This discussion is closed.
CW Esq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Watkins you are incredibly racist
How on earth is that racist?! It was an observation! Would you be saying the same thing if I said whites were doing it?
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
.. Where exactly do these people plan to plug these TVs in?
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by theinternet)
Part of me things if they can get the army in there, they can get aid workers in there, and therefore there would be no need to loot.
Getting the army and aid workers in N.O. doesn't do any good. They have to get the people out of N.O., there's no toilets, no water, no power, no phones, no place to sleep, no place to eat, there's filth, bodies, rats, animals, suage, oil etc floating around over 80% of the city.

The city is being evacuated, I doubt people will be bringing their looted wide screens with them.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
.. Where exactly do these people plan to plug these TVs in?
wherever they wind up living, probably
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CW Esq)
How on earth is that racist?! It was an observation! Would you be saying the same thing if I said whites were doing it?
If it wasn't designed to be racist, why point out that it was largely blacks doing the looting? In answer to your second question, no I wouldn't, but then again I doubt you'd be quick to point out that it was largely whites doing the looting if that was the case.
CW Esq
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Gracious, I can see why you got those grades.
Racht70
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
IMO yes it is acceptable ...it would be basic instinct (I have kiddies)I would do it for food,water and anything else to survive...but TVs and things is just daylight robbery and absolutly disgusting.

My thoughts are with them ALL anyway.
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I must admit, I would try and loot some Cartier watches. It's not acceptable, but oh, how I love them so...
rainjan_4now
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Watkins you are incredibly racist
*ahem*

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...72#post2922972

EDIT: horrible post removed, but not forgotten :mad:
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Food/water: yes. Guns/TV's: No. What the hell are you going to do with a TV anyway?
Lord Waddell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suppose its acceptable, since there isn't any point in bread going mouldy while thousands of people are starving outside (and no-one is going to buy it, anyway). But only food, blankets and liquid (when I say that, NOT $2000 worth of champagne). But thats as far as it goes, so no new Playstations, no Ipods and no diamond watches (although it begs the question what the hell you would do with a Playstation or a Ipod anyway).
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Food/water: yes. Guns/TV's: No.
I strongly agree.
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
If a homeless man walks into a supermarket and is caught stealing food and water he'll be punished for stealling! Likewise if someone loots food and water they'll be punished for looting.

Though it may be understandable, it doesn't make it right. In the end of the day it is against the law. A government can't differenciate between looting a TV or looting food and drink because if they say it's fine to loot food and drink everyone would do it.

Also, you'd have people thinking, if it's alright for me to go and loot food and drink, why can't i loot a TV?

I admit, however, that threatening to shoot looters is on the harsh side but I understand this as the American government desperately trying to control uncontrollable looting.

Interesting point: if it's okay to loot in this case why is it not okay for starving homeless people to steal?
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Some of them are making off with tellies, they dont need the TV to live and they dont have anywhere to plug it in and watch. I would steal food and drink to live, but not stuff to make a profit from people who are suffering.
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
IMO it is perfectly acceptable to steal what is required for survival; just as it is unacceptable for someone to deprive another person of what is required for survival. It could also be said that when fighting for survival we are basically animals, who do all they can to survive. We don't mind blackbirds not thinking "I can't eat that worm, it might belong to someone". Besides, food isn't that expensive anyway.

Looting value goods is of course unethical, I think most people will agree on that. But if everyone else was taking advantage of the situation I would find it damn hard to resist. Especially if I was about to be suffering major finance problems like those with flooded homes probably will. Sure I'd feel guilty, but I'd get over it.

*waits for neg rep, teeth gritted*
Stick Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but not stuff to make a profit from people who are suffering.
In this scenario you're suffering too, and from what I've seen on the news its every man for himself. If I was in this situation I honestly don't think I'd give a flying f*** about Argos losing an iPod.
rainjan_4now
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mdm708)
In this scenario you're suffering too, and from what I've seen on the news its every man for himself. If I was in this situation I honestly don't think I'd give a flying f*** about Argos losing an iPod.
But, in that situation why would you be thinking about an iPod?
Stick Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rainjan_4now)
But, in that situation why would you be thinking about an iPod?
If I see evryone looting stuff, I may well think; "Hey I've suffered just as much as thos eguys, I want my share." An iPod was just an example, it could be anything I could carry,

Edit: Also chances are the battery in my Zen Micro will have gone down by then and I'd be bored
JohnC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Food/water: yes. Guns/TV's: No. What the hell are you going to do with a TV anyway?
:yy:
rainjan_4now
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mdm708)
If I see evryone looting stuff, I may well think; "Hey I've suffered just as much as thos eguys, I want my share." An iPod was just an example, it could be anything I could carry,

Edit: Also chances are the battery in my Zen Micro will have gone down by then and I'd be bored
I suppose its easy to join the masses, and i've never experienced people looting everywhere around me during a natural disaster, but i still have principles, and i cannot bring myself to take what isn't rightfully mine, or offered to me- unless i knew some good would come out of it- e.g. given a thirsty person a drink of stolen evian or perrier.

Looting imo just adds further problems to a terrible situation.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
30.77%
No - I got the required grades (29)
55.77%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.46%

Watched Threads