I want to start smoking :(

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Anon, as I know people that use this, and it is not something I am particularly proud of!

As the title says - over the past couple of days I seem to have this bizarre craving to go to the local gas station and buy some cigarettes and a lighter - and take up what I know to be a filthy and unhealthy habit.

I suppose I am under a fair bit of stress due to exams, family, and all the usual crap. And I always seem to be pi**ed off for no good reason these days. Who knows.

Is it really that bad to smoke a cigarette every now and then? I know the risks and what it does to you - trust me. All I want is a way to relax and calm the hell down.

And no, I will not get addicted and end up on 20 a day. Like I said, I know the risks and the last thing I want is to end up with cancer.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Take up a relaxing hobby instead.

Thank me in 20 years when you're still alive.
swirledpeacat1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Yes you will get addicted, and I'm saying that as someone who took up smoking during exams as stress relief, and now don't go a day without one.

If you want to relax try exercise or something. If you do take up smoking (which is your choice) then don't expect to not find it addictive.
hannah_dru
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I get that sometimes when I get stressed but I've never done it. Can you find other ways to take out your stress on something or get rid of it?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Just do it if you want to. Everyone by now knows the risks.
flugelr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anon, as I know people that use this, and it is not something I am particularly proud of!

As the title says - over the past couple of days I seem to have this bizarre craving to go to the local gas station and buy some cigarettes and a lighter - and take up what I know to be a filthy and unhealthy habit.

I suppose I am under a fair bit of stress due to exams, family, and all the usual crap. And I always seem to be pi**ed off for no good reason these days. Who knows.

Is it really that bad to smoke a cigarette every now and then? I know the risks and what it does to you - trust me. All I want is a way to relax and calm the hell down.

And no, I will not get addicted and end up on 20 a day. Like I said, I know the risks and the last thing I want is to end up with cancer.
I've just quit. Trust me, don't start. It just isn't worth it.
Brince
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I smoke and it is addicitive, If you wanna start its your life, your choice. Just be sure that as a starter you will spend £5-7 on cigs a week. Which builds up more.
jimcatinnes
Rep:
Report 12 years ago

Ha, you wont get addicted ay? I might try heroin and say the same thing, didn't realise if i said that it doesn't become addictive.

On a serious more helpful note, you will become addicted, I can't say you will get cancer but you would drastically increase your risk of developing it, they say that 1 in 3 will get it, think of it like this, if you have 2 really good friends who don't smoke, who is the one out of the 3 who is more likely to get it.

Don't do it, there are so many more healthier ways to relieve stress, this is the classic psychological 'vicious cycle': you have a low mood, you initiate the addictive behaviour, this causes financial/social distress(would your parents be too happy?) which leads to low mood which leads to you continuing on the addictive behaviour!! Also you build up tolerance to the nicotine, so at first yeah one might calm you down, then it might be two and so on and so on.

Please don't do it there are so many more better ways to relax!!!
Crazy Paving
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Try ******* more. This should help relieve stress and is healthier.
zjs
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Do it. Then everyone will think you're cool as well.
Ilovewords
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Don't smoke. I smoke. It's smelly. Guys hate it.
tsrstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago

It all starts with one 'every now and then' but it wont end with that. If you intend on smoking to relax and your under pressure, tbh when will you stop? when the stress is gone, because soon enough you'll be under more stress, and the smoking will continue to ease that stress.

If you know the risks, and don't want cancer, then why start in the first place? You may think you won't get addicted, but theres always a good chance you will, like many others (me included).

If you want to smoke, there's no stopping you, but you should try something else to relax. If all else fails, then turn to tabacco for comfort.
Chocothunder
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Why have there recently been so many threads by people suddenly wanting to start smoking, despite knowing the health risks? Have the cigarette companies started a new subliminal tv and radio advertising campaign or something?
schoolstudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'd like to try too. But they don't sell them in vending machines anymore, so I'd have to go into a shop...I wouldn't know what to say
hunagdi
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Smoke a pipe my friend.
'Shadowplay'
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Do some sport, it's healthier and those first few cigarettes will probably do you more harm than good tbh...
The Procrastinator
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
How do you know you wont become addicted?? I thought the same when I first started...now I'm on 20+ a day! I'm making an appointment this week to see someone about quitting.

Smoking is horrible. I'm worried about quitting because I've literally forgotten how I got through situations with them! You've coped so far with stress....so why add more stress to your life?? With smoking there is the stress of - not having enough money to buy **** when you really really want/need one, the constant feeling that you do actualy have cancer...but still can't quit...the list goes on. There is nothing good about smoking. You can feel calm by just taking deep breaths!!

But HEY!...it's your life.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
I've been having the same feeling recently.

I think it's because I'm mega stressed and I have this small little part of my brain (thankfully) where a little 'self-destruct' button resides which seems to make it's existence known more prominantly around the time of any exams/major stress. I'm much too cowardly to do anything which would put my life in immediate danger so smoking/drinking are the most tempting options. Fortunately I don't have the money to spend on either so I've yet to push the button....
warrenpenalver
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
youve got to be pretty stupid if you believe smoking relieves stress!!! smoking sets up its own addiction based cycle of anxiety/stress. it doesnt solve the original problem at all.
RyanHansell
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
You have no reason to say that you need a cigarette? How is it that you crave something that you have never had (at least that's what I get from your initial post). There are many other ways to relieve stress

If any, get Lucky Strike.. everyone knows they're good for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads