The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Times and our local, The News.

My Dad works for The Times and used to be on The News (where he met my Mum), so it's kind of a given in our house. I'm not allowed to touch The Telegraph!
Reply 2
Independent, don't really know why, just started buying it once and being British, haven't felt like changing. The new tabloid size (nicked by the times) is also convienent.
Mines the Guardian.

I do prefer the slightly less biased style of the Independent, but for some reason they refuse to go with the most prominent stories and always have something quite random on the front page!
Oh yeah and as you said, I prefer the Independent's format! Why won't the Guardian go tabloid, theyre meant to be progressive aren't they?? :wink:
Reply 5
Daily mail, times, telegraph, sometimes the independent and the Evening Standard.
Reply 6
I never bother reading newspapers. Either they're too biased and opinionated (or holier than thou) or just have a load of crap in them, like The Sun and their victor meldrew in the stars story. If I want actual news I'll look on Google news, but if I want a cheap laugh then I'll buy a newspaper.
I used to read the Guardian and then I switched to the Telegragh as I became more Conservative, then I switched to the Times since it is a more compact, convenient paper.
Reply 8
thebucketwoman
Mines the Guardian.

I do prefer the slightly less biased style of the Independent, but for some reason they refuse to go with the most prominent stories and always have something quite random on the front page!

Interesting you should bring that up, since on results day (18th august) every paper was harping on about results day, the indy put the gaza withdrawal on the front page :biggrin:
Reply 9
Another Guardian reader. Is it that obvious?
I like it because it's sufficiently open-minded enough to have people of different opinions (Henry Kissinger, what the f*ck?) writing articles, but overall shares many of my views. Oh, and it has good obituaries and an excellent Review section on Saturdays. And what can I say, I love Polly Toynbee.
Edit: I like the awkward massive size! Makes it easier, or at any rate more fun, to lie on the floor with and read. How do you read your newspaper? :p:
Madelyn

Edit: I like the awkward massive size! Makes it easier, or at any rate more funn, to lie on the floor with and read. How do you read your newspaper? :p:

Usually on a cramped Underground carriage, elbowing fellow passengers in the stomach.

Hmm, I should try your floor idea.
**** that scared me... a huge spider just ran across my floor!
I've just trapped it under a deoderant can.

Dunno what to do now!
Just think of it crawling over your face while you are asleep.
Reply 14
Where's the Economist? It calls itself a newspaper.
The Independent and The Times. Although less and less The Inde these days, for the reason you mentioned. Tony Blair could be assasinated and the next morning their headline would be about some variety of flower which is in danger.
Yeah, sorry i've left some out. Couldn't think of any more at the time. Just choose other.
Reply 17
Bismarck
Where's the Economist? It calls itself a newspaper.

a newsmagazine methinks. To be a newspaper, it has to be on that brownish crappy paper, its too upmarket to be a newspaper. IMO anyway.
Guardian. I think its irrelevant that it has some bias because it always has the most information pertinent to a news story.
plus the science articles in there are usually identical to those in the next issue of New Scientist. its a paper which is good if you read to think not for boredom.
I can't remember seeing the Economist for sale unless it's somewhere like WH Smiths.

Latest

Trending

Trending