This discussion is closed.
blag dahlia112
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
are these correct?
1.)
Prove that 2 consecutives numbers multiplied are even...
(2n) (2n+1) = 4n^2 + 2n

and since 2n + 2n proves that 2 evens added must be even and both the number in the above answer are even (both divide by 2) so will be even.

2.)
Prove that any 3 consecutive numbers are divisible by 3?
(x)(x+1)(x+2) = 3(x+1)

if the second one is correct then how do you get 3(x+1) from factorising the brackets?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blag dahlia112)
are these correct?
1.)
(2n) (2n+1) = 4n^2 + 2n

and since 2n + 2n proves that 2 evens added must be even and both the number in the above answer are even (both divide by 2) so will be even.

2.)
(x)(x+1)(x+2) = 3(x+1)

if the second one is correct then how do you get 3(x+1) from factorising the brackets?
For the first one, just say that in the right hand side multiplying by 4 and 2 ensures an even number result.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are these correct?

2.)
(x)(x+1)(x+2) = 3(x+1)

Provided 2) is written "Prove that the SUM of any 3 consecutive numbers is divisible by 3", then:

(x) + (x+1) + (x+2) = 3x + 3

= 3 (x+1)
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In the second,

x(x+1)(x+2) = x(x^2+3x+3) = x^3+3x^2+3x and the multiplications by 3 ensure a result divisible by 3... I think...
blag dahlia112
what Expression sed is right so (hopefully) i just copied out the qu. wrong

ZJuwellH is wrong because of the addition which could make it wrong i think? because it would divide by 3 but then x^3 is added so i'm not sure if it would still divide by 3
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are these correct?
1.)
(2n) (2n+1) = 4n^2 + 2n

2.)
(x)(x+1)(x+2) = 3(x+1)

Nice way to write your solution to the first one would simply be to take out the two giving 2(2n^2+n). Since this is divisible by two, it must be even.

If the second is the product of three consecutive numbers, then one of the three must be a multiple of three. Therefore, it will have 3 as a factor.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what Expression sed is right so (hopefully) i just copied out the qu. wrong

ZJuwellH is wrong because of the addition which could make it wrong i think? because it would divide by 3 but then x^3 is added so i'm not sure if it would still divide by 3
You're right, I just went through it with x = 2 and it's wrong. theone's online now, better talk to him...
blag dahlia112
yeah ok i think i've got it all now

thanks

btw do you know any other possible proofs involving consecutive numbers which have appeared on past gcse papers?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
Nice way to write your solution to the first one would simply be to take out the two giving 2(2n^2+n). Since this is divisible by two, it mus be even.

If the second is the product of three consecutive numbers, then one of the three must be a multiple of three. Therefore, it will have 3 as a factor.
Or the Fred Flinstone guy is pretty good too...
blag dahlia112
yeah i think expression got it right though and i probably wrote down the question one
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you could say that in any two consecutive numbers, one is even and one is odd, and an even times an odd is always even.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads