Two Gap Years? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sami86
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
They have to draw a line somewhere? So we shouldn't bother to make the system fair.

How can you say 'that's just tough luck?' .. it's common knowledge that the interviewers are lacking in people skills for the most part, if people aren't prepared for such aggressive and untelling interview techniques, they suffer in their ability to think. I know for a fact that I messed up the problems in my interview because I was in shock from his mannerisms. Why should ability to cope be a criteria to study Maths, or anything for that matter?
So what is a FAIR system to you? That is what peeves me off!!!!!!!!!!! They have to decide. It's their choice. As long as they don't discriminate it is fair. In shock from his mannerisms? Perhaps OTHER students had to DEAL with his mannerisms...but did so in a more EFFICIENT way. Because they want someone to perhaps occasionally challenge them, they don't want to sit there and wait 30 mins for you to get comfortable. I am sorry you didnt get a place. But i think it is so funny how every reject reckons they deserved a place??!!
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
My sister got a place and she thinks she could have a got performed better and thought her interview was awful. Everyone thinks that, the difference is: some performed better and deserve a place.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sami86)
So what is a FAIR system to you? That is what peeves me off!!!!!!!!!!! They have to decide. It's their choice. As long as they don't discriminate it is fair. In shock from his mannerisms? Perhaps OTHER students had to DEAL with his mannerisms...but did so in a more EFFICIENT way. Because they want someone to perhaps occasionally challenge them, they don't want to sit there and wait 30 mins for you to get comfortable. I am sorry you didnt get a place. But i think it is so funny how every reject reckons they deserved a place??!!
I believe he recieved a place at Cambridge (not Oxford, got it right!) to study Maths.
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
if he did, then he deserves to have got a place. Simple as that.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A fair system in my opinion needs some more input from the teachers, as I think you'll agree that your teachers know your ability better than anybody else. I realise there are problems with comparing across the board, and teachers wanting students to get places. If you remember though, my point was not that the system needs to be replaced, but that it can fail, and that reapplying is not futile, and one rejection does not mean you are not 'oxbridge standad. If you weren't deciding the rest of your life as you are in an Oxbridge interview, you wouldn't need 30 mins to get comfortable. I did get in, I was lucky as I said earlier, I managed to get on top of my nerves eventually, and was lucky enough to get problems I was familiar with, it could all have been different though, and I would still be the same person.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I believe he recieved a place at Cambridge (not Oxford, got it right!) to study Maths.

Cerr-rect!

How are things?
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
A fair system in my opinion needs some more input from the teachers, as I think you'll agree that your teachers know your ability better than anybody else. I realise there are problems with comparing across the board, and teachers wanting students to get places. If you remember though, my point was not that the system needs to be replaced, but that it can fail, and that reapplying is not futile, and one rejection does not mean you are not 'oxbridge standad. If you weren't deciding the rest of your life as you are in an Oxbridge interview, you wouldn't need 30 mins to get comfortable. I did get in, I was lucky as I said earlier, I managed to get on top of my nerves eventually, and was lucky enough to get problems I was familiar with, it could all have been different though, and I would still be the same person.

But...no i dont agree. Professors are more objective than teachers. Professors don't tend to like candidates that teacher's like to teach! I did not say that anyone shouldnt reapply, i just said if one does so they shouldnt do so with the attitude that they *deserve* a place (like the dude who started this thread)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But...no i dont agree. Professors are more objective than teachers. Professors don't tend to like candidates that teacher's like to teach! I did not say that anyone shouldnt reapply, i just said if one does so they shouldnt do so with the attitude that they *deserve* a place (like the dude who started this thread)
How can they be objective when the only time they've ever talked to you is for 15 mins in a Cambridge interview, when you're highly unlikely to be yourself?

I do agree that applicants can't decide whether they deserve a place, really, thinking about it.
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
How can they be objective when the only time they've ever talked to you is for 15 mins in a Cambridge interview, when you're highly unlikely to be yourself?

I do agree that applicants can't decide whether they deserve a place, really, thinking about it.
I think they get what they want from you in 15 minutes. They arent looking for the name of your guinea pig rather YOU, UNDER PRESSURE. Nothing more. They are not looking to be your friend.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Some students believe that they are destined to attend either Oxford or Cambridge, through sheer arrogance. However most of them don't make the choice themselves, sometimes its through pressure from the expectations of their parents, or because their older siblings also attended.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think they get what they want from you in 15 minutes. They arent looking for the name of your guinea pig rather YOU, UNDER PRESSURE. Nothing more. They are not looking to be your friend.
Did you apply to Oxbridge?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So why is the ability to cope with pressure a criteria for getting in, given that the average supervision is not a deciding factor of your path through life?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some students believe that they are destined to attend either Oxford or Cambridge, through sheer arrogance. However most of them don't make the choice themselves, sometimes its through pressure from the expectations of their parents, or because their older siblings also attended.
Yes. I think alot of the people on this forum think they deserve a place because they know what Oxbridge is like, and they feel some kind of spiritual destination there, and that all their top grades and hard work and sacrificing other things in their life gives them a right to a place.
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
So why is the ability to cope with pressure a criteria for getting in, given that the average supervision is not a deciding factor of your path through life?
You are being silly now :rolleyes: Path thru' your life- the supervision? An inferential leap if i was ever to see one. Supervisions/tutorials DISTINUGUISH Oxbridge from all other unis in UK. No they are not the most important thing that one will encounter in their life. But YES they are an integral part of the Oxbridge experience and thus one's performance in a mock-type supervision is likely to be vital
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
Did you apply to Oxbridge?
I am too young to apply And i dont plan to apply either next year when i am old enough. My sister applied to Oxford this year and got a place. She has raw intelligence, and guess what-it's obvious. :rolleyes:
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
I applied to Oxford this year for History as a post A-Level candidate and was rejected. As I am still only 17, I wondered whether it would be worth my time taking a second year out in order to apply to Cambridge next year.
I do honestly think that I deserved a place and have the grades/spark/whatever-you-wish-to-call-it to be successful next year. My only fear is that there will be as many applicants next year as this year - the main reason why I think I missed out on a place. Also would I be subject to top-up fees, were they to be introduced?
Finally, what on earth would I do with the extra year out - bar travelling?
best to take a gap year then
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You are being silly now :rolleyes: Path thru' your life- the supervision? An inferential leap if i was ever to see one. Supervisions/tutorials DISTINUGUISH Oxbridge from all other unis in UK. No they are not the most important thing that one will encounter in their life. But YES they are an integral part of the Oxbridge experience and thus one's performance in a mock-type supervision is likely to be vital
I believe the point of his argument was one whereby the interviewer cannot really get the history from somebody through a fifteen minute interview.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No all I'm saying is getting into Oxbridge gets VERY important in somebody's mind. When you interview, you're aware that your performance determines the rest of your life, the thought that "the next 15 minutes will determine the rest of my life" is rather daunting, a supervision is not the same. It doesn't matter if you say something silly, or wrong in a supervision, I don't expect to be nervous in a supervision. So your performance in an interview doesn't say so much about your performance in supervisions, does it?
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
I believe the point of his argument was one whereby the interviewer cannot really get the history from somebody through a fifteen minute interview.
A) they dont WANT the 'history' and rightly so...because that 'history' may be riddled with things that if used to clinch an offer exemplify DISCRIMINATION.
B) You shouldnt have to talk to someone for longer than 20 or so minutes to figure out if they 'have what it gots'!
Sami86
Report 15 years ago
No all I'm saying is getting into Oxbridge gets VERY important in somebody's mind. When you interview, you're aware that your performance determines the rest of your life, the thought that "the next 15 minutes will determine the rest of my life" is rather daunting, a supervision is not the same. It doesn't matter if you say something silly, or wrong in a supervision, I don't expect to be nervous in a supervision. So your performance in an interview doesn't say so much about your performance in supervisions, does it?
Ok...Liken the feeling that you had to sitting in the interview to the feeling that a Third Year Oxbridge candidate has sitting in their Finals. Similar? Both may "determine the rest of their lives". EVERYONE is nervous, but it is what you do with the nerves that count. Profs know that they wont be the ONLY time you are majorly nervous you will be again. And more importantly...they can see through your nerves. Hence why you got a place.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise