The Student Room Group

Can I give blood if I've smoked cannabis

Scroll to see replies

I should imagine that it'll be well gone from your system by now.
Reply 21
Roxannabelle
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can, just don't give blood until the weed's out of your system.

^This. I've given blood twice and so long as it's completely out of your system then you're fine (however long that takes).
Reply 22
stephenc
He said he smoked it in the past 6 months, pretty sure he's not stoned anymore.

I lol'd

Im pretty sure i read/heard somewhere that it doesnt matter, even if you smoke it every day. I could be wrong, however. Beggars can't be chooser anyway.
Reply 23
Phobia27
I think it is mainly injected drugs that prohibit you from donating blood, alcohol and cigarettes are technically drugs yet I bet loads of people consume those before/after donating.

EDIT: AFTER donating? what difference would THAT make???

You cannot give usable blood while your body contains alcohol in any reasonable concentration. They wouldn't find that out until they tested it though, so be honest with them.

As for cannabis, as long as there is no trace in your blood, there is no problem. cannabis only permanently affects the brain, not the blood.

I would give blood but I'm always on antibiotics it seems...
skellious
EDIT: AFTER donating? what difference would THAT make???

You cannot give usable blood while your body contains alcohol in any reasonable concentration. They wouldn't find that out until they tested it though, so be honest with them.

As for cannabis, as long as there is no trace in your blood, there is no problem. cannabis only permanently affects the brain, not the blood.

I would give blood but I'm always on antibiotics it seems...

Actually consuming alcohol after donating is a really 'bad' idea as you're missing 1/7th of your blood so your blood/alcohol ratio gets higher quicker - essentially you're one glass of wine in and acting like an idiot (trust me, I know).
Phobia27
He wasn't asking if he can give blood whilst being stoned, he was asking whether he is allowed to give blood when he has smoked cannabis in the last 6 months.

ha brilliant, that shut the bitch up
Reply 26
TK2 King Pin
ha brilliant, that shut the bitch up

Who asked you? You massive pussy!
in_vogue
Who asked you? You massive pussy!

just a passing comment pal, doesn't make me a pussy.. ?
Reply 28
TK2 King Pin
just a passing comment pal, doesn't make me a pussy.. ?

I can see it in your eyes.
in_vogue
I can see it in your eyes.

phhhwwwrr yup, cool man
Reply 30
Hi everyone.

I manned up and rang the donor service. The person didn't know but put me through to a medic. You can donate if you've had cannabis, as long as your not under the influence at time of donation. So just leave it for around 24-48 hours to be safe she said, but realistically could have it the night before and do it the next afternoon.

So there is an official, NHS answer. I felt like i was in the AA or something admitting to cannabis smoking to someone official "/. Felt like I was some sort of fugitive. Used a fake name, but gave all my other details right, (idiot). It was all confidential anyway. But there you have it, now if people use the search function rather than re-posting, they'll find an official answer to a problem not listed on their site.

Boom.
Anonymous
I've smoked cannabis before, within the past six months. I was wanting to donate blood but not sure if this would be allowed. Couldn't find anything on the official site.

Thanks

hahaha I lol'd at this :lol:
Yes you can. It'll be way out of your system by now.
How do I know? I'm mum smokes weed and gives blood and no ones ever said anything to her :frown:
oops just read your comment about manning up. My bad.
Really should learn to read all of the thread before I comment :redface:
Blood tests dont look for cannabis but if your donating blood im sure they would look for it
Original post by Abbiewolfenden
Blood tests dont look for cannabis but if your donating blood im sure they would look for it

this is an old thread.
Reply 35
As long as you are not under the influence at time of donation it's not a problem. They class it the same as alcohol. Any injected drugs are the only thing that would affect it. Hope this helps x
Reply 36
Cigarette smoking is usually not considered as a hindrance for you to donate blood. One cannot be disqualified if he/ she smokes. The problem arises when this habit causes your blood pressure to rise heavily. Know more about smoker can donate a blood or not visit here:https://askopinion.com/can-smokers-donate-blood
As what I have read on an article, you may donate blood without fear or tyranny even if you are using medical marijuana. The purpose of testing donated blood is to detect infectious diseases that are transmissible by transfusion. Donated blood is not tested for THC. It's safe, do not worry about it.
Take ur not pot smoker its from 2 to weeks to get oout your system...am sure with what cannabis can do to help people these days its wouldnt do no harm anyway !!
Original post by Kittykatkat
After 6 months it'll be out of your blood so you should be fine. Ask the nurses when you go to give blood, they'll have definitely heard it before.

Its not 6 months at all ...2 to 3 weeks ,gather your not a pot smoker ...considering how much it helps people these days ,I doubt it would make a differnce

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending