Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, over the summer break I've been set the topic of circulation and one of the questions requires the use of a CGP Biology Revision Guide which I don't have. So if anyone has one of these, can they tell me what it says about the adaptations of a Red Blood Cell.

Thanks so much.

Vicki

ReputationRep:
    1.Their job is to carry oxygen to all the cells in the body.
    2.They have a flying doughnut shape to give maximum surface area for absorbing oxygen.
    3.They contain haemoglobin when combined with oxygen which is very red, and which contains alot of iron.
    4.In the lungs, haemoglobin absorbs oxygen to become oxyhaemoglobin. In body tissue the reverse happens to release oxygen to the cells.
    5.Red blood cells have no need for a nucleus, so they don't have one, making more room for haemoglobin.
    6.They are also doughnut shaped rather than tall to allow smooth passage through the capillaries.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsmithson)
    1.Their job is to carry oxygen to all the cells in the body.
    2.They have a flying doughnut shape to give maximum surface area for absorbing oxygen.
    3.They contain haemoglobin when combined with oxygen which is very red, and which contains alot of iron.
    4.In the lungs, haemoglobin absorbs oxygen to become oxyhaemoglobin. In body tissue the reverse happens to release oxygen to the cells.
    5.Red blood cells have no need for a nucleus, so they don't have one, making more room for haemoglobin.
    6.They are also doughnut shaped rather than tall to allow smooth passage through the capillaries.

Hope that helps.
    Biconcave = scientific way of saying 'doughnut shaped'

haemoglobin doesn't contain a lot of iron though... each haemoglobin contains 4 haem groups. The haem group is a complex of an the tranision metal iron in the form of a Fe 2+ ion. Each haem group has one iron ion in and so that in total makes 4 iron molecules of iron in haemoglobin, which is practically nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Biconcave = scientific way of saying 'doughnut shaped'

haemoglobin doesn't contain a lot of iron though... each haemoglobin contains 4 haem groups. The haem group is a complex of an the tranision metal iron in the form of a Fe 2+ ion. Each haem group has one iron ion in and so that in total makes 4 iron molecules of iron in haemoglobin, which is practically nothing.
    But millions of haemoglobin molecules in a red blood cell and millions of red blood cells in the blood, so there is a lot of iron in the blood (well I suppose it depends on your definition of lots!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, that's a great help eveyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoron)
    But millions of haemoglobin molecules in a red blood cell and millions of red blood cells in the blood, so there is a lot of iron in the blood (well I suppose it depends on your definition of lots!)
    That's very true

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about, she asked for GCSE Biology help not AS/A Level help, and what I wrote is exactly from the CGP Biology book, like she asked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsmithson)
    What are you talking about, she asked for GCSE Biology help not AS/A Level help, and what I wrote is exactly from the CGP Biology book, like she asked...
    A lesson to learn for life:

Don't believe everything you read!

Look at point 6) on the list if you need more clarification... :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Don't laugh at me, laugh at the people who produce CGP books, I don't wish to argue as at the end of the day it ain't my problem, for the OP's question, what I typed is exactly what you'll get with the book requested (whether right or wrong).

Alex.

ReputationRep:
    If you've been given a specific question then post it on here and we might be able to piece together an answer for you.

That's if this poblem isn't revoled now?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.