The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never heared of Derby. Northampton College uni is not actually a university but a higher education college. I know somebody on media studies there and she never has much work do at all and she dosn;t have any exams.

I think academicaly its a bit of a dead end. The employment rate is well below the national average that place.
Reply 2
amazingtrade
I've never heared of Derby. Northampton College uni is not actually a university but a higher education college. I know somebody on media studies there and she never has much work do at all and she dosn;t have any exams.

I think academicaly its a bit of a dead end. The employment rate is well below the national average that place.

It seems to score quite well in the Gaurdian though.
Reply 3
Do U Know If Its A Big Uni ?
Reply 4
GLYNN2K1
Do U Know If Its A Big Uni ?

It isn't a university is a higher education college. I think it has around 8000 students. There are differences between universities and colleges.
Reply 5
Damn, I Wanna Go To A Uni, Its A Better Life Style
Reply 6
GLYNN2K1
Damn, I Wanna Go To A Uni, Its A Better Life Style

You will still get the same life style, Northampton have halls etc, in fact from what I hear of that place you don't study there you just party. But the problem is employers also know that.

When you get the degree it will say 'university college' and not 'university' so it won't look as good.
Reply 7
Hmmm, I Get Ya
Reply 8
So Any One From Derby Uni ?
Reply 9
I live in Northamton (well about 5 mins from it) and it's a nice place.

Basicly the uni is nice. Yes it isn't an official uni it's a university collage and has it's degrees authorised by surrounding unis but the uni itself is a nice place. It's quite close to the town centre and is as pretty as a 30 year old building can be. The uni has a good business department though, my teacher studied there.

If you like large city life though DON'T come here. The town is close to the uni and has the highest concentration of bars in one place in the country (local fact!!!!!). I wouldn't use the word quiet to descibe the town but it's not on par with the likes of many other cities.
GLYNN2K1
So Any One From Derby Uni ?

i haven't been to derby but theres a pretty regular bus service from nottingham which goes right through the night so i guess you could easily have a good night out. plus you guys have the old vic-cool little venue which im visiting next month, damn my favourite band for not playing nottingham *grr*
ha
i live in derby. it's a really nice place to live (in the top 5 best places to live in the UK). it's quite a compact city and doesn't actually have a proper live venue, bar the small and often cramped (but amazing!) victoria inn. nottingham's about half an hour away by bus/car and is dead cheap to get to - it has a far better nightlife etc. derby is also really close to the peak district (you can be in hill country in less than an hour) and is a generally attractive city anyway. low crime rates as well.
Reply 13
i've got a place at derby uni but i'm not sure about moving away. is derby recognised for its forensic studies with psychology course anybody know? i went to the open day but it was very rushed and never had chance to talk properly to the staff.
Reply 14
i live near nthampton uni!!!!!! well bout half hour away...its not really really big cos it used to be a college! good facilties and its all spaced out on a big long rd!

i think its reps gettin better now that its getting bit more recognised.

northampton itself nice place, good shops n the the night life is relatively good. remember u is not too far from lesta as well n thats got real good shops n clubs!

derbys a lot worse than northampton! (uni wise) thats my opinion
Reply 15
another northamptonian here!! i dont know much about the uni cos i never go that side of town cos i live the other side out in the sticks...but northampton town centre, is (my personal opinion) a dump! the shops are crap, they are getting slightly better but then a lot of places are shutting down aswell. The nightlife...depends what you like. If you like bars and cheesy clubs the choice is pretty wide and they're all in the same area, pretty much the same street - im not convinced its got the highest concentration of bars in one place in the country though, theres not that many! If you like good music and a variety (aka indie/rock/old school cheese/soul/a good old mix - the top end of town is good...must mention the 'soundhaus' just in case u decide on northampton. If you like to shop head to Milton Keynes...longest shopping centre in the world! (thats longest not biggest) and good shops, only 20mins away. thats my 2 pennies worth anyway. sorry dont know anything about derby!
Reply 16
HelenC
another northamptonian here!! i dont know much about the uni cos i never go that side of town cos i live the other side out in the sticks...but northampton town centre, is (my personal opinion) a dump! the shops are crap, they are getting slightly better but then a lot of places are shutting down aswell. The nightlife...depends what you like. If you like bars and cheesy clubs the choice is pretty wide and they're all in the same area, pretty much the same street - im not convinced its got the highest concentration of bars in one place in the country though, theres not that many! If you like good music and a variety (aka indie/rock/old school cheese/soul/a good old mix - the top end of town is good...must mention the 'soundhaus' just in case u decide on northampton. If you like to shop head to Milton Keynes...longest shopping centre in the world! (thats longest not biggest) and good shops, only 20mins away. thats my 2 pennies worth anyway. sorry dont know anything about derby!

I used to live in derby and i still live quite near. The Uni has got some realy nice new accommodation, and has invested quite alot over recent years. It never used to have such a good reputation but since about 4 years ago it has just been going up and up.
Reply 17
HelenC

ahhhhh milk n beans (milton keynes) shopping haven, but still reckon lesta's better!
Reply 18
babyboo
ahhhhh milk n beans (milton keynes) shopping haven, but still reckon lesta's better!

never been to leicester, dont think so anyway, will have to venture over there one day. where bouts in northants do u live?
Reply 19
HelenC
never been to leicester, dont think so anyway, will have to venture over there one day. where bouts in northants do u live?

good ol kettering! whoop whoop! what about u?! yeah trust milk n beans is nice but lesta has got every shop ever!

Latest

Trending

Trending