Is cheerleading a sport? Watch

This discussion is closed.
DeLboY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sopheh)
Who here actually knows what they're on about and is not basing their view soley on american films they have watched? It's basically dance mixed with gymnastics, and it's very hard.

I'm not a cheerleader, but I am a dancer and I joined in my friends class once. Before you say it isn't a sport... I suggest you try and do what they're doing.
I'm not denying that it takes skill, a lot of practice and good rhythm etc. BUT none of these make cheerleading a sport.

Like I said before, it takes a lot of hardwork, skill and rhythm to play the guitar, but that's not a sport. Just because it's a physical activity doesn't make it a sport either.

Sport - noun. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others

Okay so the Oxford definition may be slightly dated, it also defines cheerleader as:

"a girl belonging to a group that performs organized chanting and dancing in support of a team at sporting events."

It is no more of a sport than professional dancing or ballet.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pheebs)
no, it's more of a popularity contest!
It's funny how people have to be reminded that films are not reality... if they were, people wouldn't bother watching them.

Here's a pic of some cheerleaders at a varsity american football match that I took. http://www.photomania.com/photo_invi...=~rad8A9B7.jpg
Hardly the way they depict cheerleading in Hollywood films.
username21537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
doesnt work sam
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I see it in the same league as Gymnastics... so yeh I guess

If it really was the way American TV portrays it then no of course it wouldn't be a sport but it's not
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
stealing threads from CnB? :rolleyes:
IjustlovetheIB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DeLboY)

Sport - noun. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Cheerleading involves physical exertion and skill. And many cheerleading teams participate in competitions.

Therefore, cheerleading is a sport.

And by the way, I consider professional dancing and ballet sports as well.
username21537
Rep:
?
(Original post by Herleif)
stealing threads from CnB? :rolleyes:
whats CnB?
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dont act the innocent with me :rolleyes:
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its not really a sport but it can be bloody good fun to watch sometimes
username21537
Rep:
?
(Original post by Herleif)
dont act the innocent with me :rolleyes:
no seriously, what is CnB?
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
www . cool and bored . com

:rolleyes:
username21537
Rep:
?
No. No I havent been stealing threads off "CnB".

considering i havent actually gone there ill just assume that something simalar exists. which i didnt know about.
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok moody :rolleyes:

I believe you
Coombe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i put no coz although it involved a lot of gymnastics, they go to a sportsfield to cheer on a sports team i.e they are not the sport people are coming to see. And, i think it's more dance/majorettes (dances like swing have lifts in them etc, but they aren't classed as sport...)
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think you get ESPN, which is the major sports network in the US.

Cheerleading in itself is not a sport. Competitive cheerleading is definitely a sport. If you watch the Cheerleading World Championships (they have them!) the skills these people have are insane. It came on and my entire family was riveted. The typical high school in the states is just jumping up and down and waving pom-poms, but the competitive teams do really acrobatic perfomances.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
well its not a True sport.... for a start no balls are involved... only pom poms... ok joke aside... it could in theory be classed as a sport as competitions do take place and are very competative, but in my mind it is not a sport.
Retro.spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No I wouldnt say so. I mean you dont go to a basketball match to see the cheerleaders do you?(unless your'e related to them)
Catski
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If darts and tiddlywinks are officially sports, I think we can safely say cheerleading is.
yo-less
Badges: 1
Report 13 years ago
what defines a sport really?
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would never do it but to be a cheerleader you'd have to be extremely fit.
so yes i guess it is
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (35)
17.24%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (86)
42.36%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
40.39%

Watched Threads