're ready to do the exam. You'll have to buy a book.
Oh ok, Thanks!
hannahhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh ok, Thanks!
No problem, good luck!
StandingOnAir
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think this is the best place to put this...

I haven't played piano in a little while, but I'm looking to get back into playing for fun. I'm at about Grade 8 standard (the set pieces for ABRSM were no problem when I was preparing for the exam), and over the last few years I've had a lot of fun with Grieg's Lyrical Pieces. I want to branch out a bit, though - can anyone recommend to me anything else I might enjoy? (Preferably another set I can work my way through?)
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by StandingOnAir)
I think this is the best place to put this...

I haven't played piano in a little while, but I'm looking to get back into playing for fun. I'm at about Grade 8 standard (the set pieces for ABRSM were no problem when I was preparing for the exam), and over the last few years I've had a lot of fun with Grieg's Lyrical Pieces. I want to branch out a bit, though - can anyone recommend to me anything else I might enjoy? (Preferably another set I can work my way through?)
You might like some Debussy - I'd say his Arabesques, Preludes and perhaps Children's Corner.

"Grade 8" is quite vague really, there are lots of things you can try out. I went with some Classical sonatas (Haydn, Mozart and early Beethoven). Also try looking at Bach's WTC.
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If anyone could give some advice

Chopin étude 10/8 - how should you play the semiquavers (in the first section)?

E.g. 2nd bar, A G F C x4 descending (fingering 4 3 2 1)

The past few weeks I've been playing it with a "rotating" wrist, when switching from the thumb to 4th finger, but apparently this is bad technique. My sister/teacher said I should let go after hitting the C with my thumb, but this sounds detached and uneven. Should it all sound smooth without pedal?
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
Y"Grade 8" is quite vague really, there are lots of things you can try out. I went with some Classical sonatas (Haydn, Mozart and early Beethoven). Also try looking at Bach's WTC.
This. Also look at some easier Chopin noctures. I think it's really important to build up a solid "basic technique" in Baroque/Classical repertoire to attune you to accuracy, which so often can be blurred in later works (esp. with pedal).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads