Which newspaper do you read? Watch

Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
The Independent and The Times. Although less and less The Inde these days, for the reason you mentioned. Tony Blair could be assasinated and the next morning their headline would be about some variety of flower which is in danger.
maybe its just me, but i don't buy a paper to read whats on the front. If I wanted that, I log on to BBC/CNN/Yahoo news online, and read the headlines. The paper is for the opinion pages...
thebucketwoman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm glad to see no ones voting for my hated three so far! (The Sun, The Mail, and The Express)

Edit: 1 for the sun!
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaf1986)
maybe its just me, but i don't buy a paper to read whats on the front. If I wanted that, I log on to BBC/CNN/Yahoo news online, and read the headlines. The paper is for the opinion pages...
Well when I come downstairs in the morning, a number of things are competing for my attention; the computer, tv, food, falling over onto the floor. So unfortunately, if the front page looks a bit gash, I normally don't even pick up the paper.

Yes, I am a filthy uneducated pig.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well when I come downstairs in the morning, a number of things are competing for my attention; the computer, tv, food, falling over onto the floor. So unfortunately, if the front page looks a bit gash, I normally don't even pick up the paper.

Yes, I am a filthy uneducated pig.
im glad im not the only one...
userunknown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You have to love the Mail it's so absurd I find it's moral, rabble rousing stance almost comical.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaf1986)
a newsmagazine methinks. To be a newspaper, it has to be on that brownish crappy paper, its too upmarket to be a newspaper. IMO anyway.
I don't think there is any rule about the type of paper newspapers should be printed on.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only one option?

I read the Economist, Times and the Guardian.

The Times, being bipartisan, makes for better reading, but on the other hand, the quality of the articles in the Guardian is very high.

The Economist is of course the ultimate news resource, and reading that once a week gives you more knowledge than any newspaper could...
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
I don't think there is any rule about the type of paper newspapers should be printed on.
Lighten up, its almost 1 am here. I think of it as an unwritten rule, of course there isn't a rule. That would be far too illiberal
userunknown
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't call a Murdoch paper bipartisan.
thebucketwoman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Beekeeper)
Only one option?

I read the Economist, Times and the Guardian.

The Times, being bipartisan, makes for better reading, but on the other hand, the quality of the articles in the Guardian is very high.

The Economist is of course the ultimate news resource, and reading that once a week gives you more knowledge than any newspaper could...
I'll have to try the Economist, must be good!

What do you mean about the Times being bipartisan? I thought it was Tory?
Saying that, I do find it quite a good quality paper and not too biased. Their coverage of Robin Cook's death, for example, was really good I thought.

The Telegraph, on the other hand, I just can't bear to pick up.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Saying that, I do find it quite a good quality paper and not too biased. Their coverage of Robin Cook's death, for example, was really good I thought.
Times is tory, but they try to be subtle about it. just as the indy tries hard not to be blatantly supporting lib dems, but everyone knows it does (most of the time)...
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thebucketwoman)
I'll have to try the Economist, must be good!

The Telegraph, on the other hand, I just can't bear to pick up.
The Telegraph is crap, just a load of pensioners whining on about boring local issues...
Kura1984
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Daily Mail because, to me, it seems equally working class and middle class. So, I don't feel like I'm 'reading someone else's paper' (My mom was working class and my dad is middle class) Plus, it's easy to read, regarding size.
Although Quentin Letts really lets the paper down sometimes (he's a writer) with his holier than thou attitude.

I read the Guardian online because I hate the broadsheet size. It's informative and it's like the newspaper equivalent to the BBC.
gideon2000uk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've never heard a Tory call the Telegraph crap before! I personally like to read the Telegraph for a good dose of intellectual right-wing thought every now and again.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gideon2000uk)
I've never heard a Tory call the Telegraph crap before! I personally like to read the Telegraph for a good dose of intellectual right-wing thought every now and again.
The telegraph can be as Conservative as it likes, but the articles still make for crap reading.
I don't want to read about how a 12yo is pregnant, I have no interest whatsoever.

I think the Telegraph's readership is generally quite old anyway, my grandad loves reading it.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Mail on Sunday, the Times or the Telegraph during the week, sometimes the Economist. Since we're smashing those conformities and metanarratives, I'd also like to add that the Spectator, Samizdata, FHM and the Microsoft Developer Network are also grand, regular newspapers I read, even if they don't contain news or paper.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
FHM really is dogmeat.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
FHM really is dogmeat.
I don't really err.. "read" it, I just ran out of things to say.
Alexdel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thebucketwoman)
Mines the Guardian.

I do prefer the slightly less biased style of the Independent, but for some reason they refuse to go with the most prominent stories and always have something quite random on the front page!
Isnt that what true journalism is about? Reporting about stories that people's lives rather than try and get more people to buy the paper..
digitalparadox
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The independent - its just the lay out is much nicer and esp the size was a determining factor. Plus they talk loads more on the middle east politics which is more of an interest to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads