Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To Americans!

Will the city government be crucified by Bush's impartial investigation, or will both sides pull back from blaming each other and hope to walk away standing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    To Americans!

Will the city government be crucified by Bush's impartial investigation, or will both sides pull back from blaming each other and hope to walk away standing?
    The federal government is far less obligated to fix the situation than the local authorities are. The local gov't will be roasted on a spit.

ReputationRep:
    To Americans!

Dunno, both sides love to critize each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Dunno, both sides love to critize each other.
    Remember, the city government of New Orleans is known for being one of the most corrupt city governments in the country.

ReputationRep:
    I wondered if there'd be 'outreach' and conciliation between the two, a mutual agreement not to bash each other too heavily.

If Bush's investigation does heap on the City gov, they'll retaliate and will probably pull in the CBCaucus, Democrats, the Jesse Jacksons - open smear warfare.

Although I do feel the City and State should bear most responsibility, the Federales can't escape legit crit.

A whitewash a la Hutton may be to everybody's benefit. (?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Stick to the words that on the screen, before you go on a sarcastic rampage. :rolleyes:
    Me sarcastic? never!...

ReputationRep:
    I wondered if there'd be 'outreach' and conciliation between the two, a mutual agreement not to bash each other too heavily.

If Bush's investigation does heap on the City gov, they'll retaliate and will probably pull in the CBCaucus, Democrats, the Jesse Jacksons - open smear warfare.

Although I do feel the City and State should bear most responsibility, the Federales can't escape legit crit.

A whitewash a la Hutton may be to everybody's benefit. (?)
    Well, the problem is that it's inevitable that the local government will look worse than the federal, because they have a much smaller sphere that they are responsible for. That said, I don't think the wording of the investigation will be highly recriminatory, but it will find the local government negligent, as it was being complained that they weren't doing enough to inform the locals before the hurricane made landfall.

ReputationRep:
    Remember, the city government of New Orleans is known for being one of the most corrupt city governments in the country.
    And Bush started a bogus war.

See? :p:

ReputationRep:

That depends upon opinion, whereas it is widely held by a variety of politically-minded people that the government of New Orleans has a history of corruption.

ReputationRep:
    Its also widely held by a variety of politically-minded people that the supposed WMD's never actually existed

ReputationRep:
    I suspect when (perhaps) several thousands have died, 'the people' won't be satisfied with any minor 'recriminations' unless there's a united front of City, State and Fed govts, and -crucially- media, all telling the same story.

Either folks, guilty or scapegoat, will be hung drawn and quartered, or else absolutely nobody is to blame (although lessons have been learned blah blah).

Politics being a dirty business, I've no doubt all considerations except simply telling the truth were considered.

ReputationRep:
    That depends upon opinion, whereas it is widely held by a variety of politically-minded people that the government of New Orleans has a history of corruption.
    And since when have "polically-minded" people be used as a source?

ReputationRep:
    Its also widely held by a variety of politically-minded people that the supposed WMD's never actually existed
    :rolleyes: I hate it when people are contradictory just for the sake of being difficult.

ReputationRep:

But he was just doing God's bidding. *War is God's way of teaching Americans geography*

*to be taken light-heartedly :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think that we're living in a country that's going through one of its worst relative points in history -- with corruption, "morals", etc. We're showing classic signs of decline (overseas unnecessary wars, decline of currency, increase of censorship). I think that the disaster in New Orleans is really showing the state of America. The truth of the matter is that we're extremely weak - we've got all the troops we can reasonably fit in Iraq and we need more.

If some of the National Guard were still in America. . . maybe they could have came and helped out in Lousiana? I thought the National Guard was supposed to guard the Nation. . .

I'm sorry if I seem a little emotional/compassionate about what's happened. So far, it's affected me quite a bit. My biological grandmother (adopted aunt - don't ask - she's 51), my great grandparents (adopted grandparents), and my aunt are going down in six hours to pick up some of their belongings. My cousins are going to come and stay with us for 3~6 months and go to school with me. So, just tell me respectively if I missed any of my facts .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Yep...blame the mayor....the same guy who called for a total evacuation of the city now gets blamed for not doing enough because there were some school buses available to him
    He didn't just leave some school busses sitting there. 2000 busses were parked that could have been used to evacuate people

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I hate it when people are contradictory just for the sake of being difficult.
    Sorry? I fail to see any contradiction. Both Bush and Nagin have their faults, but the important thing to do is to get everyone out first (Nagin has just authorized the use of force to get people out) and play the blame game later (which will inevitably go on for years)

ReputationRep:
    Acknowledge my presence, damn you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    And since when have "polically-minded" people be used as a source?
    Get it right, I said that a "variety of politically-minded people," meaning that it isn't based on your political persuasion, unless you are of a political persuasion which condones bribing government officials and embezzling. If you would like some sources, how about I just limit myself to 5 articles:

http://news.usti.net/home/news/cn/?/....Rhju_Fa3.html
    (Original post by New Charges in New Orleans Corruption Case)
    Six more people were charged in New Orleans in an alleged scheme to skim money from an $81 million energy-saving contract under former Mayor Marc Morial.
    http://www.canadafreepress.com/2005/cover090605.htm
    (Original post by Canada Free Press)
    Rampant public corruption was doing big business in New Orleans long before Hurricane Katrina ever hit What then Congressman, now Senator David Vitter calls "corrupt, good old boy" practices were apparent in the New Orleans Levee Board just one year before the collapse of regional levees, emergency communications and government services brought the Big Easy to the brink of anarchy. In fact, Senator David Vitter requested a federal investigation into improper practices of a number of public utilities, including the New Orleans Levee Board, and a new Task Force was to have been initiated in the Baton Rouge office, beginning in July 2004.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05247/565370.stm
    (Original post by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
    "New Orleans' [government] is famously inefficient and corrupt, so that adds to the challenge," said [Joel] Kotkin, [author of The City: A Global History]."
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1474970/posts
    (Original post by Free Republic)
    But the many virtues of New Orleans are offset in part by serious flaws. The flowering of the human spirit in the realm of cultural creativity is counterbalanced by a tradition of corruption, public incompetence, and moral decay. It is no secret that New Orleans and the Great State of Louisiana have a sorry track record when it comes to political corruption. And corruption tolerated in one sphere tends to metastasize and infect other aspects of life. They don’t call it “The Big Easy” because it is simple to start a business, and easy to run one there.
    http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o.../07edbarr.html
    (Original post by Atlanta Journal Constitution)
    Perhaps no response to the flooding speaks so eloquently, or painfully, of New Orleans' problem than the remarks by its police department leadership that its officers — overworked and "traumatized" by the ordeal of the previous week — deserved a weeklong Las Vegas vacation. The N.O.P.D. is possessed of a long-standing and apparently well-deserved reputation for corruption and incompetence. Yet in this latest crisis, it seems to have outdone itself.

Not only did many police officers not show up for work during the flood, but some reportedly even joined in the looting that rocked the city. The response of the department's leadership? To whine and complain that others (read "Washington") were not doing enough to save the city its officers were sworn to protect. Such an attitude should scare the dickens out of those contemplating a return to the city following its dry-out. It telegraphs that it will be business as usual in the city.

Just came across this, which I found interesting:
    Many people believe that Washington, D.C., is the “murder capital of America.” And indeed it often is, but that is only because such rankings are limited to “major cities” –those with a population of 500,000 or more, and New Orleans has (or had) a population of 485,000. Were it not for this actuarial accident, Washington, D.C.. wouldn’t even have a shot at the murder title. The per capita murder rate in New Orleans is 16% higher than in “Murder Capital” Washington, D.C.; and nearly 10 times the national average. To have a murder rate equal to that of New York City, New Orleans would need to reduce its murders by 86%. No, that’s not a typo.

ReputationRep:
    Get it right, I said that a "variety of politically-minded people," meaning that it isn't based on your political persuasion, unless you are of a political persuasion which condones bribing government officials and embezzling. If you would like some sources, how about I just limit myself to 5 articles:

http://news.usti.net/home/news/cn/?/....Rhju_Fa3.html

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2005/cover090605.htm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05247/565370.stm

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1474970/posts

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o.../07edbarr.html

Just came across this, which I found interesting:
    tahnk you

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.