Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    and i cannot bring myself to take what isn't righfully mine,
    Me niether, given my current fairly confortable situation listening to music and chatting online in a fairly comfy chair. I don't want to argue this point too far for fear of sounding too much like a bad person, but if I had nothing in the world, I would want something, even a straw to clutch at. If the most attractive straw happens to have a 64-bit CPU or support for WMA's then so be it.

(Edit: that came across as if to imply its accepatble to steal a laptop as a metaphorical straw: it isn't, but I daresay I'd be tempted to do it anyway, without a thing left in the world.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW Esq)
    Gracious, I can see why you got those grades.
    Ah, my signature had its desired effect. Although the idiot I had in mind was not you, you shall suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Proves my point about Haberdashers being a poor excuse for a Public school.

ReputationRep:
    Proves my point about Haberdashers being a poor excuse for a Public school.
    Haha well.. I don't go to Haberdashers. Where do you/did you go? Second-rate public school I'll wager.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they broke into a large Walmart and raided it, Walmart here in England is ASDA, correct? And what were they robbing from the Walmart, food or other stuff? The number of police on the streets is now 30,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeus)
    I'm writing after having seen clips of the aftermath of the hurricane in New Orleans. Thousands of people have been left homeless and without food or drink. A substantial number of these have begun to loot shops and buildings in their area. The US national guard has said it will shoot any looters it comes accross but I was wondering if people think that in such circumstances people have a right to do whatever necessary to survive, even if it means looting.
    I agree. If it means degrading into serious ill health with a possibility of death then looting is the lesser evil surely? Take the lesser evil, this is an instance of necessity.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry, I didn't realise it was a black city. The accents down there are incredible though!
    65% black, I think. There was a young woman on a forum I contributed to who lived there and was most definitely white. (She was attending Tulane University).

ReputationRep:
    A lot more people would be dead were it not for them looting food/water. In circumstances where your life depends on it, yes looting is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    i'd be wondering why, when a hurricane was forecast, these people didnt stock up on food and then get out of there.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're poor?
    I don't know why that would stop them either, but there must be a very good reason.

ReputationRep:
    The government have now said they will allow looting of food, drink and clothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kontroversial)
    Apparently they broke into a large Walmart and raided it, Walmart here in England is ASDA, correct? And what were they robbing from the Walmart, food or other stuff? The number of police on the streets is now 30,000.

ASDA is now owned by Walmart, but it's not quite the same thing. It's not the only place getting raided though. Hm.

(Original post by technik)
    i'd be wondering why, when a hurricane was forecast, these people didnt stock up on food and then get out of there.
    This is all with hindsight. Hurricanes batter parts of the US on a regular basis. I've never seen anything even remotely like this reported on the television though. I guess they all thought it would be pretty bad, but something that they could ride out. Advice was given to evacuate, but I guess people weren't taking it as seriously as they now wish that they had. Evacuating entire cities is a big thing, I don't think people would want to do that as a precaution for fear of it being unnecessary. We now know that getting out would've been a good idea. Before that, most people thought it was just a bad storm that would've blown over.

Mind you, I'm told by those who know about weather and all that that it's been threatening to happen for some time now. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    Southerners have a thing about leaving home. It's strange, but most of them, particularly the elderly, just stubbornly refuse to leave their homes, even if staying puts them in great danger. It's difficult for those unfamiliar with the South to understand this entirely, but I'm not surprised in the least that many people stayed put.

ReputationRep:
    Is it morally acceptable in a situation of disaster? I think that, the looting of food and water is acceptable in this case. At a time when there is no aid, society has effectively collapsed, and people need to fight for survival, then yes, it is acceptable. In London following the July bombs, supermarkets such as Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury’s gave water to people caught up in the chaos - they realised that it was needed, and it is needed in New Orleans now.

Personally, I don’t see that the situation is comparable to that of a homeless person on the streets of a civilized town. Currently, New Orleans is not civilised. It cannot be. There is no social structure, no normal life, simply devastation, disaster, and an overwhelming need to survive. If there is no aid, and food and water can be obtained by looting, then yes, it should be viewed as acceptable. For a homeless person on the streets of any one of more major cities tonight, yes, life for them is tragic and hard and they too need to survive and yet there are ways for that. Here, we have a social structure, there is no disaster, there is help - though not enough - available.

As a separate note, those looting things other than food and drink are stupid, it is pointless and this should not be viewed as acceptable.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.