TSR Piano Society Watch

benmh92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Languagesfreak)
Yay, good news! What made you change your mind?
I'm not sure, just thought one day why not. Getting up to grade 7 only would be shame and it would be nice to get grade 8 done by the time i go to Uni (next year). Plus it can only improve me as a pianist
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by benmh92)
I'm not sure, just thought one day why not. Getting up to grade 7 only would be shame and it would be nice to get grade 8 done by the time i go to Uni (next year). Plus it can only improve me as a pianist
Trudat :p: I'm really regretting entering myself for the DipABRSM These programmes notes are annoying.
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Trudat :p: I'm really regretting entering myself for the DipABRSM These programmes notes are annoying.
I take that's the level after Grade 8 yeah? What do you have to do in it then?
camaieu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What pieces are you going to play benmh92? What board are you on?

I'm on TG and doing:

Gladiolus Rag (S. Joplin)
Sonata in D K284, 1st movement (Mozart)
Dizzy Fingers (Zez Confrey)

So far so good...!
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I take that's the level after Grade 8 yeah? What do you have to do in it then?
You have to play a 35 minute recital of pieces from the list they give, and you need to write an essay of 1,000 words about your pieces.
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Catherine.)
What pieces are you going to play benmh92? What board are you on?

I'm on TG and doing:

Gladiolus Rag (S. Joplin)
Sonata in D K284, 1st movement (Mozart)
Dizzy Fingers (Zez Confrey)

So far so good...!
Not sure yet, my teacher is getting the book and i will be seeing it on Monday I am on ABRSM. How do you find the step up from Grade 7 to 8? (Question is aimed towards everyone who's done/doing grade 8 too )

You have to play a 35 minute recital of pieces from the list they give, and you need to write an essay of 1,000 words about your pieces.
Sounds pretty hard! All the best with it! What does the diploma do as well, is there any thing after that and what does it give you (or would it just be knowledge or something?)
camaieu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not sure yet, my teacher is getting the book and i will be seeing it on Monday I am on ABRSM. How do you find the step up from Grade 7 to 8? (Question is aimed towards everyone who's done/doing grade 8 too )
To be honest, I think it's a fair wee jump. The pieces, in my opinion are a lot nicer than the previous grades, because you're at a standard now where you're able to play more sophisticated and challenging pieces. However, a lot more is expected of you, especially in ear tests and sight reading.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Sounds pretty hard! All the best with it! What does the diploma do as well, is there any thing after that and what does it give you (or would it just be knowledge or something?)
Afterwards you can do LRSM and FRSM. Doesn't really give you anything much tbh.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just played a pretty cool gig with my jazz quartet :p: Good laugh
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just played a pretty cool gig with my jazz quartet :p: Good laugh
Nice, what instruments do you all play and what sort of jazz do you play?

I just started Grade 8 today, exciting stuff My teacher went through all the pieces in small detail during the lesson so i haven't played anything yet but we've got a general gist on what i will end up playing. One of those ruled out is an 8 page long piece by Mendellsohn :eek3: I do really like a Beethoven, but he is very hard to play from what i've played from him, and there's a really nice piece from the same section which is probably easier soo... :p:
Ducklighter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I just started Grade 8 today, exciting stuff My teacher went through all the pieces in small detail during the lesson so i haven't played anything yet but we've got a general gist on what i will end up playing. One of those ruled out is an 8 page long piece by Mendellsohn :eek3: I do really like a Beethoven, but he is very hard to play from what i've played from him, and there's a really nice piece from the same section which is probably easier soo... :p:
[i'm not sure if I'm in this soc but...]
I'm doing the Clemti (sp?) Beethoven and the Brahms onee =)
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Piano, bass, guitar, drums.. we just play cocktail bar jazz mainly! I did an awesome solo the other day xD
juxtaposition-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rach 2 . Absolutely amazing...
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by juxtaposition-x)
Rach 2 . Absolutely amazing...
I'll learn it one day
juxtaposition-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll learn it one day
Haha, good luck, and have fun with that!
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've decided to go for a diploma!

Probably with Trinity, I much prefer the initials, and there's less work to be done :yep:
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
I've decided to go for a diploma!

Probably with Trinity, I much prefer the initials, and there's less work to be done :yep:
Do you have to write programme notes for Trinity's Diploma? I'm doing one with ABRSM and I have to write 1,000 words worth of programme notes
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you have to write programme notes for Trinity's Diploma? I'm doing one with ABRSM and I have to write 1,000 words worth of programme notes
You do, but I think that's all you have to do, and I also believe the word limit is lower.

Whereas with ABRSM you've got the viva voce, sight reading etc.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
You do, but I think that's all you have to do, and I also believe the word limit is lower.

Whereas with ABRSM you've got the viva voce, sight reading etc.
Hmm, sight reading isn't too bad though. Nor is the viva if you do A level music. What pieces are you doing for yours?
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, sight reading isn't too bad though. Nor is the viva if you do A level music. What pieces are you doing for yours?
Yeah sight-reading's probably a strong point for me, but at the end of the day it's still more effort doing ABRSM. Plus ATCL at the end of your name is waaayy cooler than DipABRSM. :p:

I'm probably going to do Rachmaninov's Polichinelle and C sharp minor prelude from the same Opus.

Haydn sonata in C which I played for grade 8.

Brahams rhapsody in G

And no idea what else. Haven't really properly started it yet, got a piano concert in July to get over and done with first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (40)
28.17%
No - I got the required grades (84)
59.15%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads