Ravel - Concerto in G Major
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KaurPrincess)
hey does anyone know any pretty but easy piano pieces for me to self-teach myself?
(only did up to grade 2/3 and am going to try to use willpower and practise to start again)
Fur Elise? Something by Einaudi (I like Nefeli and I think it's quite easy)? Pachelbel's Canon?
Fingersmith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey does anyone know any pretty but easy piano pieces for me to self-teach myself?
(only did up to grade 2/3 and am going to try to use willpower and practise to start again)
The obvious ones are Bach's Anna Magdalena Notebook that he wrote for his wife, who was learning the harpsichord.
KaurPrincess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nephilim)

It's quite simple (compared to his other works) but there is a difficult chord change (and it's quite a stretch) in the 16th bar.
(Original post by Kartace)
Grade dipABRSM

3 favourite pieces -
Debussy - Tarantella Styrienne
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini
Ravel - Concerto in G Major
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Fur Elise? Something by Einaudi (I like Nefeli and I think it's quite easy)? Pachelbel's Canon?
(Original post by Fingersmith)
The obvious ones are Bach's Anna Magdalena Notebook that he wrote for his wife, who was learning the harpsichord.
thanks!
i've heard of a few of these, and i'll check the rest out =)
(hopefully i can manage these - the fast bit in fur elise scares me a bit...)
Kartace
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks!
i've heard of a few of these, and i'll check the rest out =)
(hopefully i can manage these - the fast bit in fur elise scares me a bit...)
I'm not sure the ones i mentioned would be suitable to teach yourself Although they are awsome pieces. Two of which i've attempted to play...badly haha
Fingersmith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some of Satie's pieces are really haunting but quite simple.
metric
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've just had my fourth piano lesson and my teacher says she reckons I'll be able to do grade 2 in the summer. I'm really happy but does that seem a little too optimistic or is that just me? Seems so quick!
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by metric)
I've just had my fourth piano lesson and my teacher says she reckons I'll be able to do grade 2 in the summer. I'm really happy but does that seem a little too optimistic or is that just me? Seems so quick!
It sounds feasible. Of course it depends on how much effort and time you're putting in, how much natural talent you have, etc. Good luck!
Fingersmith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by metric)
One of the advantages of starting late is that you already have musical experience to draw on (mayber more than you realize). It's always going to be a slower atart with young kids.
metric
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It sounds feasible. Of course it depends on how much effort and time you're putting in, how much natural talent you have, etc. Good luck!
Thanks, I'm practising quite a lot and knew a tiny bit before so I think that's helping

(Original post by Fingersmith)
One of the advantages of starting late is that you already have musical experience to draw on (mayber more than you realize). It's always going to be a slower atart with young kids.
That's true, I taught myself the guitar so I guess that is helping too.
Gob Bluth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bought the Rolan HP305 digital piano for £1300 yesterday. So nice. Reduced from over £2000 from its RRP. Beautiful piano for the price. Sure it's no real piano, but it comes fairly close!
Fingersmith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good choice and good price. Wouldn't do for me though as I have to take mine out on gigs.
SnakehipsTTC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Grade 8

Favorite piano pieces:
La Campanella - Liszt
Claire de Lune - Debussy
Sonata No.1 Mvt I - Carl vine (just awesome)
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys, I've been practising piano on my own for about a year now and I was wandering if someone could link me up to some common Grade 1 pieces so I can see where I'm at.
j.alexanderh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jin3011)
Hi guys, I've been practising piano on my own for about a year now and I was wandering if someone could link me up to some common Grade 1 pieces so I can see where I'm at.
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/...atenmarsch.pdf

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usim...piano.mscz.pdf
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks (although I can't read sheet music)
mozzabozza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I've been learning the piano for a while and my teacher is now suggesting that I should do ABRSM grade 8 this Christmas. I'm not sure what to tell her though because I know I get nervous in exams and I don't know if it's worth the stress?

Would it look good to do it?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mozzabozza)
Hi,

I've been learning the piano for a while and my teacher is now suggesting that I should do ABRSM grade 8 this Christmas. I'm not sure what to tell her though because I know I get nervous in exams and I don't know if it's worth the stress?

Would it look good to do it?
I think it's worth doing as an indicator of your technical level, also if you ever wanted to teach or something I think it would be useful to have.
mozzabozza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's worth doing as an indicator of your technical level, also if you ever wanted to teach or something I think it would be useful to have.
Thanks for that, I had my lesson today, so I am probably going to do it
Jacinthe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been having lessons for nearly 6 years now, although I got my first keyboard about 9 years ago so I taught myself (aka mucked about, I was about 7 then!) for a few years before that. I'll be taking grade 8 in December this year (A1 or A3, B1 and C4).

My three favourite pieces are:

1. Etude Op.10 No.3 in E major -Adieu (Chopin)
2. Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Movement (Beethoven)
3. Sonata in D Minor Kp.9 (Scarlatti)

Yes, the first two are cliché, but there's a reason they're so famous! I love listening to (or playing) pretty much anything, particularly baroque and classical.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.82%
No (661)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (223)
20.48%

Watched Threads