Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i dont read newspapers

ReputationRep:
    I expected the Times to win hands down here, it is the biggest broadsheet afterall, and its only 20p for students... its almost free.

ReputationRep:
    i read the guardian, i guess cos i've always read it. even when we lived in the states my parents bought it, they hate american 'journalism'. i also read le monde. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    I expected the Times to win hands down here, it is the biggest broadsheet afterall, and its only 20p for students... its almost free.
    Is this some new offer I haven't heard about? Or is it exclusive to northerners?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,3223,00.html See to the right...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,3223,00.html See to the right...
    old fashioned me i suppose, still buying from the newsagents....

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe how many votes the lefty papers are getting!

(Original post by Zaf)
    Is this some new offer I haven't heard about? Or is it exclusive to northerners?
    In my uni, the NUS does all broadsheets for 20p (except 40p for the FT). Maybe that's what Bk means.

The Telegraph is the biggest broadsheet in terms of circulation.

ReputationRep:
    BK,

thanks for my first shiny gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    In my uni, the NUS does all broadsheets for 20p (except 40p for the FT). Maybe that's what Bk means.
    The FT for 40p?! Wow that is VERY good

And no, thats not what I meant, just tell the times you are a student, give them your address, and they'll send you 4 weeks worth of tokens, which allow you to get the Times for 20p Monday-Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I go between reading The Times and the (Glasgow) Herald. Is it just ignorance or does the rest of the UK not have the same tradition we have in Scotland of daily broadsheet national newspapers (ie, with national and international news) published outside of London?

As far as I am aware, the Guardian used to be published in Manchester, but it's only a glorified relay station there now. Here we have the Herald, the Scotsman (Edinburgh).

Oh and I sometimes buy the American broadsheets because my local newsagent does them. Gives an interesting change of perspective.

(Original post by JonD)
    I don't believe how many votes the lefty papers are getting!
    Of the papers listed, which are the lefty papers???........beside the Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    Morning Star for one. They're Stalinist nutters.

ReputationRep:
    the indy cos its easy to hold and read on the train

ReputationRep:
    The Times, The Guardian or The Independent. Also the Economist (which isn't technically a newspaper).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    The Daily Mail because, to me, it seems equally working class and middle class. .
    Yes, the Daily Mail hates everyone with equal contempt. So in that way, you're right.

ReputationRep:
    I read the Express most of the time although due to an offer in WH Smiths that you get a book for 99p with The Times I've been also reading that although when the offer goes out I'll just read the Express again.

Edit: have to ask thebucketwoman why do you hate the Express?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Mines the Guardian.

I do prefer the slightly less biased style of the Independent, but for some reason they refuse to go with the most prominent stories and always have something quite random on the front page!
    What do you think of the Guardians hiring of extremists and Al-Qaeda associates to write articles, without disclosing any of their details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Of the papers listed, which are the lefty papers???........beside the Guardian.
    The Independent. Its about as Independent of objectivity as you can get!

ReputationRep:
    The Week

ReputationRep:
    I voted for The Sun as I read this newspaper the most. It is rather trashy but I agree with many of their views and I love reading Little John along with many of their other columnists. I also read the Daily Mail - I tend to agree with a lot of their views.
    I do read the online version of the Guardian and Independent. I do enjoy reading them but I deeply disagree with many of their views and also their obession with Iraq just doesn't interest me.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.