The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If you read the "Reception and Registration" booklet it says that those of us doing 5 year courses (Med/Vet Med/Dent) get a 5 year pass for the price of 4 years. So in the application where it says how long you're studying you put 5 years, then enclose a cheque for £310 and the sports department should know what to do.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
thank you. you know, this is really why i must start to read everyting, not just what i can be bothered to read.
Reply 42
I was just wondering... is there anyone here who is definately not getting a sports pass, or anyone who is gonna wait and see and maybe get one two or three weeks into term to see if they are actually using the facilities?

I can't really afford to pay for one myself and my parents have said they won't buy me a pass untill i prove to them that i'm going to use it regularly... i.e. i'm gonna have to wait before i get one.

Anyone else in this position?

And a few questions to any old students....

Is it really worth going to those introductory sports "sessions" in the first few days? Is it just a opportunity for us average footballers to be totally and utterly embarrassed and shown that we really not good enough? How popular are these "sessions"? Are they just an excuse to have a good laugh and make some friends in the first few days or are they deadly serious sports "trials"?y
im definatly not getting one cus i k now i wont use it and its very expensive
Reply 44
i got one even though it was expensive and i'm paying for it *sigh*

Reason being, if i've bought it i might aswell use it. and thus i will get a healthier lifestyle.
Reply 45
wednesburywench
im definatly not getting one cus i k now i wont use it and its very expensive

Well, i would use it. But i don't really know how often i'd use it and whether i'd use it enough to make it value for money. That's my dilemma. How often i use the facilities will depend on how much my friends around me are into sport and how the openning few weeks pan out with all the introductory sports sessions and recruitment for sports teams.

Me and my mum both agree that the Uni have a real nerve to force you to pay for three years at once. It's just a money making scheme really as they know that many won't bother renewing the pass in their second year when they realise they aren't getting value for money. Quite frankly, the whole thing has p*ssed me off greatly. :mad:
Reply 46
well, it works out cheaper as long as you go at least once a week,

Seeing as they charge the outrageous amount of £4 to go for a swim.
yea it is annoyin u shud be able to pay monthy really
Reply 48
i agree, they obviously have some sort of plan, paying for four years isn't exactly a normal way of paying for sport.
pretty much my outlook too. If i but one, i will feel guilty if i don't use it, so i will force myself to go to the gym and swim.
Reply 50
Zakatu
well, it works out cheaper as long as you go at least once a week,

That's the annoying thing. I just don't know how often i'll use it. Could be once a month (if i decide to be a lazy b*stard), could be everyday... (if i meet a group of hardcore football fans that practically live on the football pitch/in the gym.)

Looks like i'm just gonna be given some "sports money" by my parents for the first few weeks and if i decide to get one it'll be up to me to get one. :frown:
yea 4 quid for a swim is outragous i cudnt believe it when i saw it! I wanted to take up swimming at uni again but theres no way i cud afford that, at my local baths for students it is only 1 pound!
Reply 52
wednesburywench
yea 4 quid for a swim is outragous i cudnt believe it when i saw it! I wanted to take up swimming at uni again but theres no way i cud afford that, at my local baths for students it is only 1 pound!

Wel, i hate swimming so i'm OK on that score. :rolleyes:
Reply 53
waiting sounds like a good plan.

The only downside is you have to apply for another student card, which costs £5. But if you decide not to bother its obviously the best option.

As i say, i decided to give it a go. I'm definitely not a VERY sporty person and it all depends rather alot on what my (future.. :confused: ) freinds are into. I would possibly go for a swim om my own, and maybee the gym. For fitness reasons. But if i meet people/join a society i could see myself playing badminton twice a week.

However... with so much else to do i could quite easily not to any sport.

hmm.
Reply 54
Zakatu

I'm definitely not a VERY sporty person and it all depends rather alot on what my (future.. :confused: ) freinds are into.... if i meet people/join a society i could see myself playing badminton twice a week.

However... with so much else to do i could quite easily not to any sport.

hmm.

Exactly my thoughts.
I am going to get one, because the sports centre is near my lectures and so I think I'll feel that if I have to walk all that way just for a lecture, I may as well stay and do something else too. The plan is to go down an hour or two before my lecture starts, go to the gym, and then be full of energy for my lecture.

But I agree that it's a bit cheeky to ask for people to pay for three years upfront like that. We already have to pay our tuition fees and the biggest installment of our accommodation fees at the beginning of the year, plus accommodation deposit, insurance, JCR fees, and all the expenses incurred during Freshers' fortnight, plus buying things like saucepans and plates......how much disposable cash are we supposed to have??? I mean, it's not a problem for me, but I imagine I'll be very much in the minority. Some people will have parents rich enough (and willing enough) to just cough up, a handful of people like me will have been working for a year and will have saved up enough money to pay for everything, but I imagine for most students it will be a real problem. You really should be able to pay monthly.
Reply 56
susiemakemeblue
I am going to get one, because the sports centre is near my lectures and so I think I'll feel that if I have to walk all that way just for a lecture, I may as well stay and do something else too. The plan is to go down an hour or two before my lecture starts, go to the gym, and then be full of energy for my lecture.

But I agree that it's a bit cheeky to ask for people to pay for three years upfront like that. We already have to pay our tuition fees and the biggest installment of our accommodation fees at the beginning of the year, plus accommodation deposit, insurance, JCR fees, and all the expenses incurred during Freshers' fortnight, plus buying things like saucepans and plates......how much disposable cash are we supposed to have??? I mean, it's not a problem for me, but I imagine I'll be very much in the minority. Some people will have parents rich enough (and willing enough) to just cough up, a handful of people like me will have been working for a year and will have saved up enough money to pay for everything, but I imagine for most students it will be a real problem. You really should be able to pay monthly.

Very very true.

Uugh - I've decided that I'll get a pass though, as I really REALLY need to become a better swimmer. I've no technique, and I just don't float (but that's probably to do with my 5% body fat. :eek: )
Reply 57
Are there any current students out there that can answer my other questions?

>>>>>

Phil_D

Is it really worth going to those introductory sports "sessions" in the first few days? Is it just a opportunity for us average footballers to be totally and utterly embarrassed and shown that we are really not good enough? How popular are these "sessions"? Are they just an excuse to have a good laugh and make some friends in the first few days or are they deadly serious sports "trials"?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 58
I think they're only worth going to if you take your sport really seriously, and have your sights set on playing for the first team. If you're just going to play a sport for a bit of fun, I probably wouldn't bother.
Reply 59
I didn't get one but might later on... my parents actually offered to get me one, but I told them not to because I wasn't sure how much I'd use it (and I already feel bad about how much they're paying for me at the moment - so I'd feel awful if they shelled out even more money and I didn't even use the thing). I could buy one using my savings, but I didn't want to waste those either as I have precious little left after this summer! So I'll wait... I'm not sure I'd go to the gym that often anyway... I'd rather take up something like yoga, and that's two evenings a week as it is.

However, if all my friends are complete gym-fanatics, that'd make me go so I'd probably get one.

Latest

Trending

Trending