Survey British social class accents please answer Watch

This discussion is closed.
Janki
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi everyone,
I' m currently studying in the UK. I have to write an essay about British social class accents.
I would be glad if you would take some time to answer these questions.
You are very welcome to answer even if you are not British.
I have posted this questionnaire in 2 other forums before, because I need at least 30 people to answer it. It' s not spam

Brtish Social class accents
1. Do you think social class accents are still important today and why?
2. In what parts of life are they still important? Which parts of life are especially influenced by your social class accent? work, university...
3. Received pronunciation, Queen's English, Oxford English, Posh English
-Do you think these are different terms for the same accent, or do you think they are different accents?
4. RP: your comments about RP
5. Oxford English: your comments about Oxford English
6. Queen's English: if you have some comments
7. Posh English: here you can make some comments about posh English
8. Estuary English: room for your comments
9. Slang: your comments typical slang expressions:
10. Some people say the Queen's accent has changed over the years.
-Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent?
11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP, Queen's English, Oxford English, posh English, Estuary speakers...
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh?
13. What is your general opinion about social class accents?
-Do think they should stay or do you think they should be abolished?
14. What kind of social class accent do you have yourself?
15. The future of British social class accents:
Which accents will comletely die out? Queen's English, RP?
Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years? Estuary? or something else?

Finally you can make some general comments on this topic if you like:

If you know some good websites about British social class accents you can write them down here:

Thank you very much!!!
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, because class itself is still important and therefore so are indicators of it.

2. In what parts of life are they still important? Which parts of life are especially influenced by your social class accent? work, university...
I suppose everywhere, but especially in a mixed class environment. I can imagine they might be obvious in any interview situation.

They're different.

Well I dont speak it! I would have thought most people dont- often even moderate RP has a tinge of an accent about it.

5. Oxford English:
Dictionary?

6. Queen's English
She's about the only one who speaks English in that way! Its a very unusual dialect.

7. Posh English:
Posh English doesnt necessarily mean accentless. You get posh northern, London etc, its possible to have a regional accent and still be considered to speak 'posh'.

8. Estuary English:
Boring, lots of people put it on. Never sounds very authentic to me anymore.

9. Slang:
Varies from region to region, but incidentally did you know the word 'mard' is meant to be unique to Lancashire? It means a crybaby.

Didnt notice. Dont care anyway.

11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP, Queen's English, Oxford English, posh English, Estuary speakers...
Oh I dont know, too many to mention!

12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh?
Some do. I've noticed this at Oxford. It works the other way too though, people trying to sound posher.

Dont see how they could be abolished.

Dunno, mixture I guess. Bits of working class, bits of posher. I tend to use lots of long words interspersed with lots of swearing if that helps.

I dont think many are likely to die out, I heard somewhere that the basic patterns for regional accents are a millennium old. You hear more and more accents then ever now from people in the public eye, and also many people are proud of their accents.

Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years? Estuary? or something else?
Hard to predict the trends, estuary is quite pervasive at the moment, but less so in the north. Maybe the south-eastern accents will meld together a bit more.
I dont really know much about any of this though really, its mainly guesswork.
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Yes, because class itself is still important and therefore so are indicators of it.

I suppose everywhere, but especially in a mixed class environment. I can imagine they might be obvious in any interview situation.

They're different.

Well I dont speak it! I would have thought most people dont- often even moderate RP has a tinge of an accent about it.

5. Oxford English:
Dictionary?

6. Queen's English
She's about the only one who speaks English in that way! Its a very unusual dialect.

7. Posh English:
Posh English doesnt necessarily mean accentless. You get posh northern, London etc, its possible to have a regional accent and still be considered to speak 'posh'.

8. Estuary English:
Boring, lots of people put it on. Never sounds very authentic to me anymore.

9. Slang:
Varies from region to region, but incidentally did you know the word 'mard' is meant to be unique to Lancashire? It means a crybaby.

Didnt notice. Dont care anyway.

Oh I dont know, too many to mention!

Some do. I've noticed this at Oxford. It works the other way too though, people trying to sound posher.

Dont see how they could be abolished.

Dunno, mixture I guess. Bits of working class, bits of posher. I tend to use lots of long words interspersed with lots of swearing if that helps.

I dont think many are likely to die out, I heard somewhere that the basic patterns for regional accents are a millennium old. You hear more and more accents then ever now from people in the public eye, and also many people are proud of their accents.

Hard to predict the trends, estuary is quite pervasive at the moment, but less so in the north. Maybe the south-eastern accents will meld together a bit more.
I dont really know much about any of this though really, its mainly guesswork.
you do realise you've just done their homework for them
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by preyingmantis)
you do realise you've just done their homework for them
Well they arent going to get a very good mark then are they?! I'm not exactly an expert in this field.
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Well they arent going to get a very good mark then are they?!
indeed they won't
Janki
I know most of the answers, I just need other peoples opinions/ answers
TK0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i tried but i got bored. im sorry.
Janki
some more answers would be great
I know this is a stupid topic :rolleyes:
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would think that the lancashire accent is more widely spoken than Estuary English - it is a very large, densely populated county.
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yes, I believe that people stereotype certain accents. For instance, not long ago, a lady lost her job at BBC World for speaking with an RP accent. She was told that she sounded "out of touch" and that people wanted a more friendly feel. There are other cases where people aren't accepted for jobs because of their accent.
Accents are important in all aspects of life. If someone speaks RP for instance in prison, they're hardly going to be the most popular inmate. A lot of the lower-classes don't pay any attention to verbal precision and speak with an Estuary English accent - i.e. they drop the H from the begining of words, they miss out the L and they avoid pronouncing the T in the middle of words.
3. Received pronunciation, Queen's English, Oxford English, Posh English -Do you think these are different terms for the same accent, or do you think they are different accents?
I think they refer to different types of RP. The Queen sounds very upper-class and talks how some would say "with a plum in her mouth". A BBC Newsreader however speaks RP, but without the plum. There are also some RP accents, which sound somewhat Estuary English - CBBC presents for example.
I like RP. I think it sounds nice, precise and intelligent. It's understood and liked by people all over the world, and by people with other accents.
This is what I call a snotty accent and something I associate with rich, spoilt, daddy's kids.
6. Queen's English: if you have some comments
Nice, but out-dated.
I've never heard of "Posh" English before. Is there really such a thing as posh?
8. Estuary English: room for your comments
I think of this accent as lazy English - people who originally spoke ok and deliberately derogatised their accent to "blend in".
I think of slang as an evolution of language. You can't fight it, so it's best to accept it. Many words we know today have come from slang - i.e. pram, fridge, mobile, TV and microwave. Some slang words have even been coined -i.e pommie and yank.
10. Some people say the Queen's accent has changed over the years. -Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent?
Yeah, I sit and listen to it for hours, noting any change in the intonation. I think it's enivetable that her accent has and will continue to change. Living in central London for instance, surrounded by Cockney speakers must influence her somehow. Also, the Queen watches EastEnders and that must be highly influential on the way she speaks - unless they edit the programme especially for her.
The Queen, James Bond, d, Peter Scissons, Trevor McDonald, Tony Blair, Terry Wogan, Most BBC presenters and Ken Barlow, which is interesting, seeing as he lives in Manchester.
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh? Yes, and I think this has been happening since the '80s. Any kid who goes out and speaks like James Bond will come home with 2 black eyes, a fat lip and a broken arm.

It's impossible to abolish an accent. Annoying or not, they're here to stay.
I'd like to think that I talk properly, but I actually speak with an Estuary English accent - deliberately improved of course.

Estuary English is spreading and is fast becoming the typical "British" accent. It's even used now in parts of Scotland and has received the Jockney. Give it anothter 50 years and RP will have completely died out. However, speaking of Estuary English, Americanisms are also spreading, so maybe our future accent will be some Cockney sound with an American twang... who knows?

Correcting the way people talk is pointless. Change is inevitable.
eleenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Janki)
Hi everyone,
I' m currently studying in the UK. I have to write an essay about British social class accents.
I have posted this questionnaire in 2 other forums before, because I need at least 30 people to answer it. It' s not spam

Yeah in advertising different social class accent a lot in product marketing and stuff like that so they must still be important i guess.

At university i was told by some of my peers that I was 'common' because i come from somewhere where we don't pronounce our T's. we say sumfink, ain't etc. Some daft people seem to think there's a link between accent and intelligence - ever noticed how Brummies are often cast as stupid on TV? At work there is less stigma towards accents as i think people judge more on merit in the business world.

-Do you think these are different terms for the same accent, or do you think they are different accents?
4. RP: your comments about RP - I think
6. Queen's English: if you have some comments - The Queen seems to have her own accent like no other. Its not the same as you're average 'posh' and i wouldn't say it was the same as RP which i tend to think of as being how that newsreader Moira thingemebob speaks. I have no idea what Oxford English is.

8. Estuary English: room for your comments: I think of this as Zoe Ball's accent.
**** is one of the greatests gifts to language and should be cherished. It shows how creative people can be with language and gives us more ways of describing the world we live in.

-Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent? No, I think people often change their accents throughout their lives for several reasons though.

11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP (most newsreaders), Queen's English (Prince Charles), Oxford English , posh English (Tara Palmer Tomkinson), Estuary speakers (Jamie Oliver?)...
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh? No I often think they are generally confident about their accents and not ashamed of them i think its more likely for someone whose accent who is 'common' to try to speak posh!
It would be so dull if everyone had the same accent - but i think people need to be more aware of the prejudices and assumptions they might make towards another person's accent. I'd be lying if I said i've never been irritated by someone with a really posh voice, and in the back of my mind thought they must be stuck up!

If there were no class accents then it might be possible to end any prejudices against accents and the class/social prejudices they are associated with but if you were to abolish them you'd have to decide which one to stick with and what makes one accent more worthy than another?
I have a southern accent that sounds cockney to everyone above the watford gap.

Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years?
Estuary? or something else?

If you know some good websites about British social class accents you can write them down here:

Thank you very much!!!
eleenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Janki)
Hi everyone,

Yeah in advertising different social class accent a lot in product marketing and stuff like that so they must still be important i guess.

At university i was told by some of my peers that I was 'common' because i come from somewhere where we don't pronounce our T's. we say sumfink, ain't etc. Some daft people seem to think there's a link between accent and intelligence - ever noticed how Brummies are often cast as stupid on TV? At work there is less stigma towards accents as i think people judge more on merit in the business world.

4. RP: your comments about RP - I think
6. Queen's English: if you have some comments - The Queen seems to have her own accent like no other. Its not the same as you're average 'posh' and i wouldn't say it was the same as RP which i tend to think of as being how that newsreader Moira thingemebob speaks. I have no idea what Oxford English is.

8. Estuary English: room for your comments: I think of this as Zoe Ball's accent.
**** is one of the greatests gifts to language and should be cherished. It shows how creative people can be with language and gives us more ways of describing the world we live in.

-Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent? No, I think people often change their accents throughout their lives for several reasons though.

11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP (most newsreaders), Queen's English (Prince Charles), Oxford English , posh English (Tara Palmer Tomkinson), Estuary speakers (Jamie Oliver?)...
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh? No I often think they are generally confident about their accents and not ashamed of them i think its more likely for someone whose accent who is 'common' to try to speak posh!
It would be so dull if everyone had the same accent - but i think people need to be more aware of the prejudices and assumptions they might make towards another person's accent. I'd be lying if I said i've never been irritated by someone with a really posh voice, and in the back of my mind thought they must be stuck up!

If there were no class accents then it might be possible to end any prejudices against accents and the class/social prejudices they are associated with but if you were to abolish them you'd have to decide which one to stick with and what makes one accent more worthy than another?
I have a southern accent that sounds cockney to everyone above the watford gap.

Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years?
Estuary? or something else?

Thank you very much!!!
metalslug14
Report 14 years ago
I am an international student, i.e. am looking forward to come to Britain (for the first time) for my higher education. Though have heard nice things about the English; and that most of them are friendly and easy to get along with and that there is not much racism. Therefore have drawn up the conclusion that I would have the best years of my life studying in UK. But after the class and accent question and all, would you mates say I have the correct information. Would I be in any sort of danger; physical, emotional or psychological or would I cherish the memories of my years in the UK for the rest of my life?
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
this may sound very ignorant but
what is rp?
im irish i just speak with a normal irish accent(i hope)
people listen to me and they dont know what class i sound.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't have an accent so it's difficult for me to comment.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Received pronunciation rules!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have a well-spoken/posh accent - i will need this if i wish to succeed in the Law
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
this may sound very ignorant but
what is rp?
RP = Received pronunciation. The accent you have when you have learned to speak "correct" English, replacing your original accent.

I have found that almost anyone who says they don't have an accent is lying, or at best misled. You may not hear one, but it's almost certainly there.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
RP = Received pronunciation. The accent you have when you have learned to speak "correct" English, replacing your original accent.

I have found that almost anyone who says they don't have an accent is lying, or at best misled. You may not hear one, but it's almost certainly there.
my brother has almost no accent at all (people seriously cannot guess at all where he is from, wheras my twin has a slight scottish accent + i have a bit of a merseyside one). i think that's probably due to us moving round at an early age (hence me + my twin having quite different accents, although neither are at all strong. i also got bought up hearing a mixture of accents- my dad is glaswegian and my mum is a londener (although again she only has a slight accent due to similar reasons)

lou xxx
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Everyone has an accent. Of course you won't notice an accent because that's what you're used to but ask an American what accent you have and they'll certainly have a different opinion to you.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (668)
80.68%
Leave (160)
19.32%

Watched Threads