TSR Piano Society Watch

metric
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have my first ever music grade exam on wednesday, piano grade 2, wish me luck i'm terrified!
je t'aime
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I join please? I have my grade 8- did it a while ago and got a merit I had my last music lesson last week and after eleven years it was pretty sad! Hoping to carry on when I go to uni though

Favourite three pieces? Ah that's so hard! But I'd choose valse romantique by Debussy, (my grade 8 piece that I fell in love with!) the adagio of beethoven's sonata in c and I'd go for serenade of the doll by Debussy for my last one. I had a brain injury when I was fourteen and when I came home from hospital I was told to do nothing but rest and gradually reintroduce things. The only thing I carried on with through weeks and weeks of boredom was my piano lessons and my piano teacher leant me 'children's corner' by Debussy to pass the time and they all really remind me of turning a corner towards recovery

Love the piano so much- people just understand unless they play themselves!
username970964
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
I just watched a couple of your videos (the Chopin and Beethoven ones) - very impressive! :yep:
Thank you !
username970964
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by metric)
I have my first ever music grade exam on wednesday, piano grade 2, wish me luck i'm terrified!
Good Luck ! Wish you the best!
metric
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Airess3)
Good Luck ! Wish you the best!
Thank you glad to say it went pretty well (I think!)
Florence321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I went to the Royal Albert Hall for the first time yesterday (I've been playing the piano for 8 years and I'd never been before despite living 45 minutes away :ashamed2: ) We saw a BBC Prom. It was beautiful, I could have sat and watched for hours. Has anyone else been to one/is going to one?
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to start playing piano but can't really afford any lessons atm, however I own a piano, kind of old though. :p: Does anyone have any tips where to begin?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
I want to start playing piano but can't really afford any lessons atm, however I own a piano, kind of old though. :p: Does anyone have any tips where to begin?
How's your music theory? Can you read sheet music?
Aristotle's' Disciple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How's your music theory? Can you read sheet music?
Yeah, I self taught music reading, as long as the pieces aren't really complicated I'm fine.
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most important thing is to not develop a bad technique. Generally your hand positions should look natural/unmangled... try to avoid tension, especially in your wrists. Your wrists shouldn't really be angled either (i.e. the hand should carry on straight from the arm). I don't know about any online resources, but I wouldn't go with those Youtube tutorials for individual songs that just tell you what notes to play - find something that tells you about technique.
ThatPerson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL253192EED47525A8

This person really helped me, he's also got a lot of other playlists on Music Theory, etc. I still recommend getting a proper teacher when you can though, a real human helping you is invaluable.

Also try learning the Moonlight Sonata(1st movement) once you're about halfway through the playlist. It's quite a simple piece and it's very beautiful.
Blue7195
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been teaching myself piano for years now, i can read sheet music perfectly fine for both hands, i can play the right hand with ease.. but i just cannot play the second hand simultaneously. i can play them separately but not together my hands just freak out and go to fast or start trying to copy the hand i'm trying to focus on... has anyone got any tips for this? or learning the left hand parts? i'd really like to add the left hand in it sounds so much better on songs! thanks
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Blue7195)
I've been teaching myself piano for years now, i can read sheet music perfectly fine for both hands, i can play the right hand with ease.. but i just cannot play the second hand simultaneously. i can play them separately but not together my hands just freak out and go to fast or start trying to copy the hand i'm trying to focus on... has anyone got any tips for this? or learning the left hand parts? i'd really like to add the left hand in it sounds so much better on songs! thanks
Do left hand only first (I know it sounds boring but it works better this way) until you can do that confidently, then add right hand but continue to focus on the left hand. Left hand parts (in modern music anyway) tends to be mostly chord-based so it's actually quite useful to try to think of this as the main part as it is often more in sync with the underlying beat.
Blue7195
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do left hand only first (I know it sounds boring but it works better this way) until you can do that confidently, then add right hand but continue to focus on the left hand. Left hand parts (in modern music anyway) tends to be mostly chord-based so it's actually quite useful to try to think of this as the main part as it is often more in sync with the underlying beat.
ahh that makes sense, i'll try that now for learning music, thanks!
mizanonimous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anybody think it's likely to be able to learn the first movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto in 3 months, at my level?
I did my DipABRSM a year ago...
Gob Bluth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looking to teach the piano. Grade 8 standard. Thinking of getting some business cards and advertising it to fellow students to avoid the issue of being away for long periods at term time and not having to get a CRB check. Also the piano's in my room and stuff. What should i look to teach with, what sort of materials would people recommend? Got a nice Roland digital piano (rrp £2100).

Cheers!
Lord of the Flies
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why have I never seen this?! Piano forteh win! :ninja:

Currently playing Beethoven's 26th Sonata, "Les Adieux"
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lord of the Flies)
Why have I never seen this?! Piano forteh win! :ninja:

Currently playing Beethoven's 26th Sonata, "Les Adieux"
Great piece, I end up playing bits of it when flicking through my sonata book. Focusing on op. 111 atm though. Did you choose it because of the French title?
Lord of the Flies
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scherzi)
Great piece, I end up playing bits of it when flicking through my sonata book. Focusing on op. 111 atm though. Did you choose it because of the French title?
Op. 111 - nice. The trills are too difficult for me. Nah I picked it because of the music rather than the title!
Enigma Machine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all

Currently studying for Grade 5 but to I intend to jump to 8 afterwards.

My 3 favourite classical pieces:
Lizst - Paganini La Campanella (Sounds awesome!)

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement (This piece is beautiful... you can sort of feel the emotion that Beethoven put into it, as he wrote it when he was starting to become deaf. As you can imagine, it was a nightmare for him)

Rachmanioff - Prelude in G Minor Op 23. #5 (I just love the sound of it)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.98%
No (590)
60.2%
Not really bothered about them (204)
20.82%

Watched Threads