Lads Holiday!!! Amsterdam Watch

MSD 223
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Done a few napa style holidays with the boys and want to try something different. Hear Amsterdams meant to be good for all the usual aspects of a lads holiday...Any advice please? Where to stay? Area? Drinks prices etc....

cheers xx
Professor Oak
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Amsterdam is AMAZING. Some of the best times of my life spent there.

For places to stay - I loved Bob's youth hostel. But there are tons of great ones - just do a search here: https://www.hostelworld.com/ (has reviews etc).

I went on the National Express but P&O ferries are pretty cheap (from £40) or book a flight using Skyscanner. If you're flexible do the month view and it'll show you cheapest dates and times to fly.

You can go to Amsterdam on the Eurostar too but that tends to be the most expensive option.
Last edited by Professor Oak; 1 month ago
viktavondoom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Amsterdam is expensive! Lots and lots of fun though. If you're going to th coffee shops then you're talking about 5 euros plus for a gram of weed or individually rolled a little more. Around the touristy areas its about 4 euros a beer.

On the plus side it does have beer vending machines and weird fast food shops where they have the burgers in indvidual windows with sliding doors. Bit like the red light district but for food. Get good deals if you look at Ibis hotels. I stayed in a mint hotel called The Rembrant (as in the artist-check the spelling) Hotel and it was dead cheap.
Notker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends what you want to do. If you just want to screw whores and smoke weed then stay near De Wallen. I stayed in a youth hostel, which was cheap - shop around.
MSD 223
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Oh right OK. Well we want an abundance of clubs and bars, where everyone is of similar age (18-23). My searches had shown me the Leidseplein area. Said that it was meant to be around a euro a beer in some of the hostel bars and surrounding clubs???
xx
RNBen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You will need a lot of spending money, for example, a weekend will cost you about £200. Easily.
viktavondoom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MSD 223)
Oh right OK. Well we want an abundance of clubs and bars, where everyone is of similar age (18-23). My searches had shown me the Leidseplein area. Said that it was meant to be around a euro a beer in some of the hostel bars and surrounding clubs???
xx
A euro a beer? You'll be lucky. Only clubs i went to everyone was mashed off their nappers on pills anyways! I found alcohol to be ridiculously expensive to be fair in most places i've been.
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Amsterdam is really expensive, what about some of the Eastern European countries? There's good nightlife in some of the cities around there like Prague, Budapest, further north.. can't remember city names right now, mind blank :p:
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A euro a beer? hahahahahaha stop it my sides are splitting.
More like 10 euros a beer. I didn't find a single place for less than £3 a pint.
Do not go expecting cheap beer. Do go expecting loads of cool museums and sex shows. There is certainly plenty to do.

Prague is pretty cool, beer there cost between £1.80 and £3.50 a pint. Budapest was about the same, although the nightlife was a bit patchier.
miml
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Prague>Budapest>>>Amsterdam - unless you want weed (in which case Amsterdam is just easier)

Budapest is cheapest probably, although when I was in Amsterdam I spent about £20-£25 per day so I don't know where this £200 a weekend figure comes from. (Wasn't exactly on a lads holiday though)
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't bother hitting the red light district on a Tuesday night. Unless you absolutely love a bargain and don't mind jamming your todger into a petri dish.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads