Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Piano Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    I don't think it's at all a silly idea to try, but it might be worth just getting a couple of lessons or so before the exam. I've always had a teacher, and feel like I'd be much worse off without being given constructive criticism on my playing, and I do think it could be quite tricky to do preparation for the aural tests yourself, and to a certain extent it might be difficult to judge your own ability to sight-read too. Good luck, whatever you decide to do
    Aural tests aren't a problem because I've done higher grades in other instruments but yeah I'm thinking it would be nice to have somebody tell me whether I'm doing something wrong, or could be doing it better. My sight reading does suck however :p: I can probs contact my old teacher and she'd be happy to give me some help, she still accompanies me for singing and things like that.

Thankyou for the advice and speedy reply I'm actually well up for this challenge haha, I was so disappointed last time after I failed I really want to prove to myself I can do it

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone reccomend any keyboard to take to uni with me?
    I'm going to Glamorgan uni, I don't think has a music facility therefore I'm just gonna get a keyboard, to play in my room. I am currently doing my grade 8 so was thinking of weighted 76 keys... but 88 seems cool though =/ eurrgh decisions decisions.

Something like this maybe? http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...eyboard--38324

Also, I will also go to shops and make sure 76 keys will be enough for me too so don't worry aobut me buying online etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ducklighter)
    Can anyone reccomend any keyboard to take to uni with me?
    I'm going to Glamorgan uni, I don't think has a music facility therefore I'm just gonna get a keyboard, to play in my room. I am currently doing my grade 8 so was thinking of weighted 76 keys... but 88 seems cool though =/ eurrgh decisions decisions.

Something like this maybe? http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...eyboard--38324

Also, I will also go to shops and make sure 76 keys will be enough for me too so don't worry aobut me buying online etc.
    Go for 88 keys. I have a 76 key one (Yamaha DGX-230) and there are too few keys on the low end for quite a few of the pieces I play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Go for 88 keys. I have a 76 key one (Yamaha DGX-230) and there are too few keys on the low end for quite a few of the pieces I play.
    Thannk you I'll go for that then
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Does anyone know how I'd go about playing a "progression of rising semitones"? :confused: The context is chords as accompaniment for a choir. Apparently it goes: C G#7 C# A7 D etc. But I'm finding it quite hard to play that - any tips?

ReputationRep:
    What keybaords do you guys use at uni. I'm at a loss about which keyboard to buy with 88 keys preferably don't want to go over £400 if possible.

(Original post by alex_hk90)
    Hi all! :hello:

This has probably already been asked but I don't have time to read through all the other posts so apologies if it has. This is going to sound quite silly but - how do you deal with keeping stubborn sheet music books open? Some books will stay open easily enough but others just refuse to stay open at the right page. I've resorted to scanning and copying pieces for these books because barring crushing the book so it stays on the pages I want it just doesn't work (at worst it just falls off the stand onto the piano!). Thanks.
    Funnily enough, in a business project I did at school 5 years ago we tried to address that problem by making (and selling) clips to keep music books open. They were similar to the 'gimbles' that have since started to be sold in Waterstones, although larger in order to be suitable for music books. Given how common the problem is, I suspect you'll find something appropriate if you spend a little time searching on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Funnily enough, in a business project I did at school 5 years ago we tried to address that problem by making (and selling) clips to keep music books open. They were similar to the 'gimbles' that have since started to be sold in Waterstones, although larger in order to be suitable for music books. Given how common the problem is, I suspect you'll find something appropriate if you spend a little time searching on the internet.
    I've started using string attached with clothes pegs to the edges of the pages and stretched around the back of my stand. Page turns are a ***** though. But they will be, whatever I do.

ReputationRep:
    hii guys
    im new heree..

taking FTCL in a couple months
    fav pieces + my only repertoire :P:

Un Sospiro - Listz
    Appassionnata Sonata - Beethoven
    Chaconne in D minor - Bach/Busoni
    Grand Polonaise brilliante - Chopin
    Fantasie Impromptu - Chopin
    La Campanella - Chopin
    Flight of the Bumblebee - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Impromptu in Bb - Schubert
    polonaise in c sharp minor - Chopin
    Sonata in C K309 - Mozart
    Sonata in C K330 - Mozart
    Partita 6: toccata - Bach
    Partita 2 C minor - Bach
    Revolutionary Etude - Chopin

ReputationRep:
    Newbie here Been playing piano since I can remember, but haven't had lessons/taken any exams, but would put myself around grade 6/7. I bring cookies? :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Newbie here Been playing piano since I can remember, but haven't had lessons/taken any exams, but would put myself around grade 6/7. I bring cookies? :p:
    Hi. :hello: And thanks. :cookie:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cookies :gah:

ReputationRep:
    How'd you know what grade you are if you're self-taught =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    It's not really self-taught, as my nan who's been a piano teacher for years has kind of taught me, so I trust her judgement!

ReputationRep:
    It's not really self-taught, as my nan who's been a piano teacher for years has kind of taught me, so I trust her judgement!
    I was so confused as to why you quoted me with that, then I read up and I'm guessing you think I was talking about you.

I was talking about ME, been teaching myself for like a year and a half, I can play pretty good, but reading notes... erm.

Not all about you ya know! :P

ReputationRep:
    Name a couple of pieces you play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    Name a couple of pieces you play
    Erm off the top of my head:

- Moonlight Sonata
    - Fur Elise
    - Naruto Sadness and Sorrow
    - Naruto Hokage's Funeral
    - Linkin Park Numb
    - Clubbed to Death
    - My heart will go on (Titanic).
    Edit: Final fantasy zanarkand

Can't think of anything else atm, I actually forget the amount of songs I can play till something reminds me, would know so much more but I'm lazy. Which is why I still don't play by notes. I've played trumpet and recorder in th past and I've learn the piano basics but meh.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Try some of the pieces from different grades and you'll see approximately where you are. But you should also be able to do sight reading for that grade so if you can't read music it's a bit different I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I was so confused as to why you quoted me with that, then I read up and I'm guessing you think I was talking about you.

I was talking about ME, been teaching myself for like a year and a half, I can play pretty good, but reading notes... erm.

Not all about you ya know! :P
    Ahhh sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I took up the piano again last October time and I will be doing my exams with the Guildhall Board of Music (Is anyone else using that??) There are 4 prep tests you can do before Grade one. My teacher has started me on the second to last one but now she wishes she started me on the last prep test because I'm learning fast!

I hate that you can only do 2 exams a year!! It's going to take me years to get to Grade 8!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.