IRL: Yes, fair play.

On TSR: No, you utter failure. Kill yourself
this
HotCoco.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Grades that meet your firm conditions are good grades indeed.
Casse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good grades. Your in the top 20% of the country so nothing to really complain about. It'll get you into a decent uni including the Russel Group but probably not the top 10. Ignore the arrogant brats who think anything less than AAA is a failure.
dennisthe3rd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Course it is, anyone who says it isn't is obviously an idiot with thier head in the clouds
freija
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by infernalcradle)
not really as that won't get you into the decent courses at top 10..hell even top 20 unis
Define 'decent', and 'top 10' or 'top 20' without any personal bias.

OP - ABB are, to my mind, absolutely fine, especially from a less-academic school or college and in the 'traditional' subjects. Purely from my own perspective, Exeter would be happy to take me for English with those grades, so they must think that they're decent!

To be honest, I think the real difference between ABB, AAB and AAA offers is often less to do with the quality of the course, and more to do with its competitiveness (by this, I mean, a uni can run a brilliant department for years, but if demand for places is low, so will offers be more lenient. If the popularity of the course suddenly skyrockets, however, then the required grades are likely to rise sharply too).

But yes - as others have said, the very best way to judge whether your grades are 'good' is to consider, realistically, what you could achieve - have you done yourself justice? - and to think about what you actually want to do with them.
amani-puresapphire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP asking people on tsr may not be the best thing Some are going to give you opinions based on their personal views. I suggest you look at courses at whichever uni you want to go into. Look at the requirements then if your grades are good enough, you're heading in the right direction :thumbsup:
inkandhearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am only doing 2 A2 levels, and one AS retake. this is due to several exuding personal circumstances, and personally i will be happy as long as BCU accept me to do my media and communications course (which by the way is NOT a "mickey mouse" subject. the only things that are mickey mouse subjects are things you learn at disneyland) I think ABB are excellent grades, and I get really annoyed reading about all the stuck up people who think that unless you get 5 A*s and go to a howardgroup uni OMG you're going to FAIL at life!!!! ***EDIT*** sorry Russel group. shows how much i care about that!?!
Seriously, I've had to move in and out of my home three times, my mum has been seriously ill for the past 3 years so I've been looking after her and my younger brother, then she went into hospital in January and is still there. My brother went into foster care and I now live in our flat on my own. Which is an hours bus journey away from my sixth form. The bus fare is £61.50 a month. I don't have a job as Im too stressed/busy/tired and can't find one that will take someone with no experience. Sometimes I can't have lunch. So for me, BB and a C at AS will be a massive achievement. Stick that in your pipes!
:haughty:

p.s this is only the short version of my exuding circumstances, dont get me started...
blondesemolina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are grades you should definitely be proud of, I've seen offers from UCL, LSE, Warwick & Durham on ABB, they're more than enough to get you into many great Unis.
never_ending
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've always been disappointed by my ABB. I got AAAA for AS and then overall got an A in English Lit, B in History (7 marks off) and a B in Latin (12 marks off). Was really surprised and it really knocked my confidence. Got into Warwick for History though, and just did the last exam of my degree today! :woo:

I'm doing a gap year now but am wondering whether or not to take two more A levels next year to get As as I want to be a solicitor (and I need to be sponsored)? What do you guys think?
inkandhearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
never_ending - just to clarify, I wasn't having a go at people who genuinely need higher grades for the professions they want to go into, just those who seem to look down on people with lower grades, or the ones who get into a massive "woe is me" scenario if they get a mark off an A.

And as you all may be able to see, I can speak eloquently and put my ideas across in a coherent manner, even though I'm not "clever enough" to have had 13 As at GCSE (3 As, 2 Bs a C and 2 Ds in case you're interested) and 4 whole A levels come August...
justDannyboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
You're joking right?
See you at warwick bro..

Chem 2010 here aswell.
A Manc In Brighton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not really as that won't get you into the decent courses at top 10..hell even top 20 unis
moron, i got AAB in my A levels, but UCL, Edinburgh and Durham gave me an offer of ABB. (to do PPE btw).
Sanjetti
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by inkandhearts)
I am only doing 2 A2 levels, and one AS retake. this is due to several exuding personal circumstances, and personally i will be happy as long as BCU accept me to do my media and communications course (which by the way is NOT a "mickey mouse" subject. the only things that are mickey mouse subjects are things you learn at disneyland) I think ABB are excellent grades, and I get really annoyed reading about all the stuck up people who think that unless you get 5 A*s and go to a howardgroup uni OMG you're going to FAIL at life!!!! ***EDIT*** sorry Russel group. shows how much i care about that!?!
Seriously, I've had to move in and out of my home three times, my mum has been seriously ill for the past 3 years so I've been looking after her and my younger brother, then she went into hospital in January and is still there. My brother went into foster care and I now live in our flat on my own. Which is an hours bus journey away from my sixth form. The bus fare is £61.50 a month. I don't have a job as Im too stressed/busy/tired and can't find one that will take someone with no experience. Sometimes I can't have lunch. So for me, BB and a C at AS will be a massive achievement. Stick that in your pipes!
:haughty:

p.s this is only the short version of my exuding circumstances, dont get me started...
lmao, or even better- a Russel Howard group :p: I'd definitely want to be a part of that :yep:
skellious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hell yes, I got CDD and got into uni (I suspect mainly on the strength of my GCSEs being all A's and B's, along with my ability to write a damn-good letter). It's not so much a question of what you get at A level that matters, it's what you CAN achieve and all good unis and employers recognise this. Don't think people who get high grades are "better" than you, they are just better at the current exam system; most of history's geniuses failed in school, partially because they had an inbuilt rejection of current methods, which in later life they often replaced with better ways of doing things. As Dara O'Brien says, when you walk into an office on the first day of your new job and proudly announce "I have a first in Network topography and financial auditing", the reply will be "good for you! Now, go make the tea."

Success should be measured in happiness, not in money gained or grades gained or anything externally accessed. Happiness comes from within, do whatever the hell makes you happy and don't worry about stupid grades. Besides which, as I say, yours are pretty bloody good. Better even than my predicted grades (which I got no where near to achieving).
inkandhearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
lmao, or even better- a Russel Howard group :p: I'd definitely want to be a part of that :yep:
oooh me too!!! *goes off into a daydream* :yep:
wait, it's night time. I think that's a sign I should go to bed! lol :o:
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not really...you are not gonna find medicine, dentistry, law (at top 10) with entry requirements of ABB...they are mostly AAA, with a few AAB...and even the odd A*AA

not that ABB is not good, they are very respectable, but to get onto the aforementioned courses...they are not good enough
well if you did some research you would know that some medical school will give lower offers than AAB.

eg newcastle will give offers of BBB if you studied your Alevels in the north east. there are other schools that do this too.
kashfanpepsi
Report 10 years ago
"ABB" is definitely a good grade Keep up the good job
fareshta jan
Report 10 years ago
yupe! they're good! [atleast you are happy with your grades so thats what matters most]
ibelongtoslytherin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't listen to people who say they arent decent.
They are perfectly good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads