This discussion is closed.
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Sazzle)
No it's definately good too, I wish I'd asked more questions and thought more about my A-level choices at that time - would probably done completely different things!
yeah regret is the worst thing to live with, which is why i plan most things before i go ahead, but i swear i can be spontanious at times!!! :rolleyes:
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
yeah regret is the worst thing to live with, which is why i plan most things before i go ahead, but i swear i can be spontanious at times!!! :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi Me2,

well... it might be a bit late because it looks like you already decided. In answer to your question, I'd say, no specific subject are required. You definitely need to get as many As as you possibly can. So make sure you're comfortable with your subjects.

Personally I'd say, take English Literature, it'll help you a lot and will be appreciated. History would help as well, but it's a lot of work. Could be useful though. A language is important, do take French as you decided, the course is a joke, you should be able to get an A.

As someone else already said, there's still the option of the law conversion course. If you're very good at sciences, you might think about doing a BSc and then a law conversion course. Then you can become a patent attorney, which are quite sought after, I'm told. Their job is basically to explain complex patents (i.e. copyrights of things such as discoveries/inventions in Biotechnology) to judges who haven't got a clue.

Hope this is of some help to you. All the best!
Me2
Rep:
?
ok i was talking to a careers person in school and she advised me to take:

- Government and Politics
- English Lit and Lang
- geography

and either maths or history

(and french, which i'm doing no matter what)

would this be right? and would doing government and politcs be better than biology? also, should i do maths or history? pls help! i can't decide!! :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds good to me... if you are confident to get As in these... Are you more of a science person or do you prefer the arts? If you prefer the arts, I'd say GovPol + History, if sciences then biology and maths... you need As remember, no point working yourself to death on a subject you're not comfortable with and ending up getting bad grades. You need to know which ones are better suited for you. That's most important.
One thing I can say though is that history is a lot of work.
Me2
Rep:
?
well i'm happy enough with geography, and english lit and lang (especially as this is what everyone says you have to do), i don't know much about g&p, but i think i'd rather to maths than history.... i'm generally really good at biology, but the coursework is scaring me!! so i don't know, and i need to choose within the month!!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
well i'm happy enough with geography, and english lit and lang (especially as this is what everyone says you have to do), i don't know much about g&p, but i think i'd rather to maths than history.... i'm generally really good at biology, but the coursework is scaring me!! so i don't know, and i need to choose within the month!!
My best mate did Biology AS, he had to measure about a hundred or so ivy leaves! I couldn't believe it when he told me that! I thought it was soo stupid. But don't let that put you off.

Do Biology and Maths then. Get advice about the coursework from teachers and 6th formers. Good luck!
Me2
Rep:
?
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Get advice about the coursework from teachers and 6th formers. Good luck!
well i've been asking some of the 6th formers about which subjects to choose and half have said g&p and history, the other half have said maths and biology! gee useful

i am now starting to think that AAA is a bit beyond me, and maybe i should try something less challenging...?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
...i am now starting to think that AAA is a bit beyond me, and maybe i should try something less challenging...?
No! Aim high! Law is competitive. You must never think you can't make it. You will! Make sure you'll be able to cope with the workload though. Ok, just ask them about biology coursework, if that's what worries you. If you find it too scary, do g&p. It really depends on how you feel. What would you like to do? Which are you more comfortable with? Sciences or Arts?

Another possibility would be g&p and maths, for example. A mix of both arts and sciences. You have ask yourself and trust in your own judgement. Don't get too stressed. You haven't even done GCSEs yet. You'll always be able to change subjects at the beginning of 6th form, my school was very flexible with that.
Me2
Rep:
?
yes i tend to aim high, i have often been called 'mad' for aiming that high! i don't usually doubt myself, but i do know my boundaries, but A-levels are all new!

i think i probably will do a mix; maths and g&p as i think this would be the best, probably only doing maths to AS and g&p to A level. thank you for your help!

in my school you can also change, but not too much as they already set out the blocks when the application forms go in, so you can only change to something in that block. :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
yes i tend to aim high, i have often been called 'mad' for aiming that high! i don't usually doubt myself, but i do know my boundaries, but A-levels are all new!

i think i probably will do a mix; maths and g&p as i think this would be the best, probably only doing maths to AS and g&p to A level. thank you for your help!

in my school you can also change, but not too much as they already set out the blocks when the application forms go in, so you can only change to something in that block. :rolleyes:
You'll be fine! I'm a bit of a pessimist myself, but I never let anyone tell me I can't do something! Don't listen if someone calls you mad. They're just lazy. For lazy people everything is too much. Don't worry about A-levels. If you work hard throughout the year and do your assignments on time, you'll be fine and you won't be stressed, which is most important. If you need help with English, pm me The mix looks good to me.

*takes crystal ball* I see a great lawyer...
Me2
Rep:
?
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
*takes crystal ball* I see a great lawyer...
thank you

anyway, i'm sure i know this! but is it you that is wanting to do law? at durham? or am i mistaking you for someone else?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.16%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.58%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (128)
36.99%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (35)
10.12%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
5.49%

Watched Threads