This application is taking over my life....

Watch
This discussion is closed.
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I now spend my life waiting for news from colleges. I was nervous enough on new year's eve. Now I know they like me, but not enough to give me an offer straight away, I'm just confused.

So I'm planning gap years and all sorts and thinking of reapplying (I would have thought this the craziest thing in the world a few weeks ago) and hoping a college will ring...

Cambridge, you've got a lot to answer for!
Tnacilppa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by paymaster)
I now spend my life waiting for news from colleges. I was nervous enough on new year's eve. Now I know they like me, but not enough to give me an offer straight away, I'm just confused.

So I'm planning gap years and all sorts and thinking of reapplying (I would have thought this the craziest thing in the world a few weeks ago) and hoping a college will ring...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. My psychiatrist's bill is going to be huge!
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I kinda know how you feel.....

Well I have been waiting for an initial answer for bloody ages - my college is going to make their decision this week......I have managed to curb some of the anxiety by planning my year ahead if I am rejected........I think I'll re apply if I dont get in ......considering that I am a full payer, Id rather go somewhere I really want to be if I am spending more money than I may ever save again in my life!

Hope you get a call from a college with good news
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
I find it a little problematic that candidates are already being 'rescued' from the pool, and we're still bloody waiting for an initial answer. I have the 'sinking' feeling that our answers are going to be either a 'yay' or 'nay' and nothing in between.

(Original post by Mentally Ill)

Well I have been waiting for an initial answer for bloody ages - my college is going to make their decision this week......I have managed to curb some of the anxiety by planning my year ahead if I am rejected........I think I'll re apply if I dont get in ......considering that I am a full payer, Id rather go somewhere I really want to be if I am spending more money than I may ever save again in my life!

Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
BTW, what college are you applying for and for what subject???

gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I feel really sorry for all you guys who still don't know anything...it must be terrible to be left hanging like this...i hope things work out....sooner rather than later for your sanity's sake!

G
caius
Report 16 years ago
people you need to listen to yourselves and put things in perspective.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caius)
Maybe you are right - but this means a lot to a lot of people. Of course it isn't life or death but there is bound to be initial disappointment. Also when the phone goes my heart skips a beat - nothing I can control! I just want to know - the waiting is **** to be honest so I can understand how other people feel too.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caius)
You may be right but when you are in that situation then it is very difficult to do that. To a lot of people it does mean a lot though.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caius)
How rare: some sense.
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
How rare: some sense.
Hey Tek!! had an offer today from my original college! (that means me, by the way, in case u didn't understand)
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicman)
Hey Tek!! had an offer today from my original college! (that means me, by the way, in case u didn't understand)

Well done, what college, what subject?
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicman)
Gosh, were yuo pooled?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Canada Girl)
I find it a little problematic that candidates are already being 'rescued' from the pool, and we're still bloody waiting for an initial answer. I have the 'sinking' feeling that our answers are going to be either a 'yay' or 'nay' and nothing in between.
Yes, i think there would be little chance of an applicant to a grad college being pooled. I beleive with mature applications to grad colleges, because of the small number, no offers are made (unless the candidate is OUTSTANDING) until the colleges have looked in the pool. For example, a mature applicant to Trinity may be cambridge material, but the college may think they will be better off suited to a mature college, so puts them in the pool. Then Wolfson perhaps sees this dude in the pool and feels they are stronger than their direct applicants, and decides to offer them a/the place. Well that is my theory anyway. So, if my theory is correct, then I am not outstanding

Also, thinking back to those music dudes who notified but left hanging, they seemed to think music was under subscribed, so I feel my theory would apply to their situation. In fact, any college/subject who is under subscribed. Anyway, I'm probably wrong as I have not studied in admissions process in as much depth as other on here!

I have appied to wolfson for arch and anth.
Lucy001
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Maybe you are right - but this means a lot to a lot of people. Of course it isn't life or death but there is bound to be initial disappointment. Also when the phone goes my heart skips a beat - nothing I can control! I just want to know - the waiting is **** to be honest so I can understand how other people feel too.

exactly the same!!! every time the phone rings!! i know it's not a big deal compaired to things other ppl have to face, but... uncontrollable!!
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i know EXACTLY how u feel!
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
You're a mature student? How old? But I'm a little confused. Doesn't Cambridge have a co-ed or all-male college specifically designated for mature students? I know Lucy Cavendish is designed for women over 21. Isn't Wolfson the same? Good luck Mentally Ill. Is this your first degree?

Yes, i think there would be little chance of an applicant to a grad college being pooled. I beleive with mature applications to grad colleges, because of the small number, no offers are made (unless the candidate is OUTSTANDING) until the colleges have looked in the pool. For example, a mature applicant to Trinity may be cambridge material, but the college may think they will be better off suited to a mature college, so puts them in the pool. Then Wolfson perhaps sees this dude in the pool and feels they are stronger than their direct applicants, and decides to offer them a/the place. Well that is my theory anyway. So, if my theory is correct, then I am not outstanding

Also, thinking back to those music dudes who notified but left hanging, they seemed to think music was under subscribed, so I feel my theory would apply to their situation. In fact, any college/subject who is under subscribed. Anyway, I'm probably wrong as I have not studied in admissions process in as much depth as other on here!

Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
Okay, I just checked out Wolfson. Maybe there is a pattern that both you and I have not heard back yet. For me, there would be no point placing me in the pool cause I am applying as an affiliated. For you, you're applying as a mature stduent. We're both in 'unconventional' categories. I don't think it has anything to do with you being outstanding as a student or not. I believe any student that has made it past the preliminary application selection process has a great shot at getting in. I think our colleges may be taking more time with the applications because there is more to read on us than just our schooling!

Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Canada Girl)
Okay, I just checked out Wolfson. Maybe there is a pattern that both you and I have not heard back yet. For me, there would be no point placing me in the pool cause I am applying as an affiliated. For you, you're applying as a mature stduent. We're both in 'unconventional' categories. I don't think it has anything to do with you being outstanding as a student or not. I believe any student that has made it past the preliminary application selection process has a great shot at getting in. I think our colleges may be taking more time with the applications because there is more to read on us than just our schooling!
what university are u at right now and what do u study?
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
BA in women's studies
Msc candidate

what're you applying for? have you heard your results yet?

(Original post by Tina)
what university are u at right now and what do u study?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (90)
21.95%
No (320)
78.05%

Watched Threads