Audiology Watch

This discussion is closed.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wednesburywench)
oh and as for no info on salary i managed to find some jobs off google in like a second, try looking harder next time. http://www.baaudiology.org/Jobs.htm seems top salary is about 35 grand for a senior auduiolgist, and mto2 (entry level) is 16 grand. Looks a decent salary really. About the same as nurses and other mtos such as clinical physiologists.
lol...

you graduate with mto 3 = Band 5

Like i said before, you can't get the required information untill the 1st BSc students graduate. No one has graduated yet so the salaries are extremly vague. Also, i would like this guy to apply to UCL because it is such a fantastic place. I'm just saying don't take it for granted for missing grades because you will not get in at UCL for audiology if you miss the grades.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/10/85/32/04108532.pdf

BAND 5 = When you graduate
BAND 6 = 1 year after providing you do the neccessary speciliasing
BAND 7 = With MSc
BAND 8 = With PHD

It takes 10 years+ to get to PHD from next year for you mate. So you'll be 28 when you get there but that's providing you work really hard! As the competition for such places are not immense, that's why all the audiology schools say it's such a great opportunity to move up the ladder quickly.

Hope that helps.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Craig 610)
Yeh the experience is a bonus, but it is more about seeing if Audiology is for you. I think a lot of people dont realise what Audiology actually is and what job comes with it.
oh yes, i entirely agree.
but was just trying to reassure even if you couldn't necessarily hang out in an audiology department or stalk audiologists then other healthcare experience/voluntary work might also be useful. especially if with elderly people, or perhaps people with disabilities & co-morbidities including deafness etc. to show a different aspect to audiology. although i imagine most audiologists would be pretty happy to have someone shadow them!

Nas - i know you have a master plan & everything - which is good.. but it might not be quite as easy as 'do phD now + up to next level!' post grad research generally seems quite gruelling.. :p:
Nas989
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Wow, thanks guys for all the information, its helped loads!!!!!!!!
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol yup, it is sure a tough postgraduate degree. But i believe i can get there in the end [when im 29] . I guess there is no time better than the present to get in the field. I agree with craig too.. make sure you enjoy the work experience because i heard stories of people actually hating it :eek:
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you dont enjoy the work experience you know the jobs not for you, i did teahcing for mine and hated it, totally knew it wasnt for me!

As for the pay thing, yea u start on mto3 n stuff, but those are still the same salaries i quoted...off an official jobs website, from official job posts, the mto3 posts i think were about 20 grand-22 grand. I think as a phd you would do more research not an audiologists job, and so that wud be a completly different pay scale....anyways why is it always about the money! It should be about the job.
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh and ok if u wasnt tryin to put him off, just warning him yea, but it might be diff next yr, less ppl might meet there offers and they may lower boundarys. u never no, just my advice is take the risks, go for it, you will get there if you work hard!
Craig 610
Report 13 years ago
Why are you gettin involved wednesburywench? You aren't even interested in Audiology! LMAO!
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cus i dont wana see sum1 put off when he shudnt be
Craig 610
Report 13 years ago
He wont be put off, plus there are other Universitys that off the course. Besides nas should know, he did apply and get a place on the course.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wednesburywench)
oh and ok if u wasnt tryin to put him off, just warning him yea, but it might be diff next yr, less ppl might meet there offers and they may lower boundarys. u never no, just my advice is take the risks, go for it, you will get there if you work hard!
UCL's department said it'll get more competitive each year now that people are finally finding out what audiology is and with the good salary that comes with it. My words are just motivation to make sure the other nas gets BBCe-BBBe. I know 100% that if people miss their grades at ucl for audiology the department are extremly likely to reject them and take people in from clearing with higher grades [this is what my friend was told over the phone when she got rejected for missing a grade by 5 UMS marks].
Nas989
Lol, its always about money, no one likes to work for peanuts unless they love the job soo much (have not come across no one who loves there work lol) But yeh i've thought of it, gonna try n get the work experience to see how it is(audiology), if am not feeling it, gonna stick with pharmacy, already have some work experience for it. Was gonna go for optometry but laser treatment is like 5-10 years away so the opticians would have a hard time then, a life of selling drugs to the community LOL o well will c how it pans out over the next couple of weeks
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if he wants it he will work hard, words like that might put him off
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
pharmacy is just another word for a shop assistant...if you like your saturday job in the shop (assuming you had one) then pharmacy will just be like that...
Craig 610
Report 13 years ago
You can see how Audiology is growing. A year ago know one used to post about it, and now there are about 5 different people arguing about it!
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol
Craig 610
Report 13 years ago
I wouldnt say pharmacy is like a saturday job, theres a lot more responsibility! Besides, Medicine is becoming are lot more me me me
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nas989)
Lol, its always about money, no one likes to work for peanuts unless they love the job soo much (have not come across no one who loves there work lol) But yeh i've thought of it, gonna try n get the work experience to see how it is(audiology), if am not feeling it, gonna stick with pharmacy, already have some work experience for it. Was gonna go for optometry but laser treatment is like 5-10 years away so the opticians would have a hard time then, a life of selling drugs to the community LOL o well will c how it pans out over the next couple of weeks
Lol very true. But if you enjoy the course you will find it easier to get a 2:1, 1:1. Even a 2:2 is good enough for MSc Audiology at southampton . Optometry is losing interest because of the salary being declined significantly and i get alot of people emailing me from this forum who wanted to do optometry but now going for audiology lol. By the way, my words didn't discourage you from doing audiology did it? I was merely stating that if you take it for granted of getting in with a slipped grade then you probably wont make it.. therefore, work as hard as you can . Even if you do slip up, there are plenty more universities doing audiology that are no way as strict.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Craig 610)
You can see how Audiology is growing. A year ago know one used to post about it, and now there are about 5 different people arguing about it!
lol yeah, audiology is the new optometry no doubt. I'm just happy i got in there early. :cool:
Craig 610
Report 13 years ago
Yeah feels good now we have guaranteed places. I just hope it takes me to the right places in life!
Nas989
LOL come on guys stop fighting, its all good advise, UCL is quite strict with its grades and as Craig said there are also other unis that do the course, but first choice uni would be UCL, but still im not clear on one thing, im only takin 3 alevels, do i need an AS for it? lol same goes with pharmacy as well??
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads