Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, was just wondering how many authors English applicants mentioned in their personal statement? How many constitutes ludicrous name dropping, or too many to discuss at interview?

ReputationRep:
    It may not be at all connected, but in my French PS i mentioned 3 writers: Rousseau, Sartre and Camus. You may want to do the same. Obviously don't mention those writers, but you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Hi, was just wondering how many authors English applicants mentioned in their personal statement? How many constitutes ludicrous name dropping, or too many to discuss at interview?
    I put four. That seems about right I think

EDIT: Sorry, that's one author, one playwright and two poets

ReputationRep:
    I put about 4 philosophers on my PS.

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks everyone General consensus seems to be 3/4, I'd better cut about half then Couldn't make my mind up

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for a slightly different approach... I have one novelist, three poets, a playwright and then an author of literary history.

I hope this is ok...

edit: now have two novelists. yay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I've gone for a slightly different approach... I have one novelist, three poets, a playwright and then an author of literary history.

I hope this is ok...

edit: now have two novelists. yay.
    That sounds like a great combination I currently have 3 poets, Moliere (to bring my French course in), E. H. Carr, 2 playwrights and 4 authors so I'm pruning it down :rolleyes: It's just hard to choose.

ReputationRep:
    I know, the choosing is the worse.

I basically cut out anyone that I thought lots of peoepl might pick... Shakespeare had to go (sob), and so did Seamus Heaney, EE Cummings, Plath (kept Hughs through stubborness but didn't mention 'the thought fox').

Have found that I don't actually read as much as I thought I did. Which is worrying.

I think that we just have to put down authors that we genuinely like and can waffle about.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned nine books/plays/writers/directors, for my Classics PS last year. Not all at once, though. Definitely wouldn't put in any more than that, otherwise I think it starts to look a bit showy-off. I suppose it's best to pick a variety of authors, from different periods or cultures or genres, to show the breadth of your knowledge base - mine included Narnia, Under Milk Wood, and Ovid's Metamorphoses.

ReputationRep:
    have just written my history ps. mentioned 3 historians by name. for english perhaps it is a good idea to mention critics also, and maybe refer to a certain school of poets/ authors rather than list them all by name - as this sounds more like name dropping.
    pheebs

ReputationRep:
    I randomly mentioned different authors at different times to support different elements of my PS for e.g. I'd quote titles of books which were particularly useful and then just mentions particular authors at other times who I found really interesting/enjoyed etc...

ReputationRep:
    So far i have 4 authors and one poet. It's a work in progress :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it's not how many authors you mention, but how you do it that matters. So maybe only mentioning 2 would be better than an obvious attempt to show you've read every author with a penguin classic under their belt

ReputationRep:
    as of yet ive got 2 poets, one playwright and one novelist..so thats four in total
    mite try to get a critic in as well but still working on the first draft of my ps

I think I mentioned a few plays (the ones I have been in) plus I wrote a fair amount on Peter Wiess (Marat/Sade) and a bit about Marlowe(Dr Faustus). I wouldn't go do the name dropping thing though incase it came up in an interview and they tried to make you discuss the one you knew least about.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned a play, two poets, and about 5 novels. I mentioned lots because I didn't want to restrict myself to talking about just one novel when they asked me questions in an interview. I don't think it matters how many you mention to be honest, as long as you don't do absolutely loads. It would be an idea to make sure you mention at least one play, one poet, and one novel.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned 1 Playwright, 1 poet and 2 novelists. I just picked my favourites that i'd actually be able to talk about in an interview

ReputationRep:
    At interview, could you steer the conversation towards something you'd either read since writing your PS or before but hadn't had room to include, or would they think you just didn't know enough about what you'd put down?

I've cut mine to describing what I most enjoy about one of my absolute favourite writers and briefly analysing some of her books, describing why I enjoyed my favourite D. H. Lawrence, mentioning a book which my law course helped me to understand and mentioning 2 poets and something about Shakespeare. Does this sound ok to people?

At interview, could you steer the conversation towards something you'd either read since writing your PS or before but hadn't had room to include, or would they think you just didn't know enough about what you'd put down?

I've cut mine to describing what I most enjoy about one of my absolute favourite writers and briefly analysing some of her books, describing why I enjoyed my favourite D. H. Lawrence, mentioning a book which my law course helped me to understand and mentioning 2 poets and something about Shakespeare. Does this sound ok to people?
    Some of my interviews didn't touch on my ps at all. I talked about different things. This could have showed more depth to my knowledge because it showed I didn't just know what was in my ps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    Some of my interviews didn't touch on my ps at all. I talked about different things. This could have showed more depth to my knowledge because it showed I didn't just know what was in my ps.
    That makes sense, thanks

I'm thinking of mentioning critical approaches or some critics I enjoy, but I have so little space i.e. am already over the limit again Is it worth bumping something else off for?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.