For all AS scientists.. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Piggy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Sorry for being selfish and starting a whole new thread but I just want your opinions - for a career vaguely to do with science, is biology or physics better? Also, people doing both which is easier and more interesting? Thanks!
xlouisedoll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is the career? I guess it depends on that really.
Piggy
Rep:
?
(Original post by xlouisedoll)
What is the career? I guess it depends on that really.
Not too sure - just something to do with science perhaps a researcher
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
maybe drop french if you are going into science, so do both phys and bio.
Piggy
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkenergy)
maybe drop french if you are going into science, so do both phys and bio.
Ah see, I'm having difficulty choosing 2 out of french/bio/phy. I definitely want to go into science and not languages, but isnt having an contrasting arts subject good for unis? Also, it seems a shame not to take french when it was my best gcse result! Not too sure whether I'd enjoy it though..
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You don't have to have a arts subject, sometimes all sciences and maths is a good thing, sometimes having a broad range of subjects is useful, it depends on the admissions tutor. Don't quote me on this but I reckon Oxbridge would be more inclined to see all sciences and maths.
Piggy
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkenergy)
You don't have to have a arts subject, sometimes all sciences and maths is a good thing, sometimes having a broad range of subjects is useful, it depends on the admissions tutor. Don't quote me on this but I reckon Oxbridge would be more inclined to see all sciences and maths.
No, that's right sadly. I rang up Oxbridge and they both said that although they say otherwise in prospectuses, for sciency courses like medicine they want all sciences and maths. If i do decide that then i may have a nervous breakdown though! Physics seems really hard...
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no physics is fine, since you have 12A*'s!!!
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you're looking to go into a scientific career I'd say do biology and physics, not French.
Piggy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aired)
If you're looking to go into a scientific career I'd say do biology and physics, not French.
Dratty drat - so having all sciences, maths and further maths won't make me look narrow minded to other unis apart from Oxbridge? Also Anyone doing this think that it is exhausting? I may go into pharmacology - is biology necessary for this? I guess it's down to which I think is more important - choosing a subject I am really good at and enjoy but is useless for me to study for 2 years, or take a chance of having a mental breakdown and do physics which I find concepts hard to understand but will be good for me in the long run.....DRAT!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
People with good chemistry and biology grades tend to study medicine at university.

People with good physics and maths grades tend to study engineering, maths or economics at university.

Essentially both straight physics and straight biology courses are crying out for applicants with good grades - biology tends to be less desperate but with more flexibility (if they like you and think you'll cope with the course then they'll let you in with a B or even a C at A level even at the very best universities), physics is more desperate for students but generally more picky over good grades (AB in physics+maths is generally about as low as they'll go to get onto a course at the best physics unis).

If you want to go into research biology is the booming area at the moment - but there's also a severe lack of physicists and chemists so although there are fewer jobs there are generally far fewer applicants for those jobs too.
sugarwhirl89
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Pharmacology I think the only required science is Chemistry I think, and if you're going for it, Biology would probably be more useful. (My half sister took Pharmacology and she didn't do Physics).
MissSurfer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I haven't read all the replies so sorry if it's been mentioned, but if you're doing Maths and Further Maths and you have no personal preference over Biology or Physics then i'd say to Biology. I've recently been looking at entry requirements for Natural Sciences degrees, and they say to take the physics options on the course you need either maths OR physics. Obviously both would be better but to do the biology options you need A level biology. So, doing biology would leave more options open. (Unless, of course, you really want to do a straight Physics degree, in which case Physics is probably the better choice!). Hope you understand this...I'm not very good at explaining things!

MissSurfer
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
32.65%
No - I got the required grades (27)
55.1%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (6)
12.24%

Watched Threads