The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Business degrees are by no means "mickey mouse". Cambridge, Oxford and other top UK institutions offer business related degrees.
What a silly statement.
All this "mickey mouse" degree talk annoys me I don't know why. Maybe because I'm going to be doing Psychology in sept '10 and some people disregard this degree as "mickey mouse" degree, but becoming an Educational or Clinical Psychologist are not "mickey mouse" careers.

Most people I know who disregard other degrees are only studying there current degree to get a job and not to enjoy it. By enjoy I don't mean in the respect of doing as little work as possible to allow more drinking time. I mean in the respect you will suceed in a career path you will enjoy rather than brain washed into studying a degree you don't actually want to do.
this:

Hilarious. Poor guy's so excited about spending 3k a year tuition to study habbo hotel...
Reply 43
I wouldn't say any degrees are worthless, but there seem to be a fair few knocking around which could be left as college courses or apprenticeships, rather than people having to fork out over £3000 a year to study them, and that's before living costs.
LaylaLaw
I have a friend who wants to read Vocal and Choral Studies at Winchester and another who wants to do Performing Arts at Anglia Ruskin? I wish to take LLB Law with Criminology at Keele and they think it is pathetic and I should have some fun and not do such a serious subject :confused: Would you consider their degrees to be worthless?
Layla :biggrin:

Lol, all of those degrees a Mickey Mouse.

(Please, don't bang on about how Law isn't Mickey Mouse - it is for me at the "bad" unis).

Basically, anything that isn't a

*traditional humanities/arts subjects (Classics, English Literature, History/Law etc)
*modern foriegn language that is commonly used (French, Spanish, German etc)
*the big three medical/health courses (Medicine, Veterinary Science, Dentistry)
*an engineering branch (Civil, Mechanical, Aeronautical etc)
*a respectable science degree (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics)
*an earth sciences degree that is BSc/MSci level as opposed to a BA (Geology, Geography, Geophysics etc)
*an Economics related degree - providing it is a BSc.

And I think that's it, though this is open to editing.

HOWEVER - if it's not at a "good" university, it automatically becomes Mickey Mouse.
Likewise, if it is not at least a 2:1 or a 1st level, it automatically becomes Mickey Mouse.

In conclusion, a non-Mickey Mouse degree must fulfill the three conditions:

*Must be one of the subjects above - including the specific details.
*Must be at a "good" university OVERALL - and "good" is open to interpretation, but to an unlimited extent.
*Must be at a 2:1 or a 1st level

:smile:

NOTE: Major/minor and joint honours is (personally) frowned upon. So, depending on the individual degree, place and classification, whether it is Mickey Mouse or not is defined by me.
jellybeansx
All this "mickey mouse" degree talk annoys me I don't know why. Maybe because I'm going to be doing Psychology in sept '10 and some people disregard this degree as "mickey mouse" degree, but becoming an Educational or Clinical Psychologist are not "micky mouse" careers.

Most people I know who disregard other degrees are only studying there current degree to get a job and not to enjoy it. By enjoy I don't mean in the respect of doing as little work as possible to allow more drinking time. I mean in the respect you will suceed in a career path you will enjoy rather than brain washed into studying a degree you don't actually want to do.

Not necessarily.

To fulfill my criteria of whether it is MM or not, please answer the three questions:

*Is it a BSc?
*Is it from a respectable university?
*Are you predicted/aiming for at least a 2:1?

If yes to all three - then I don't consider your degree MM.
Reply 46
"Furniture Studies" Which has been mentioned somewhere on TSR.

That's got to be a bit of a joke. :unsure:
Reply 47
I don't believe that 'Mickey Mouse' degrees exist.
im so academic
Not necessarily.

To fulfill my criteria of whether it is MM or not, please answer the three questions:

*Is it a BSc?
*Is it from a respectable university?
*Are you predicted/aiming for at least a 2:1?

If yes to all three - then I don't consider your degree MM.

I've done a Psychology BSc, BPS accredited, I'm predicted a high 2:1.

It's from a mid-table ranked uni, does that mean it's mickey mouse then?! :eek3:
Reply 49
im so academic

(Please, don't bang on about how Law isn't Mickey Mouse - it is for me at the "bad" unis).

*traditional humanities/arts subjects (Classics, English Literature, History/Law etc)
*an earth sciences degree that is BSc/MSci level as opposed to a BA (Geology, Geography, Geophysics etc)

HOWEVER - if it's not at a "good" university, it automatically becomes Mickey Mouse.
Likewise, if it is not at least a 2:1 or a 1st level, it automatically becomes Mickey Mouse.

*Must be at a "good" university OVERALL - and "good" is open to interpretation, but to an unlimited extent.

NOTE: Major/minor and joint honours is (personally) frowned upon. So, depending on the individual degree, place and classification, whether it is Mickey Mouse or not is defined by me.

Lol, you're so wrong. Anyways, whatever happened to your University League table?
im so academic

That is incorrect.
Plenty of worthless degrees around. And the institution matters too. Take a look at Oxford Brookes' course list for some examples.

To all the people saying "it's none of your business", well it is because my parents pay tax and I probably will one day, if people are doing a degree which will not be respected by employers and will not help society, why should the taxpayer help fund it?
Reply 52
jellybeansx
All this "mickey mouse" degree talk annoys me I don't know why. Maybe because I'm going to be doing Psychology in sept '10 and some people disregard this degree as "mickey mouse" degree, but becoming an Educational or Clinical Psychologist are not "micky mouse" careers.

The only people who truly believe Psychology is a Micky Mouse subject are the people who believe that Derren Brown is a psychologist, that there are actually core modules in dream interpretation and mind-reading, and that "psychology" is synonymous with "psychic". :p:

Pity the fools.
Reply 53
I find it difficult to believe any degree is completely worthless and has no practical applications what so ever.
Reply 54
English?

Mind you I'm doing it so...
Reply 55
anything with "studies" in the name
Reply 56
Id say some of the arts, music kind of degree's are not 'mickey mouse' but are a bit pointless because if youre talented at drawing, painting etc then you you're talented- a uni degree wont add more to the price you're selling your stuff for.
Also, Football studies- which I heard was just a more in depth Football Manager lol
Reply 57
LaylaLaw
I have a friend who wants to read Vocal and Choral Studies at Winchester and another who wants to do Performing Arts at Anglia Ruskin? I wish to take LLB Law with Criminology at Keele and they think it is pathetic and I should have some fun and not do such a serious subject :confused: Would you consider their degrees to be worthless?
Layla :biggrin:

Yaaaaaay! Keele! :smile: I used to do Sociology and Educational Studies which bored me so much that I eventaully dropped out after my Christmas on my first year. THAT was micky mouse :tongue: Now taking International Relations.
Well a degree is only worthless if you're not going to pursue it in after uni life
aliluvschoc
The only people who truly believe Psychology is a Micky Mouse subject are the people who believe that Derren Brown is a psychologist, that there are actually core modules in dream interpretation and mind-reading, and that "psychology" is synonymous with "psychic". :p:

Pity the fools.

God, I hate this!

'I study Psychology'

'omgz iz you like learning about derren brown and body language that must be so fun n eazy!'
jamz0770
What, that a Micky Mouse degree will give you cancer?

:rofl:
russel howard <3

Latest

Trending

Trending