The Student Room Group

Statistics S1, Hate it.

I have the Edexcel Statistics S1 exam tomorrow, and i'm dreading it.
I find it really hard remembering all the formulas that aren't given; mean, standard deviation, varianca, probability, and the i find it difficult working out which formula i need to use for the question, :frown:

Anyone else doing the paper tomorrow?
Got any tips on how you remember the formulae? Advice?

Oh, and i really don't get how you find the median of grouped data, from the revision guide it looks pretty simple, but then trying to do it on a past paper question is proving quite difficult, without looking to the revision guide for help. :frown: ? ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing it.
All I did was practice the past papers. Now Im just going through formulas
Reply 2
0201Bean
I have the Edexcel Statistics S1 exam tomorrow, and i'm dreading it.
I find it really hard remembering all the formulas that aren't given; mean, standard deviation, varianca, probability, and the i find it difficult working out which formula i need to use for the question, :frown:

Anyone else doing the paper tomorrow?
Got any tips on how you remember the formulae? Advice?

Oh, and i really don't get how you find the median of grouped data, from the revision guide it looks pretty simple, but then trying to do it on a past paper question is proving quite difficult, without looking to the revision guide for help. :frown: ? ?

i feel the same I HATE STATS and im doing a s1 AQA paper tomorro,greattt!!!! isnt the median the middle number??
Agreed i still can't do normal distribution. Imma fail
Reply 4
supastah
i feel the same I HATE STATS and im doing a s1 AQA paper tomorro,greattt!!!! isnt the median the middle number??

I know! It's not even Maths imo. :frown: Good Luck. :smile:

erm, yeah, that would work for if it wasn't being worked out for grouped data, but, apparently the mean and median are estimated from grouped data, and i can do the mean, but not too sure about the median...
Reply 5
lookingatstars
Agreed i still can't do normal distribution. Imma fail

Normal distributions a ***** ¬_¬

:console: You'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 6
0201Bean
I know! It's not even Maths imo. :frown: Good Luck. :smile:

erm, yeah, that would work for if it wasn't being worked out for grouped data, but, apparently the mean and median are estimated from grouped data, and i can do the mean, but not too sure about the median...

do you use them big ugly blue statistical calculata?
Reply 7
hahaha I've only just opened my book to revise it for first time, gonna be a late night for me. Been concentrating on FP1.
Reply 8
gman2k8
hahaha I've only just opened my book to revise it for first time, gonna be a late night for me. Been concentrating on FP1.

I'm doing FP1 aswell, but isn't that like late June? :L

Lol, good luck with that, i've been at this since Monday, and still can't get the hang of some of the stuff :frown:
Reply 9
To work out the median on grouped data, you need to work out the median class, then use interpolation. This video is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFVsw73bxmg
Reply 10
I don't know any forumalae, I use my lovely, lovely calculator that does everything for me. I wouldn't be getting 95% on the past papers without it, I'd probably be getting about 50%. It's a risk, though, because I can't get any method marks, so I need to make sure I check my answers really carefully.
Reply 11
supastah
do you use them big ugly blue statistical calculata?

nope, just Efx/f or Ex/n for the mean

and the sqrt:variance for standard deviation :P
Reply 12
0201Bean
I'm doing FP1 aswell, but isn't that like late June? :L

Lol, good luck with that, i've been at this since Monday, and still can't get the hang of some of the stuff :frown:

I'm on OCR MEI for my FP1 :smile: . Best of luck!
Reply 13
haha seriously anyone who doesnt like/cant do stats, should invest in one of the big calculators, they do the majority of the work for you :wink:
ahh stats, can't wait :wink:
Reply 15
Calculator!!!!!!
Reply 16
nada1
Calculator!!!!!!

Whats so great about having a calculator?
Reply 17
Kash:)
Whats so great about having a calculator?

:O!!!
it calculates the line of regression (providing you enter x and y values)
calculates PMCC
it does the binomial distribution and the normal distribution.
its a godsend! it saves so much time! but like someone said, if you enter a wrong number in by mistake and dont realise it, youre pretty screwed.
but just write down the method and you'll get some method marks!
Reply 18
nada1
Calculator!!!!!!

Yeah, i have the scientific natural display calculator...didn't know we could use more advanced ones tbh "/ :frown:
Reply 19
catrin2020
ahh stats, can't wait :wink:

seriously?
You're confident about it? Lucky you :L

Latest