Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1.I know that i already kind of asked this question but ive kind of narrowed down my degree choices now and i wanted some feedback on my a level choices. If i wanted to do something like economics or management at Uni which of these choices would be best suited. physics, chemistry, history, maths and further maths. OR physics, chemistry, history, maths and avce business.
    2.The other option i was thinking of taking at uni instead was something like computer science or some kind of enginering/material science degree. in this case do top uni's like oxford or warwick etc generally choose those students who have taken further maths instead of those without.

3.Oh yeh sorry one more question, im not certain and so still need to find out but it is possible that my sixth form will be teaching further maths alot thorugh an online help system. If this turns out to be true would this likely affect my chances of getting an A. Im not sure how far this is true so please dont let this affect the answers to the others two questions.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do: Physics, Chem, History, Maths and Business.
    If you are going to do business related subjects, it's best to have done some sort of business qualification beforehand.
    Top unis will still take people who have only maths, you shouldn't do further maths instead of business just because of this- there are many other factors involved when Oxbridge are choosing applicants, such as interviews, personal statement etc. so doing further maths will not be *that much* of an advantage, compared to Maths A level.
    Doing business within your subjects will show more skill in general than if you do both maths and further maths, and unless you are going to do a Maths degree, Maths A level should be sufficient to do a degree in engineering/material sciences.
    I am not the best person to ask, but this is my opinion of your subjects.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a business qualification for a business related degree at uiniversity. I'd go for further maths if some of your options prefer it, that way you aren't closing any options just yet.

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea to go for F. Maths - it's a very interesting subject and will certainly be a benefit if you want to apply for the subjects you've mentioned.
    Also, some of the top universities may not allow you to use AVCE Business to fulfill any part of your offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with further maths. It will give you an advantage if you decide to pursue a more mathematical degree and is much more respected than AVCE business, which, as Gaz said, not all universities accept and none require.

ReputationRep:
    why are u doin 5 a-levels? i mean sure if u can handle it then do it. i say physics (show mathematical ability) and maths (obviously shows mathematicla ability, lol) so i think u have enough maths. Also history is good for economics, chemsitry doesn't realy give u any advantage (although u probly enjoy the subject). so maybe thats enough really shoudn't do further maths if u already do 2 mathematical type subjects. So maybe u could do AVCE Business or jus don't do anymore (stick to 4 if possible)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.