This discussion is closed.
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I'm just wondering how much work experience other people who are thinking of applying for veterinary medicine/science are doing?
I have looked through a view prospectus' but they all seem to vary a bit.

Perhaps someone who has got into a veterinary course could give me some advice on what type of work experience to get.

So far I have done 1 week at a vets practice, and I'm going to another vets for week in a couple of days, and a week on a dairy farm at easter.
I know I'm going to need more but I'm only in 6th Lower so their is plenty of time yet.

Any advice is appreciated.
Psyche
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
So far what you've done sounds good.

I'd say generally try to get at least 2 weeks in a Veterinary practice -mainly so that you can have some clinical cases to talk about at interviews. Farm work is always good and perhaps try spending a day or two in an abbatoir. It's not exactly the nicest thing, but shows you're committed. Also if you can get some experience in another type of farm (I went to an Organic Rare breeds place) it looks quite good. And hmm, depending on what you wanna go into, work in a kennels/cattery perhaps or in a laboratory or research centre.

Try and total about 6 weeks all together and see a wide range of cases.

Don't stress about it yet. I did the majority of my experience in the summer hols before I applied (kinda left it to the last minute!).

Hope that helped.

Good luck with it all! If you wanna know more anytime then just PM me. I'd be happy to help.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh I cant agree with Psyche more!
The dairy/lambing farm work is very useful, and if you can do something different - then do. If you have done something which is different to everyone else aplying then you may be remembered and it is likely to come up in interview.
The prospectus' give prospective candidates a guide, and a lot of people Ive spoken to who have done well in the admissions rounds have gone beyond those guidelines.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did an internship at the local wildlife center for the duration of my courses, and the summer after I got a temporary job at a local vet clinic. Not sure how much experience they look for over there, but here in the states most places want a good deal of it to prove you can handle yourself. And that's just for veterinary assistant.
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
Hi,

I'm just wondering how much work experience other people who are thinking of applying for veterinary medicine/science are doing?
I have looked through a view prospectus' but they all seem to vary a bit.

Perhaps someone who has got into a veterinary course could give me some advice on what type of work experience to get.

So far I have done 1 week at a vets practice, and I'm going to another vets for week in a couple of days, and a week on a dairy farm at easter.
I know I'm going to need more but I'm only in 6th Lower so their is plenty of time yet.

Any advice is appreciated.
farm work is best, particulary lambing and working with cows
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by preyingmantis)
farm work is best, particulary lambing and working with cows
Yeah until they hand you one of those really long gloves. :eek:
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
Yeah until they hand you one of those really long gloves. :eek:
well all you have to do is shove it up the ass...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads