TSR Piano Society Watch

pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
Are there any pianists here who play the organ?
I wish :sad:
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've got a repertoire of hands only organ music for weddings, masses and funerals 'cos my foot coordination is hopeless - can't play the pedals. For the same reason, I can play orchestral percussion but not kit
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One day I mean to learn organ and harpsichord (I suspect this latter isn't going to be too much of a step). But I will need to afford them, so that day could be quite remote. First off I at least want a decent piano and a place of my own. I am almost certainly going to die in squalour, surrounded by a library and reproduction period instruments.
Languagesfreak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm learning the organ as of next week
John05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Languagesfreak)
I'm learning the organ as of next week
How did you go about finding a teacher? I'm not quite sure where to be looking
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by John05)
How did you go about finding a teacher? I'm not quite sure where to be looking
My music teacher just offered to teach me I'm not sure where you could look, ask the local church organist maybe?
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be getting piano lessons again soon Really looking forward to it if it goes ahead!
johnbrown
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can anyone here play Scriabin - Etude Op. 8 No. 12

How difficult is it? Because I just watched it on youtube, and it looks very very difficult.. I'm scared....
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by johnbrown)

How difficult is it? Because I just watched it on youtube, and it looks very very difficult.. I'm scared....
It is VERY VERY difficult. One day I'd hope to play it. Try the op.2 C# minor one, or some of the préludes.
johnbrown
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Da Bachtopus)
It is VERY VERY difficult. One day I'd hope to play it. Try the op.2 C# minor one, or some of the préludes.
My piano teacher wants me to try it, I have no idea why the **** he thinks I'm capable though. Maybe if I practise two hours a day every day for the next TWO YEARS

I wish I could play it though

I'll look at some of the other stuff as well, thanks for the suggestions
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by johnbrown)

If you think that's difficult, look at Ravel's 'Gaspard de la Nuit' :p:
DomTre
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just for those who are asking about it, be wary about starting to learn organ because it can seriously feck up your piano technique (if you've learnt about technique that much). It's quite a bit different tbh. When I went for an audition for a uni, the bloke could tell I'd played the organ because of the way I was playing.
The pedals might be a bit difficult at first and I suppose it required a bit more thought that co-ordinating the two hands together.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DomTre)
Just for those who are asking about it, be wary about starting to learn organ because it can seriously feck up your piano technique (if you've learnt about technique that much). It's quite a bit different tbh. When I went for an audition for a uni, the bloke could tell I'd played the organ because of the way I was playing.
The pedals might be a bit difficult at first and I suppose it required a bit more thought that co-ordinating the two hands together.
How are the techniques different? I heard you have to play really legato on an organ or something.
DomTre
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How are the techniques different? I heard you have to play really legato on an organ or something.
Yeah, basically everything on an organ is slurred. Plus it's weirder having no touch sensitivity on the keys hehe.

Can't remember anything else though, he didn't go into much detail of what he could hear of what was different. Possibly I wasn't playing "into the keys" enough because I was used to an organ being that the pressure on the keys doesn't make much of a difference.
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember the organ being absolutely obsessive about touch, articulation, fingering etc. with lots of finger switching to keep the legato and carefully timing staccatos to create an accent on the next note. Even worse with the pedals. Likewise, playing a lot of light action synth can mess up your piano tone.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fletch)
I remember the organ being absolutely obsessive about touch, articulation, fingering etc. with lots of finger switching to keep the legato and carefully timing staccatos to create an accent on the next note. Even worse with the pedals. Likewise, playing a lot of light action synth can mess up your piano tone.
Ah darn, I wish I didn't have an electric piano
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First piano lesson in absolutely bloody ages tomorrow! Can't wait - been having a go at learning 'Moment Musical' by Schubert today, had some success I think, but we'll find out how much exactly tomorrow when I go for my lesson, tis going to be awesome
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -G-a-v-)
First piano lesson in absolutely bloody ages tomorrow! Can't wait - been having a go at learning 'Moment Musical' by Schubert today, had some success I think, but we'll find out how much exactly tomorrow when I go for my lesson, tis going to be awesome
Well, how did it go? :p: I quite like the MM actually.
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, how did it go? :p: I quite like the MM actually.
It was immense! Yeah MM is quite fun to play, but quite tough to play well IMO. Should prove a nice challenge!
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -G-a-v-)
It was immense! Yeah MM is quite fun to play, but quite tough to play well IMO. Should prove a nice challenge!
Yeah, it's quite tough :p: When I'm not playing my diploma pieces I'm trying to learn Liebestraum No. 3 :O So hard lol.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.4%
No (439)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.89%

Watched Threads