the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kompa)
Hey,

Another probably old & foolish question;

Do I have to have piano lessons to be realistically successful? I've been playing the guitar for the past 3 years however have always wanted to play the piano more, i'm getting a portable grand for my birthday, which i've wanted for years however the question now comes, how to go about learning?

I'm already having guitar lessons, and am therefore reluctant to begin piano lessons because of the cost. I'm also reluctant to discontinue my guitar lessons, which I also thoroughly enjoy. I know of a series on youtube for learning the piano, which seems promising and I am dedicated to learning, however would my playing suffer/ would I learn alot slower by following an online-free course like that as opposed to lessons?

Thanks.
Well, I'm self-taught and have reached a fairly good standard - in that I have a decent repertoire and play without major mistakes, and am all right with tone and phrasing etc. My fingering can be a bit unorthodox, and I'm rubbish with the pedals, and there's probably a fair bit wrong with my technique, but not so much that I'm not able to play the pieces I want to reasonably well. Obviously, though, without a teacher there'll be things you're not doing or don't know about which would prevent you from getting ambitious - if I want to try Lizst or some of the more *difficult* Chopin / Beethoven / whatever, I get frustrated with my lack of technique. But if you just want to play for enjoyment there's no reason why you shouldn't teach yourself - it's easier with piano as you don't have to worry about *how* to make the sound.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi all! :hello:

This has probably already been asked but I don't have time to read through all the other posts so apologies if it has. This is going to sound quite silly but - how do you deal with keeping stubborn sheet music books open? Some books will stay open easily enough but others just refuse to stay open at the right page. I've resorted to scanning and copying pieces for these books because barring crushing the book so it stays on the pages I want it just doesn't work (at worst it just falls off the stand onto the piano!). Thanks.
Kompa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
Well, I'm self-taught and have reached a fairly good standard - in that I have a decent repertoire and play without major mistakes, and am all right with tone and phrasing etc. My fingering can be a bit unorthodox, and I'm rubbish with the pedals, and there's probably a fair bit wrong with my technique, but not so much that I'm not able to play the pieces I want to reasonably well. Obviously, though, without a teacher there'll be things you're not doing or don't know about which would prevent you from getting ambitious - if I want to try Lizst or some of the more *difficult* Chopin / Beethoven / whatever, I get frustrated with my lack of technique. But if you just want to play for enjoyment there's no reason why you shouldn't teach yourself - it's easier with piano as you don't have to worry about *how* to make the sound.
Thanks alot for the advice, i've decided to have a fortnightly lesson, but I do find that when practising pieces not covered in a lesson my technique is much less fluid...

I am hopefully aiming to continue to play the piano for the rest of my life so I suppose it would be nice to have a good foundation on which to build, but indeed it's so expensive.

Thanks anyway.
meatball893
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Hi all! :hello:

This has probably already been asked but I don't have time to read through all the other posts so apologies if it has. This is going to sound quite silly but - how do you deal with keeping stubborn sheet music books open? Some books will stay open easily enough but others just refuse to stay open at the right page. I've resorted to scanning and copying pieces for these books because barring crushing the book so it stays on the pages I want it just doesn't work (at worst it just falls off the stand onto the piano!). Thanks.
I've had that problem a lot too. I use clothes pegs to keep the page open, and kind of hook the long end of the peg on the inside edge of the stand. But if your stand is just a 'platform', then this won't work. Also, page turns are a pain.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has another solution!
JRaphael
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys, new here and been playing the piano for just about 2 years... only grade 3 ABRSM (working on 4 hopefully by next January if not sooner) but we all start somewhere I guess. LOVE playing it though, it's so relaxing.

Looking at:
A: Beethoven's Symphony No. 1 (4th movt.)
B: Vaughan Williams' Valse lente
C: Heather Hammond "On the Swing"

(Original post by meatball893)
I've had that problem a lot too. I use clothes pegs to keep the page open, and kind of hook the long end of the peg on the inside edge of the stand. But if your stand is just a 'platform', then this won't work. Also, page turns are a pain.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has another solution!
I actually have some lovely music-themed wooden clips that function like clothes pegs / bulldog clips, which my last housemate bought me from her work (Shared Earth). One's a treble clef and the other's a double quaver and I usually stick one to either end of the stand edge, but it's essentially the same technique, just more decorative. But anything like that works really well and I actually got the technique from my piano teacher. :yep:
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JRaphael)
Hey guys, new here and been playing the piano for just about 2 years... only grade 3 ABRSM (working on 4 hopefully by next January if not sooner) but we all start somewhere I guess. LOVE playing it though, it's so relaxing.
Hi. :hello: And good luck with your grade 4.

I actually have some lovely music-themed wooden clips that function like clothes pegs / bulldog clips, which my last housemate bought me from her work (Shared Earth). One's a treble clef and the other's a double quaver and I usually stick one to either end of the stand edge, but it's essentially the same technique, just more decorative. But anything like that works really well and I actually got the technique from my piano teacher. :yep:
That sounds nice - I might have to look for something similar. At the moment I'm photocopying any books that refuse to stay open, and am considering buying a comb-binder to keep my sheets tidy and easy to use.

Going onto another topic altogether - does anyone know a good book for learning to play piano chordal accompaniment? The sort of thing that it's grade 6 theory (which I started but didn't finish ).
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Teacher has given me the instruction to learn a Chopin etude every 2 weeks. Wish me luck!
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Haeron)
Teacher has given me the instruction to learn a Chopin etude every 2 weeks. Wish me luck!
Good luck indeed. :yep:
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely not, which ones are you starting with?
Haeron
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by scherzi)
Surely not, which ones are you starting with?
Starting from the very beginning, I hear it's a very good place to start! It's not so bad, I mean, I'm on holiday, so I have lots of time!
scherzi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Starting from the very beginning, I hear it's a very good place to start! It's not so bad, I mean, I'm on holiday, so I have lots of time!
Well 10/1 and 10/2 are a pretty hard place to start :p: tell me how you find them, I'm interested
meatball893
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can anyone recommend some nice not-too-tricky-but-post-Grade-8 pieces for me to learn over the summer?
scherzi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by meatball893)
Can anyone recommend some nice not-too-tricky-but-post-Grade-8 pieces for me to learn over the summer?
Any particular style you'd prefer?
meatball893
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by scherzi)
Any particular style you'd prefer?
Not really. I enjoy playing all sorts of music (except 20th century dissonant stuff). I'd like to learn some Chopin though.
JRaphael
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi. :hello: And good luck with your grade 4.

That sounds nice - I might have to look for something similar. At the moment I'm photocopying any books that refuse to stay open, and am considering buying a comb-binder to keep my sheets tidy and easy to use.

Going onto another topic altogether - does anyone know a good book for learning to play piano chordal accompaniment? The sort of thing that it's grade 6 theory (which I started but didn't finish ).
Thanks!

Grade 6 theory'll teach you to write it, not play it, unless that's what you meant?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Grade 6 theory'll teach you to write it, not play it, unless that's what you meant?
I meant both - being given a melody, I want to be able to add chordal accompaniment in real-time. Or at worst, just write the chords in symbols beforehand (I, IVa, Vb, that sort of thing) and be able to play from just that and the melody.
JRaphael
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I meant both - being given a melody, I want to be able to add chordal accompaniment in real-time. Or at worst, just write the chords in symbols beforehand (I, IVa, Vb, that sort of thing) and be able to play from just that and the melody.
*nod*

I'm using a great book at the moment called "Practice in Music Theory" which teaches you everything and then lets you have a go. It doesn't give you the answers (because there's usually more than one right answer) but it does do very well at giving you the basics. The books are available through the grades. I'm working on Grade 6 myself, and I can recommend it. Eventually I'll find someone to check my answers...:cool:
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*nod*

I'm using a great book at the moment called "Practice in Music Theory" which teaches you everything and then lets you have a go. It doesn't give you the answers (because there's usually more than one right answer) but it does do very well at giving you the basics. The books are available through the grades. I'm working on Grade 6 myself, and I can recommend it. Eventually I'll find someone to check my answers...:cool:
I have "Harmony in Practice" (Anna Butterworth), "Music Theory in Practice - Grade 6" (Aston & Webb) and "Theory Workbook - Grade 6" (ABRSM). They're good for learning to decide which chords to use, but I'm looking for a book that goes through how to go about playing pieces that already have the chords/accompaniment with progressively more challenging examples of such pieces (i.e. how to play rather than how to write).
LostHorizons
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi all I'v been playing piano for about 2 1/2 years and am currently at grade 5. I'm hoping to take grade 5 theory this November so I can do grade 6 piano next summer, but having never done theory before its proving to be a MASSIVE headache
Rose W
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Urgh, played on a keyboard piano for a while (don't ask why) and now I've moved back to the grand piano - keys feel so weird. I can't seem to apply the appropriate weight to each key. The keyboard has messed everything up. :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads