The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
Are you suggesting that 100% of the people will get that disease and that the fatality rate for that disease is 100%?

The chaos in the south of Mexico is man-made and is not going to go away for the foreseeable future. The same can't be said about the New Oreleans situation.

Alot of those may die from dysentry, but you're right its never going to be anywhere near 80,000. A few hundred is a more likely figure. poss more - most of them very elderly.

Has anyone noticed that when it is shown on TV the devistation, coupled with the fact New Orleans seems a predominantly black city (either that or its only the black guys who stayed put in the path of a bloody huricane despite warnings to evacuate) means it actually does look like a disaster struck african country...

I think the criticising of the US govt is totally unfair. ITs a natural disaster. the warning they got left them no time to prepare much mroe than they did.

Iraq won't have helped certainly - troops and reserves they could have called upon are out there.
but i don't think it'd make that much difference.
Reply 21
Douglas
The flood waters are a problem for many people, they're trapped.

My guess is, that noone will die of dysentry, as we speak, hundreds of thousands bottles of water are being flown in, I'm sure helicopters will distribute it to the trapped people.

My grandma (who is from there) thinks that a lot of people will die of carbon dioxide poisoning from being in their attics because the water has reached them and there is no air circulation.
Douglas
Yes, it *is* worrying. There's talk now about gun shops been broken into.....God knows what may happen. Have you seen the movie "escape from New York?

TV showed pics of mass looting - some for food and water whci is fair enough - but others for everything they could steal.
Douglas

My guess is, that noone will die of dysentry, as we speak, hundreds of thousands bottles of water are being flown in, I'm sure helicopters will distribute it to the trapped people.

They also have a huge supply of alcohol in their midst, so that should tide them over until they have access to clean water.
spikdboy
My grandma (who is from there) thinks that a lot of people will die of carbon dioxide poisoning from being in their attics because the water has reached them and there is no air circulation.

nah, theres plenty of air circulation in attics. plus they can easily punch through the roof.
Douglas

no there will be alot of deaths from water bourne disease. Trust a medic on that. Most of these will be very elderly people many of whom will have no one looking out for them.
Rescue an hardly go door to door. they are looking at all places yeh, but it could take days to reach some people.
Jamie
Has anyone noticed that when it is shown on TV the devistation, coupled with the fact New Orleans seems a predominantly black city (either that or its only the black guys who stayed put in the path of a bloody huricane despite warnings to evacuate) means it actually does look like a disaster struck african country...

They're mostly black, b/c the areas of lowest elevation are home to the poorer communities, which are predominantly black. The poor people didn't really have anywhere to go, since they can't exactly afford a hotel room somewhere, and apparently all of the hotels in the region had been filled with people evacuating, anyway. Then, you also had a lot of elderly people who were stubborn and refused to leave.
Reply 27
Jamie
nah, theres plenty of air circulation in attics. plus they can easily punch through the roof.

They need an axe to punch through the roof and if there is water to the floor in the attic I don't see how there is air flow.
spikdboy
They need an axe to punch through the roof and if there is water to the floor in the attic I don't see how there is air flow.

A roof isn't sealed to the house by a vacuum. There is air flow.
Reply 29
psychic_satori
A roof isn't sealed to the house by a vacuum. There is air flow.

Is it directly with the roof? I've been in attics before and I have a hard time breathing, and that's with the floor door wide open. Well, if they don't die of lack of oxygen/carbon dioxide poisoning, they'll die of dehydration.
spikdboy
Is it directly with the roof? I've been in attics before and I have a hard time breathing, and that's with the floor door wide open. Well, if they don't die of lack of oxygen/carbon dioxide poisoning, they'll die of dehydration.

You had a difficult time breathing because the air in an attic is warmer, because it's the highest point in the house, and there isn't really much of a breeze. But, most roofing is constructed so that the over-hang that extends past the actual structure of the building is only sealed off by plastic or metal grated sheets, which basically just act to keep foreign objects and creatures from coming up underneath the overhang into the attic. [Edit: Think of a vented umbrella]

Southern homes have less insulation, even, so there should be even better airflow than you would find in northern homes. Also, the high waters will make the air in attics cooler than normal. I would be more worried about what the temperature gets to be than anything, because the abundance of water could create a steam room effect, which would increase rate that the body dehydrates.
spikdboy

unlessyou have ultra attics you can probablary literally punch or wallop sometihng right through the roof. a roof is usually only a bit of felt with tiles on - perhaps with some flimsy wood (dunno how amerricans make houses but they are invariably less sturdy than ours....)
Reply 32
SolInvincitus

My question is simple, how did this happen in the US? How did the world's most powerful and wealthiest nation do nothing to prevent this disaster? Why isn't anything happening to save lives?

LOL!

:rofl:
Jamie
unlessyou have ultra attics you can probablary literally punch or wallop sometihng right through the roof. a roof is usually only a bit of felt with tiles on - perhaps with some flimsy wood (dunno how amerricans make houses but they are invariably less sturdy than ours....)

Um, I'd question your last statement after hearing what you think roofs are made of! Most houses use roof trusses, which are then topped with 1" thick plywood. Goodness! Remind me not to have the British build me a house!
Reply 34
psychic_satori
Um, I'd question your last statement after hearing what you think roofs are made of! Most houses use roof trusses, which are then topped with 1" thick plywood. Goodness! Remind me not to have the British build me a house!

Lmao - yeah . . I imagine it would be harder to punch through the roof than through the wall, and last time I punched through a wall, I broke two fingers. (Don't get me angry - im the hulk :P)
spikdboy
Lmao - yeah . . I imagine it would be harder to punch through the roof than through the wall, and last time I punched through a wall, I broke two fingers. (Don't get me angry - im the hulk :P)

As the resident expert in breaking boards, I can safely say that the only people who could punch through 1" of plywood are people with a syrinx or some sort of peripheral neuropathy that keeps them from feeling any pain. Since plywood is layered, it's much harder to break than a regular piece of wood.
Reply 36
psychic_satori
As the resident expert in breaking boards, I can safely say that the only people who could punch through 1" of plywood are people with a syrinx or some sort of peripheral neuropathy that keeps them from feeling any pain. Since plywood is layered, it's much harder to break than a regular piece of wood.

My walls are thin.
spikdboy
My walls are thin.

Walls are made of drywall, typically. Not remotely the same thing as breaking a board, or plywood.
I feel that the people didn't take this quite seriously- esp as such severe storms don't hit US often... and that is where they erred. They should have treated this just like a tornado warning- should have got the hell out of there, asap.
Reply 39
psychic_satori
Walls are made of drywall, typically. Not remotely the same thing as breaking a board, or plywood.

Well, it still hurt damnit.

Latest

Trending

Trending