The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ranbow99
Hmm it is weird :s-smilie: Especially the toilet thing! But at least they are nice people and feel comfortable enough to act like that around you...

I guess when you're not used to that kind of way, it can be strange. But maybe just spend more time with them and you'll get used to it?

OMG! I love Matt Lanter. Especially in 90210!! :woo:
Okay, most of that is odd, but what's wrong with them not having locks in the inside doors? :s-smilie: Presumably the house didn't come with locks pre-installed when they bought it, and they didn't feel the need to add them. Why would they? Don't you trust your family members not invade your privacy without your consent? I would find it odder if there's that little trust amongst family members.
Reply 22
They sound awful.
Antonia87
It was at my boyfriend's family's house that I first heard the words "pussy" and "cock" at the dinner table. They're very open and talk about virtually everything. And his mum has been topless in front of me too when we were in a ladies changing room. I wasnt particularly offended, I felt comfortable enough to strip off in front of her too. And they both ask me and my boyfriend about our sex life too. However, they never just walk into rooms without knocking or sit on toilets when I'm in the shower.

I personally think they're ******* brilliant.

Ah you dating my brother??????

that sounds like my family, really laid back and open and we have so many laughs about things we've done in our life. Youve never really gotten to know your mother until she regales you with the story of the first time she gave a guy a blowjob - seriously. Or the time she walked into my brothers bedroom to find him in the middle of a threesome with two girls (he was 15)
Reply 24
lmao, WTF XD
Wow his family is even worse than mine. I'd like to point out, my family are like this but I'm not like them. They may like walking around in their underwear and having no locks on the doors and walking in without knocking on a door when I'm getting changed or something like that but I hate it. I was so embarrassed when I brought my boyfriend to meet my family and put it off for as long as possible... and he has noticed they are odd. But thankfully nothing quite as embarrassing as your boyfriends. It is quite an odd closeness especially for British cultures anyway... I'm sure for other cultures even this is very very weird or completely normal.
Anonymous
Hi, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are regarding my boyfriends' family? I've just been to stay with them for the second time, and whilst they're all lovely, I felt a bit smothered by their behaviour.

They are all quite personal with one another, and I'm not used to this in my family. They all kiss each other on the lips (parents, children, grandparents etc) which I find quite off putting. I wouldn't even kiss my family on the lips, but on the cheek etc.

When we're out, his mum wants to either link arms or hold my hand, which again I find quite odd and slightly embarassing. My boyfriend and I are both 25. They want to be around us all the time, even when I was in another room reading the paper, they wanted me to come and sit with them at all times.

There are no locks on any doors, not even the bedrooms or bathroom. I didn't feel comfortable when I'm getting changed or in the shower, in case someone walked in, and sex was certainly off the menu. His mum held a full conversation with my whilst she was topless, after coming out of the bathroom. Most of the time, they leave the door open, whether they're brushing their teeth or on the toilet. My boyfriends mum actually went in to use the toilet whilst he was in the shower!

My boyfriend laughs and tells me they're just a really laid back, easy going family, but I think what goes on in the bedroom and bathroom is private. In my house, when you don't want to be disturbed, you lock the door until you're ready.

I left after a week feeling quite stressed out and stifled by their behaviour. At one point, I went out for a walk for an hour on my own, just to get a bit of space and peace. They really are lovely, friendly people - I just think maybe a bit too much so! Opinions please?

Urrrm ... Are you sure your new in laws aren't nudists? Wow. I've never heard of anything so strange. I get what you mean about the kissing on the lips, I kiss my parents on the cheek when we don't see each other for a while but apart from that hugs and that's it. And we certainly don't want to be with each other 24/7, that'd just do my head in. I prefer my own space personally, even if I'm with my friends for a week, I prefer to have evenings to myself. Maybe you should tell your boyfriend how you feel, discuss it with him but at the same time, tell him you are not telling their family to change and you are certainly not offending them but rather telling them how you feel .. UNCOMFORTABLE!
Reply 28
InLuvWthAFairytale
OMG! I love Matt Lanter. Especially in 90210!! :woo:

Hehe same, I think i'm a little bit obsessed :biggrin:
ranbow99
Hehe same, I think i'm a little bit obsessed :biggrin:

That's such a hot picture too :drool: :love:
You'll get used to it, it's just the way they are.
Lol, none of our doors have locks either.
Reply 32
Anonymous
Hi, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are regarding my boyfriends' family? I've just been to stay with them for the second time, and whilst they're all lovely, I felt a bit smothered by their behaviour.

They are all quite personal with one another, and I'm not used to this in my family. They all kiss each other on the lips (parents, children, grandparents etc) which I find quite off putting. I wouldn't even kiss my family on the lips, but on the cheek etc.

When we're out, his mum wants to either link arms or hold my hand, which again I find quite odd and slightly embarassing. My boyfriend and I are both 25. They want to be around us all the time, even when I was in another room reading the paper, they wanted me to come and sit with them at all times.

There are no locks on any doors, not even the bedrooms or bathroom. I didn't feel comfortable when I'm getting changed or in the shower, in case someone walked in, and sex was certainly off the menu. His mum held a full conversation with my whilst she was topless, after coming out of the bathroom. Most of the time, they leave the door open, whether they're brushing their teeth or on the toilet. My boyfriends mum actually went in to use the toilet whilst he was in the shower!

My boyfriend laughs and tells me they're just a really laid back, easy going family, but I think what goes on in the bedroom and bathroom is private. In my house, when you don't want to be disturbed, you lock the door until you're ready.

I left after a week feeling quite stressed out and stifled by their behaviour. At one point, I went out for a walk for an hour on my own, just to get a bit of space and peace. They really are lovely, friendly people - I just think maybe a bit too much so! Opinions please?

While they're aren't really locks on doors in my house, and while we're all comfortable seeing each other naked we would never be like that around non family. Tell your boyfriend that their behavior makes you feel a bit stifled. I can understand how the holding hands and always wanting to be around you must be upsetting - but with the topless thing it's a pair of breasts for gods sake - nothing to be embarresed or worried about. The same goes for the lavatory incident - they're family and showering/excreting is all natural, I wouldn't say using the loo while another family member is in the shower is either weird or wrong.
No locks in my house and my Mum walks about topless or in a bra if its too warm. My bf was uncomfortable at first but he got used to it.

We knock before opening doors though, and no-one goes to the toilet whilst someone is in the shower!

As you are a guest suggest to your bf that people knock on the bathroom door before entering and the bedroom so you have a little more privacy.
silverbolt
Ah you dating my brother??????

that sounds like my family, really laid back and open and we have so many laughs about things we've done in our life. Youve never really gotten to know your mother until she regales you with the story of the first time she gave a guy a blowjob - seriously. Or the time she walked into my brothers bedroom to find him in the middle of a threesome with two girls (he was 15)

Oh my best one was when my boyfriend's father announced to us and everybody else at his dinner party "Oh James (my boyfriend) I tell you what, your mother has a huge clitoris." And another one - "Oh did I ever tell you about the time your mother and I were at a surprise party and the lights were off so I took my willy out for her to play with and then the lights came on again?"

:rofl:
Reply 35
That would... weird me out, tbh.
Antonia87
Oh my best one was when my boyfriend's father announced to us and everybody else at his dinner party "Oh James (my boyfriend) I tell you what, your mother has a huge clitoris." And another one - "Oh did I ever tell you about the time your mother and I were at a surprise party and the lights were off so I took my willy out for her to play with and then the lights came on again?"

:rofl:

lmao

my mother puked on the bloke as soon as he came in her mouth (this story was brought by sister saying the cream on her soup looked like cum)

and as for the threesome well that was just bloody hilarious becuase my mothers sense of humour can be evil. When she walked instead of being like many parents and either having a nervous breakdown or a screaming fit, oh no she decided to ask my brother if he had condoms and if not she could give him one. AND then turned to the girls and said if you get bored come downstairs and il make you a cup of tea. He has never forgiven her for it whereas the rest of the family find it hilarious
I'd be a little uncomfortable. Most English people would be I think
Reply 38
I could live with the kiss on the lips part, I don't do it but I actually know lots of people who do.

I don't care if my family walks in when I'm changing, that happens quite a lot tbh, but they would never do that when someone else was in the house. Never. They'd give him/her some privacy.

My family would do most of the things you said too (not all of them though, the toilet/holding hands things are just weird), but never with someone who isn't family.

Maybe they just consider you to be one of them now? Part of the family? Dunno...
This would drive me mad. Just buy them a day at a theme park or something and have locks fitted while they're away.

Latest

Trending

Trending