The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
psychic_satori
So, then explain to me how one of my friends, whose parents are from mainland China and speak Mandarin, is here today? How did her parents magically get here if it's impossible for anyone from the mainland to immigrate? Is this a grand illusion?
Ask him where he is from-
He probably can speak both, but Im guessing hes from the south. Almost everyone I have met (and since I just got back I ask) is from the very south- KMT territory of China.
Kondar
Ask him where he is from-He probably can speak both, but Im guessing hes from the south. Almost everyone I have met (and since I just got back I ask) is from the very south- KMT territory of China.

She's from America...her parents are the ones from China. She's a thoroughly American girl. Her parents, on the other hand, are from Guangzhou, and, I didn't ask, but as far as I'm aware they only speak Mandarin, because that's the one language that she knows bits and pieces of. She tried to help one of the international students who was having a problem, but she said she couldn't help him because she didn't know any Cantonese.
Reply 502
Bismarck
A high school degree? What nonsense. And fyi, blacks were allowed to get a college degree; they just had to do so in a black college. And this ended 40 years ago, not 30.
Hmmm, bussing minorities into white neighborhoods was under Nixons watch.. 1972. That would be.. carry the one... 32 years ago, not 40.
Nonsense. A vast majority of Chinese immigrants are from Fuzhou and Guangzhou. The amount of immigrants from Hong Kong and Taiwan has slowed down to a trickle.
BS- then why do almost 90% of Chinese citizens in the US speak Cantonese as opposed to Mandarin.
If she had a college degree, she'd make enough money from one job to support her family.
So if one doenst have a college degree one is stupid? Is it her fault that her husband ran out on her?
Stupid (and probably too lazy to use a condom). You shouldn't have 6 kids unless you're certain you can support them.
Actually, jackass, his wife died and now he takes care of all the kids himself.

You know, I really dont have time to respond to such stupid statements Bismark. And here I thought you were an intelligent guy...
Reply 503
psychic_satori
She's from America...her parents are the ones from China. She's a thoroughly American girl. Her parents, on the other hand, are from Guangzhou, and, I didn't ask, but as far as I'm aware they only speak Mandarin, because that's the one language that she knows bits and pieces of. She tried to help one of the international students who was having a problem, but she said she couldn't help him because she didn't know any Cantonese.
I dont buy that. Thats basically part of Hong Kong. Again... the SOUTH.
Reply 504
Kondar
again, does this apply only to the united states? Or are all of the 2 billion + chinese people living in absolute poverty lazy idiots?

Kondar, when people are poor, they don't really know they're poor, they think they're average and most are happy. The problems start when someone comes around telling them they're poor.
Kondar
Actually, jackass, his wife died and now he takes care of all the kids himself.

Then he gets a social security check for each of his kids that are under the age of 18.
Kondar
I dont buy that. Thats basically part of Hong Kong. Again... the SOUTH.

Fine, I'll tell her that she's a liar because you said so. :rolleyes:
Reply 507
Kondar
Well, it just so happens that I have worked very hard to get two of my friends from China to visit me in the states. Despite obtaining passports, saving up a decent sum of money, etc.. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO LEAVE. So take your little theories and ..............
That's unfortunate Kondar. I thought China was loosening up, what was the problem?

BTW, I assume yer back in the States........No??
Kondar
Hmmm, bussing minorities into white neighborhoods was under Nixons watch.. 1972. That would be.. carry the one... 32 years ago, not 40.

I don't see your point. Are you saying that blacks couldn't go to high school or college until 1972?

BS- then why do almost 90% of Chinese citizens in the US speak Cantonese as opposed to Mandarin.

Are you going to back up those ridiculous numbers?

How about I'll start?

In more recent years, the number of mainland, Mandarin-speaking Chinese immigrants has surged. In 2002, 61,000 people arrived from mainland China ¡ª about 10 times the number of those from Hong Kong, and six times the number of Taiwanese, according to federal statistics.

Source

Frankly you don't know what you're talking about. I worked for half a year for a professor specializing in Chinese immigration to the US, and he made it clear that the vast majority of Chinese immigrants are from Guanzhou and Fuzhou, with most of the latter immigrants being illegals who pay snakeheads ~$60k to bring them to the US (the money is usually paid by their relatives who live in the US). Immigration happens mostly due to economic circumstances, and ever since Taiwan and Hong Kong became relatively prosperous, there was little reason for people from those places to emigrate. The same can't be said of people from mainland China.

So if one doenst have a college degree one is stupid? Is it her fault that her husband ran out on her?Actually, jackass, his wife died and now he takes care of all the kids himself.

It's her fault that she didn't get a college degree.

You know, I really dont have time to respond to such stupid statements Bismark. And here I thought you were an intelligent guy...

Instead of insults, try providing facts. Almost everything you have said about China has been proven to be false. You think staying in China for a year makes you an expert on everything Chinese?

P.S. You remind me of the commercial where a guy thinks that he receives French benefits, that there is a falling tower of Pizza, and that Fed Ex is expensive.
Reply 509
Kondar
Does that mean all rich people are smart and hard working?

Not particuarly. It means if you're not lazy and stupid you're unlikely to be poor.
Reply 510
spikdboy
As an unnamed somebody commented in a positive rep to me, you sound like a White House PR Lackey.

With any luck the White House will come knocking on my door!
Reply 511
Bismarck
You shouldn't have 6 kids unless you're certain you can support them.

Yep, I agree. Id have to rephrase lazy as 'lacking in personal responsibility'.
Reply 512
psychic_satori
Fine, I'll tell her that she's a liar because you said so. :rolleyes:
Instead, ask her how in the hell she picked up Mandarin in Guangzhou, which is the birth place of Cantonese- just a couple hours from Hong Kong, heck, the city was named CANTON for hundreds of years- the name Cantonese comes from this town where your friends is from.......??????????

Someone is a little off.

"Cantonese is spoken by about 100 million people in the southern provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi and in neighboring areas such as Hong Kong and Macau, as well as throughout South-East Asia in such places as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. Due to the migration of Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong and the Guangdong area, Cantonese is the dominant form of Chinese spoken in the Chinatowns of many major cities in the United States, Canada, Australia and elsewhere.

The word Cantonese comes from Canton, the former English name of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong, which was once considered the home of the purest form of Cantonese.

Although Mandarin (or putonghua) is the standard and official language in mainland China, it has been around for only about 700 or 800 years, compared to the 2000-year history of Cantonese. Cantonese has been the dominant language in overseas Chinese communities. This comes from the fact that, around the world, the first and largest flow of Chinese immigrants originates from Hong Kong."
Kondar
"Cantonese is spoken by about 100 million people in the southern provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi and in neighboring areas such as Hong Kong and Macau, as well as throughout South-East Asia in such places as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. Due to the migration of Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong and the Guangdong area, Cantonese is the dominant form of Chinese spoken in the Chinatowns of many major cities in the United States, Canada, Australia and elsewhere.

The word Cantonese comes from Canton, the former English name of Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong, which was once considered the home of the purest form of Cantonese.

Although Mandarin (or putonghua) is the standard and official language in mainland China, it has been around for only about 700 or 800 years, compared to the 2000-year history of Cantonese. Cantonese has been the dominant language in overseas Chinese communities. This comes from the fact that, around the world, the first and largest flow of Chinese immigrants originates from Hong Kong."

What is the source and the date this was written? This was true 20 years ago, it's not true today.
Kondar
Instead, ask her how in the hell she picked up Mandarin in Guangzhou, which is the birth place of Cantonese- just a couple hours from Hong Kong, heck, the city was named CANTON for hundreds of years- the name Cantonese comes from this town where your friends is from.......??????????

Someone is a little off.

Because her parents weren't originally from Guangzhou by birth, but moved there for work, and to save money to move to America. And quit making it seem like she's from China, b/c she's not. And, I don't really care if you think it's "off" that she knows some Mandarin, because I think she's a bit more appraised of her own knowledge and background than you are. :rolleyes:
Bismarck
What is the source and the date this was written? This was true 20 years ago, it's not true today.

I'm not sure about the date, but I think Kondar pasted it from here:

http://www.oclc.org/languagesets/educational/languages/asia.htm

Third paragraph down. Not sure about the date it was published though
Vienna
Not particuarly. It means if you're not lazy and stupid you're unlikely to be poor.

course not :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending