Is ADHD an excuse for bad behaviour??

Watch
Poll: do you think that ADHD is used as an excuse for bad behaviour?
Do you think ADHD is a excuse for bad behaviour?? (6)
60%
if you saw a child misbehaving would you think they were just naughty or that maybe they had a mental condition?? (4)
40%
This discussion is closed.
toonangel21
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am doing a research project for college on the subject of ADHD and would like people's honest views and opinons on the subject, and whether they think that ADHD is just a excuse for bad behaviour. also if you saw a child screaming and being naughty would you automaticlly think they were just a naughty child or that they had a mental condition??

many thanks in advance
FPS Doug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
like anything, it has the potential to be abused, but it's a sincere diagnosis for people (mainly children). a consistently hyperactive child or a child who's mind is always wondering and thus causes them to have concentration problems could be indicative of children with ADHD but, misbehaving is a bit deep bruv, lol, surely anyone can and does?
Becky21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it does exist, but too many children are diagnosed with it when they are just badly behaved/brought up/
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your poll makes no sense at all lol.
Thomasmc135
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exactly, what the hell does the poll mean?
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
Your poll makes no sense at all lol.
First thought.

I think ADHD does exist in some cases ... but certainly not as commonly as it seems to be diagnosed.
Redbeard the Mighty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even if a child does genuinely have ADHD, and isn't just a little ass, it's not an excuse for bad behaviour. Or, more accurately, it's not an excuse for bad parenting.
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
First thought.
:yep:
amizzle91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it does exist in some people, and in others it's an excuse for bad behaviour/poor parenting.

I'm sure it's always been around and there are more diagnosed nowadays due to more awareness but I can't believe that the amount of people that have it truly do actually have it.
Chrisjay17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mouthy kid needs a good belting from his dad. Won't do it again afterwards. Smack the ADHD out of him for sure.
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think (hope!) that doctors/teachers/child psychologists know the difference between poor parenting and ADHD. It is pretty obvious when someone is not parenting effectively and an actual disorder or medical issue. Just watch Supernanny ect.
MissHero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not an excuse for bad behaviour, but it can be a reason/explanation. Or rather, a reason for something that is interpreted as bad behaviour but is actually a symptom of an underlying condition. Unfortunately, if it contravenes social norms or expectations then it still has to be dealt with...
SweetEve
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
I think (hope!) that doctors/teachers/child psychologists know the difference between poor parenting and ADHD. It is pretty obvious when someone is not parenting effectively and an actual disorder or medical issue. Just watch Supernanny ect.
Some doctors just ask a few questions and will label a person ADD/ADHD then hand over meds.
There are other "conditions" that can also look like ADD/ADHD.
I had 5 hours of testing to find out the answer to this and a couple other things, not a couple questions. A person can also lie when answering the questions for many reasons. One being the meds work differently on individuals that do not have ADD/ADHD and some want them for that.

I do not think it is an excuse for bad behaviour.
im so academic
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by toonangel21)
I am doing a research project for college on the subject of ADHD and would like people's honest views and opinons on the subject, and whether they think that ADHD is just a excuse for bad behaviour. also if you saw a child screaming and being naughty would you automaticlly think they were just a naughty child or that they had a mental condition??

many thanks in advance
It is an excuse for bad behaviour, like having a mental illness is an excuse for murder.

A crime is a crime regardless.

It's just bloody political correctness all over again.
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SweetEve)
Some doctors just ask a few questions and will label a person ADD/ADHD then hand over meds.
There are other "conditions" that can also look like ADD/ADHD.
I had 5 hours of testing to find out the answer to this and a couple other things, not a couple questions. A person can also lie when answering the questions for many reasons. One being the meds work differently on individuals that do not have ADD/ADHD and some want them for that.

I do not think it is an excuse for bad behaviour.
Have you got research backing that up? I am sure they wouldn't hand them out willy-nilly. I know from a school perspectives teachers/TA's and SENCO's would definitely be able to differentiate between general naughtiness/bad parenting with ADHD, I think with the latter it is much more extreme and you are less likely to get results with the usual disciplinary techniques.

In my experience, I have found that it is more a case of the parents having to fight for a diagnosis. Some people might claim their child has a medical problem, yet not actually be diagnosed, which I think the OP is perhaps getting at?

'Oh I think my child has ADHD, so that's why he is naughty, not because I haven't him disciplined properly' Yet they aren't actually officially ADHD they are just using it is as a mask or root cause rather than addressing the real issues.
Mick.w
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by toonangel21)

many thanks in advance
If i whitnessed a child being bad i would take it how i saw it and just be aware that the child was being badly behaved at that moment. children always act out. not just ones with ADHD

ADHD can be an identifiable root reason/cause for bad behaviour. not an excuse.
If you commit a crime it’s still a crime.
but it’s like a ripple effect. if a child is finding it hard to focus, gets easily distracted and is full of energy but has little or no outlet for it. the child is going to get very stressed. they will fall behind in work and look for alternative routes to fit in like "looking busy". they will feel so behind and out of place that they will try to round up other students into having fun and play with them. this is known as disrupting the class and is dubbed as bad behaviour. from an early age the child will be deemed as badly behaved. this will reflect in their self esteem and self image. as I'm sure you can imagine. its pretty easy for them to end up in jail with this kind of start to their life. especially if there’s no support at home.

children with ADHD are the gentic left overs of evolution. they are the warriors and hunters of old that now have no place in our society. our education system benefits the scholar not the labourer.
nativeLondoner
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is not surprising that the general public are ignorant about this disorder. Even psychologists are astonishingly misinformed about ADHD, especially the non-hyperactive form. Inattentive ADD often goes undetected as these children are much less demonstrative and thus get left unnoticed.
schoolstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure I deserved medication more than most of the guys that actually got it. They just behaved like ***** because they found it fun and they weren't awkward about making a racket. I think every kid should see a psychiatrist at school, even if they seem reasonably normal and happy, as many kids are probably missing out on things (medications etc) which could make them and their lives far better.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
all the leftw ing goodie goodies have jumped on how when the git is acting up - "its not his fault its his mental condition"

frankly makes me want to throw up
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Poll Fail.

Yes I think it's an excuse for bad behaviour. Just like perfectly deranged middle aged men who are paedophiles.

And I'm Left Wing :eek3:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads